Byrd Comet Hole

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Frozenspyder

Byrd Comet Hole

Post by Frozenspyder »

I just realized that the comet hole on the Byrds makes me hesitant to carry them over a Spyderco. It looks cool, it's functional, and it's not entirely uncomfortable. It just somehow doesn't quite feel right when opening the knife. So I'm just wondering what others think of the comet shaped hole on the Byrds.
Cl1ff

Re: Byrd Comet Hole

Post by Cl1ff »

I’ve found it to be just fine.
It is a slightly different feel, but I’ve gotten used to it.

I did just think of something, though.
Normally, I like a decently crisp opening hole because of its reliability, but I would not mind if the narrower “tail” part of the Comet shaped hole had a chamfer.
That part is not the main area where your finger engages and a chamfer would allow it to more smoothly interact with your thumb/finger in the opening arc.

Do that, while leaving the rest of the hole crisp for reliability, and you might get smoother operations. Could end up making the narrow part easier to clean at the same time.

Now I actually have to put this to practice on my Hawkbill. I’ll modify the hole and get back to this thread when I’ve found out whether this idea is worthwhile.

Aesthetically and conceptually, I very much enjoy the Comet shape. Some designs it actually looks better than just a round hole.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I like the comet hole. But it's mostly an appearance thing. Like Cliff, I don't feel that much of a difference. But I don't have fat fingers and that could make a distance. There is a lot more surface area for contact though.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I don't like the comet hole.
vivi

Post by vivi »

works fine for me
:unicorn
z1r

Post by z1r »

Three days a week I carry both a Byrd and a Spyderco. Even with gloves, the comet hole has never been an issue, no more difficult to operate than a Spyderco.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'm interested in the chamfered tail idea. If Cliff thinks it works well, I might have to give it a try.
dpg

Post by dpg »

Doesn’t bother me. What I wonder is how it came to be called a comet. I always thought it to represent a bird’s eye, maybe just b/c of the theme. Looked up first Byrd, it was the Harrier. Looked up pictures of a Harrier’s eye. Maybe it fits? At least maybe a more palatable shape for people if it has that theme connection?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Image Image

I tried out a crude little chamfer on one side.
I actually noticed that the hole is already the tiniest bit knocked down from factory.

Honestly, this didn’t make any difference to me.
It just feels a bit less crisp to the touch.
I never had any issue to begin with and still don’t.

I think fully “crowning” the tail part of the comet hole would actually help keep stuff from getting stuck in there, but it’s not like it takes more than a second to clean as is. No more or less of an issue than the Spyderco round holes.

Ultimately, I would not care if Byrd knives chamfered or crowned specifically the tail part of the hole.
It is neither a positive or negative to me.

I could have gotten back to this way sooner, but I’ve been working a lot of overtime recently and have been gotten sick twice since Christmas.

I would crown it just to try that out too, but I don’t how I would go about it. Seems like more trouble than it is worth.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

How’s that work as a bottle opener?
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

jwbnyc wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:50 pm
How’s that work as a bottle opener?
No idea, I don’t drink.