Please show some love for the Gauntlet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dullmaker

Please show some love for the Gauntlet

Post by dullmaker »

I have the Gauntlet and am in love with the oval cbn stones and get better and much faster results than I ever got from the Sharp Maker. The longer stone offers more surface area to grind on with each stroke.
Please offer the Gauntlet in more angle choices. I would use it more if it could do 15dps. As it only does 20DPS, I find its use limited for me. As I remember being mentioned here in the past, just a light finishing stroke or two on the Gauntlet cbn stones makes my edges more satisfying to use. I would even purchase a separate base for each angle, that is how much I like the cats eye set up. I wouldn’t be opposed to more cbn grit choices offered as well in the future.
Am I alone? Would anyone else want 15dps offered as well?
Bruce
Last edited by dullmaker on Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WilliamMunny

Re: Please show some love for the Gauntlet

Post by WilliamMunny »

I have the Sharpmaker but the oval shape of the stones make a lot more sense. Just more consistent contact with the knife edge if you are not perfectly square to the flat side of the stone.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Needs 15dps. I have one and rarely use it except for serrated knives with 20dps.

15dps and some more stone choices it would replace sharpmaker. I like the cats eye stones better.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

The way the cats eye stones fit in to the base allows you more choices to position the stones, and fits more securely. The cbn stone for the Gauntlet also feels more aggressive to me than the Sharpmaker’s cbn.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Not to hijack this thread but I’ve just bought a galley V and CBN rods and would like something in between the white ceramics and the coarse CBN for my H1/H2 steels (which I’ve taken to running coarse (~320 grit) of late). I’ve heard they’re interchangeable with the gauntlet’s rods, so I’m all for more options 👍🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

dullmaker wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:01 pm
The cbn stone for the Gauntlet also feels more aggressive to me than the Sharpmaker’s cbn.
Could be that the sharpmaker cBN you have is more worn.

Fresh, new electroplated coated abrasives will be more aggressive out of box and will fade with use until needing replacement.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I also like the oval stones. Yes for an in-between grit (similar to DMT fine 600 grit), and for a 15 dps base.

I think the oval stones are more effective because:
- they are longer than the SM triangles
- they contact the blade edge in a smaller area than the SM flats, so higher pressure at the contact point.
- the rounded profile allows for a larger margin for error in horisontal hand movement and still remains in contact with the edge. With the SM it is hard to keep the blade aligned with the flats on the triangles, and one tends to grind more towards the edges, even if the intention is to grind on the flats (if that makes sense).
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:19 pm
I also like the oval stones. Yes for an in-between grit (similar to DMT fine 600 grit), and for a 15 dps base.

- they contact the blade edge in a smaller area than the SM flats, so higher pressure at the contact point.
- the rounded profile allows for a larger margin for error in horisontal hand movement and still remains in contact with the edge. With the SM it is hard to keep the blade aligned with the flats on the triangles, and one tends to grind more towards the edges, even if the intention is to grind on the flats (if that makes sense).
This is exactly my experience with the Oval stones - they are much easier to use, especially for me when it comes to the very tip of the blade.

Oval Stones > Triangle

However the Gauntlet base is....not where it's at. Only 20 degrees, its absurdly large (about the size of medium running shoe), and the method of stone storage offers no protection from drops, and in fact if you pick up the base wrong the stones can slide out (as nearly happened to me taking this picture.

Note the size difference vs Sharpmaker.

I'd like to see a slim, travelable (toss in a backpack or suitcase) base for the Oval stones, with 10-15-20-25 degree angles.
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:42 pm
dullmaker wrote:
The cbn stone for the Gauntlet also feels more aggressive to me than the Sharpmaker’s cbn.

Fresh, new electroplated coated abrasives will be more aggressive out of box and will fade with use until needing replacement.
You right, mine are worn.

Btw,
Are we ever gonna see a Spyderco/BBB Cats Eye stone collaboration with the cbn or diamond throughout instead of just coated? I saving up just in case.

Bruce
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:19 pm

Makes complete sense. I agree. I definitely am making more contact with the oval as it more forgiving.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

dullmaker wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:10 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
dullmaker wrote:

Btw,
Are we ever gonna see a Spyderco/BBB Cats Eye stone collaboration with the cbn or diamond throughout instead of just coated? I saving up just in case.

Bruce
Anything is possible but currently nothings in the works.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:03 pm
dullmaker wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:10 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
dullmaker wrote:

Btw,

Bruce
Anything is possible but currently nothings in the works.
I’ll be saving just in case as the cats eye stones are my favorite Spyderco stones and a BBB limited edition is worth any price for them