Delica 4 in 2024?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rangefinder

Re: Delica 4 in 2024?

Post by rangefinder »

kriezek wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:41 pm
rangefinder wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:34 pm
Quick phone pic scaled down in size to make it forum friendly:

delicas.jpg
Your clips are on the wrong end. :shush

Nope. That's how they came from the factory.

EDIT: I may be wrong about that... It's been so long (2012) since I got the last Delica, I could be confusing the Delicas with the PM2s that I've gotten more recently (which definitely did come configured tip-down from the factory). Regardless, there is no "wrong" configuration for tip-up vs. tip-down carry. It's just a personal preference.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:27 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:00 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:30 am
May I ask (honest question!): What is it that actually "shocks" you?!

It is not as comfortable as choking up on a dedicated choil, but perfectly safe, even if part of the finger touches the actual edge and even in the hardest tasks (I do speak from a LOT of experience concerning that).

Actually one can choke up completely on a sharp edge and do cutting tasks - as long as the grip is firm and no back and forth movement occurs, nothing bad will happen (though this is definitely not really comfortable anymore).
It doesn’t completely sound safe to me, my finger diggin in to the blade edge and even in the hardest of tasks! To each their own but I certainly find that a bit of a strange technique. But if it works for you all power to you
First and foremost: I appreciate that you can just let stand that for me this is an ok technique, despite it is not for you! :clinking-mugs
I know it does not sound safe necessarily when one reads how I describe it... ;) - it most likely would not sound like that for me too!
I just can say: I do this all the time, also in really hard cutting, and for me there has never been any safety concern or problem.

When the index finger is on the ricasso, practically the whole pressure occurs just there, even if another part of the finger might slightly/lightly touch the edge.

Also, it has always been a mystery to me why people are afraid of just touching the edge, like it would be a hot laser beam. An edge actually CUTS when there is a drawing motion.
Again; I do even choke up on at least hair shaving sharp actual edges occasionally, this is not comfortable, but as long as the knife is held in a firm grip nothing bad will happen.
One could even grab a knife with the finger wrapped around the blade and hammer on a nail with the handle as long as the grip is firm (completely nonsensical of course, but it would work without harm).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

rangefinder wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:52 pm
kriezek wrote:
rangefinder wrote:
Quick phone pic scaled down in size to make it forum friendly:

delicas.jpg
Your clips are on the wrong end. :shush

Nope. That's how they came from the factory.

EDIT: I may be wrong about that... It's been so long (2012) since I got the last Delica, I could be confusing the Delicas with the PM2s that I've gotten more recently (which definitely did come configured tip-down from the factory). Regardless, there is no "wrong" configuration for tip-up vs. tip-down carry. It's just a personal preference.
I was just kidding of course. Spyderco normally sends out smaller knives like Delicas tip-up and knives like PM2 tip down. The great thing about their knives is that they have the availability to move the clips around to wherever WE want them.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kriezek wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:03 pm
rangefinder wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:52 pm
kriezek wrote:
rangefinder wrote:
I was just kidding of course. Spyderco normally sends out smaller knives like Delicas tip-up and knives like PM2 tip down. The great thing about their knives is that they have the availability to move the clips around to wherever WE want them.
I think this is more of a "Millie family" thing, right?
PM 2 and Millie come tip down, and this might indeed also have to do with their size and that tip down for some might be more convenient there

Still most other larger Spydies come tip up as far as I know... Endura, Chief, Goddard, Stretch XL, (not the Resilience though)...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Skywalker wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:51 pm
...My perception was that the Caly handle was just a little narrower, especially with the shallow radius choil right behind the edge, and it just didn't lock in as well as a Delica does to me....

It is curious that we'd have "mirror image" fitment issues; sounds like a Delica fits you like a Caly fits me. I wonder if it has to do with finger size. Is it possible the Delica, with its larger radius, is more comfortable for those with larger fingers? My index finger, where it naturally contacts a knife handle or choil, is around .9" in diameter, just touching the calipers back and front. And .8 is a little tighter but I can still fit my finger in the jaws of the calipers. What's yours?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:32 pm
We need more photos.
Here you go … don’t know how to make the photo show up larger - but if you click on the photo I think it gets you there,

CG
Attachments
1211C418-AC34-4D1F-883D-6FC32D00B037.jpeg
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:32 am
Skywalker wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:51 pm
...My perception was that the Caly handle was just a little narrower, especially with the shallow radius choil right behind the edge, and it just didn't lock in as well as a Delica does to me....

