S30V or SPY27

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James_Dee

S30V or SPY27

Post by James_Dee »

Hello, I'm a newcomer seeking guidance in selecting a knife for everyday carry (EDC) on this forum. After some research, I've narrowed down my choices to the Native 5 Lightweight, but I'm having difficulty deciding between the S30V and SPY27 steel options. I've always carried budget knives without much consideration for steel quality, so this marks my first venture into purchasing a higher-end blade. Additionally, this will be my initial experience with Spyderco knives.

I'm relatively inexperienced in knife maintenance and sharpening, so I'm wondering which of these steels, S30V or SPY27, is more manageable for maintenance and sharpening. Is the Spyderco Sharpmaker a suitable sharpening system for someone with limited experience, or would you recommend an alternative?

I'm also curious about the long-term aesthetics of the black blade – will it maintain its appearance and coating with regular use, or would it be more practical to opt for the satin/silver blades?

If you believe the Native 5 might not be the best choice for my first Spyderco or given my experience level, please feel free to suggest an alternative knife.

Thank you!
Michael Janich

Re: S30V or SPY27

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear James_Dee:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Windward

Post by Windward »

Welcome to the forum. Between the 2, i like spy27 personally. There is actually a current thread conparing the 2 on a native5 right now. Ton of good info, and should answer all uou questions involving the steels....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96044

To answer the second part of your question. The black coating is DLC (diamond like coating), its really strong. With hard use. Sure it wears a little but not anything like paint or cerkote. I like it, and actually prefer the look as it wears in.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James_Dee wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:19 am
Hello, I'm a newcomer seeking guidance in selecting a knife for everyday carry (EDC) on this forum. ....

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

A weird coincidence (if it is one..) but someone else has asked the exact same question (exact same knife and steels)a just very short time ago - so see that thread linked below, it should give you the info you need:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96044#p1763660
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The SPY27 would be my pick.

Having several S30V knives I find the SPY27 a better steel to sharpen.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

I doubt you'll notice much difference between those steels as they should be in the same class and it's difficult to even reliably discern between different classes of steels. Many report seeing big differences between similar types of steels but I believe this is mainly to do with differences in sharpening/maintennance, variances in actual materials cut, cutting techniques/slop, etc. Especially when the effects of those factors are compounded together to amplify the influence as a whole.

All of these factors can and do make a far bigger difference in performance than simply changing steels. The only way to reduce the effect of these factors to honestly compare steels is to do large volume cutting trials (preferably blind where the person cutting doesn't know what the steel is). Nobody here is doing this kind of work anymore since the passing of Cliff Stamp, he did loads of it and we were quite spoiled with the increase in understanding it produced.

Since I feel compelled to give an answer between SPY27 and S30V, I'd say it depends on what you are cutting in general as to what may have a slight edge. SPY27 may also show an advantage on the Sharpmaker as I suspect it has less vanadium carbide as well which will really increase the volume of work in grinding potentially.

SPY27 as shown below appears to have a lower carbide volume than S30V which may be better if you're harder on your knives as the S30V may tend more towards brittle failure potentially. I generally tend to lean towards lower carbide volumes because I prefer lower edge angles (between 6-12 DPS depending on steel) as lower volume is generally better suited to this.

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 10.37.35 AM.png
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Going by your criteria, SPY27.

It’s a pleasant steel to sharpen, the edge coming up nicely on ceramic, and takes a lovely edge.

It’s been likened to a particle metallurgy version of VG10, so there’s nothing to dislike there.

A Sharpmaker would be perfectly adequate for keeping SPY27 in good nick.
z1r

Post by z1r »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:29 am
The SPY27 would be my pick.

Having several S30V knives I find the SPY27 a better steel to sharpen.
Of the two, I also find that Spy27 is easier for me to sharpen. Is there really much a difference? Beyond the relative ease of sharpening, none I can detect. I'm not getting rid of any of my S30V knives,
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Deja vu. Very odd :face monocle
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:50 am
Crazy how close the two threads are...
Synov

Post by Synov »

SPY27 is slightly tougher and S30V has slightly more edge retention. Neither should be difficult to sharpen but SPY27 will be easier. However, if you are going to get a Native 5 in SPY27, why not get a Native 5 Salt in Magnacut instead? Just as easy to sharpen but much tougher.
Visualizing the Tradeoff of Higher Hardness
S90V: Manix XL CF Yojumbo CF Shaman CF Native 5 Fluted CF CPM-154/S90V: Manix 2 Magnacut: Native 5 Fluted Ti Damasteel: Native 5 40th Anniversary ZDP-189: Dragonfly 2 Nishijin N690Co: PITS XHP: Chaparral Birdseye Maple
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Here's what I said in the other thread.

"They're both great IMO. Flip a coin. You might find SPY27 a little easier to sharpen but S30V is pretty easy to touch up on the Sharpmaker once you get the hang of it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

Amazing that I still feel the same way a couple weeks later haha
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Skydog

Post by Skydog »

bobnikon wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:06 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:50 am
Crazy how close the two threads are...
I agree...and I'm the guy who started the other thread...very weird how close they are.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Synov wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:19 pm
SPY27 is slightly tougher and S30V has slightly more edge retention. Neither should be difficult to sharpen but SPY27 will be easier. However, if you are going to get a Native 5 in SPY27, why not get a Native 5 Salt in Magnacut instead? Just as easy to sharpen but much tougher.
Wrong answer, get both N5's.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Welcome to the forum! Spy27 is probably easier to sharpen so you might choose that unless price is a big factor. But don't sweat it, you might not even notice a difference and both steels are good to go. Black coated blade is 99% just a matter of personal preference IMO- it can scratch, but then again, so can your satin blade. You can use some products to make the DLC coating look a little better if it does get scratched up so it's nothing to worry about. Based on my personal preferences I'd get the black blade s30v. I like the look, I think the DLC coatings on American made Spydercos are high quality, and I would rather carry with the black scales and black pocket clip than the satin clip and blue handle that comes with Spy27.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like both steels. I think s30V is a great steel. SPY27 is a great steel, too. I think it would be easier to sharpen and, from a purely aesthetic view, the color of the scales is nicer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050