It is curious that we'd have "mirror image" fitment issues; sounds like a Delica fits you like a Caly fits me. I wonder if it has to do with finger size. Is it possible the Delica, with its larger radius, is more comfortable for those with larger fingers? My index finger, where it naturally contacts a knife handle or choil, is around .9" in diameter, just touching the calipers back and front. And .8 is a little tighter but I can still fit my finger in the jaws of the calipers. What's yours?
I usually have the first joint of my index finger almost directly under the handle with the Delica, and it's .75" across straightened and .85" across as bent when holding the knife. I end up with the perfect amount of space for my index and middle fingers in the first Delica handle scallop (pic below).

Weirdly, I just checked several Spydercos with finger choils (Native5 LW, Stretch 2, Military, Sage 5), and on all of them my index finger is not so deep in the choil. Instead of the almost the first joint, it's much more definitely on the flat between the two finger joints (my rudimentary anatomical googling suggests "middle/medial/intermediate phalange" as the technical term). Hadn't picked up on that before this discussion.

And for what it's worth, in addition to the MNOSD, I am an avowed member of the "don't add a choil to the Delica/Endura" club.

MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Skywalker wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:50 am

I usually have the first joint of my index finger almost directly under the handle with the Delica...

Interesting, Sky. Thanks for checking.

Your observations about where the phalanges fall, got me to checking my grip on a Sage and a Manix. Sure enough, phalanges orientation changes quite a bit whether using the handle (back grip) or a blade choil (forward grip). Never noticed this before. When using a blade choil, my index finger contacts the choil in the bend between the middle and distal phalanges. When gripping back, contact of index finger is on the middle phalanges near the bend of the proximal phalanges--a fatter portion of the finger.

Now I'm curious if I just tend to hold a Delica in a grip that's too "finger tippy" and not enough "palmy" for comfort...I would characterize your grip in the photo as "palmy"...I need to find a Delica and check this new hypothesis.
Last edited by Bolster on Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Matus

Post by Matus »

p_atrick wrote:
We need more photos.

May I ask where these very nice scales come from?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Bought and sold the Delica 4 times, the thin stock is nice, and tried to like it but those finger grooves cause a massive hotspot for me on my middle finger, same with anything in the Endura family. I guess that's why the Chap is a good alternative for me.
thojan

Post by thojan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:26 am
this one pairs very nicely with the yojumbo. it's a stout little utility blade that gives me a slight belly when that's required. this is the first full vg10 blade that i've owned. because i got it as a sd/backup blade, it's got such a stout grind, and is kinda ugly :rofl, i've used it a little less nicely than i typically do my other knives. i'm definitely enjoying it.
I really like that setup! Where is that signet ring from?
Delica K390, Delica 20CV, PM2 15V, Para 3 S45VN, Native 5 Salt SE LC200N
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Matus wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:34 pm
Casey Lynch. They are awesome. I got these in anticipation of the HP Delica, but they are too nice to just hang out in a box, so I put them on my Janlica. I have a feeling I'll be getting another set. I wrote him to ask if he would consider doing some for the Endura. So far, there is not enough interest for the Endura version. Highly recommend you pick up the Delica version. Get on his newsletter to learn about drops.

https://www.lynchnw.com/spyderco-delica ... scale-kits
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I’m finally getting back to responding to the beginning of this thread. 🤷‍♂️

I could “walk away” with three knives. An Aqua Salt for outdoor stuff, a Pac Salt 2 for work, and a Salt 2/Delica for EDC. My usual grab and go knife in the morning was a native salt for my first couple of Spyderco years, then a Pac Salt for a bit, and then without really meaning to I settled on the Salt 2/Delica. I have a few variations but the Delica 4 handle is in my pocket a lot when I’m not at work. It fits my hand well, is light and unobtrusive, and does 80% if what I would want a knife to do, ever. I’ve gifted them to friends who are not knife folks with vastly different hand sizes and they’ve loved them. I think that’s part of the genius of the design also. It’s a great knife for someone who needs or wants a knife at times but isn’t really into knives. It’s not a one size fits all, of course, but it seems to work well for a broader swath of knife buying folks than maybe any other model. I have no idea if the numbers are publicly available or if they even exist but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Delica was the top seller to one-time Spyderco buyers. Maybe even one of the top sellers to one-time pocketknife buyers in general. I have no idea if thst’s true but based on my little slice of experience that seems plausible.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that the Delica is still the foundation of Spyderco. It certainly seems like that could be true.

All that is a really tired and long-winded ramble to say yep, the Delica is still very relevant in 2024, and I doubt that will change anytime soon. 🙂
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:38 pm
Matus wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:34 pm
Casey Lynch. They are awesome. I got these in anticipation of the HP Delica, but they are too nice to just hang out in a box, so I put them on my Janlica. I have a feeling I'll be getting another set. I wrote him to ask if he would consider doing some for the Endura. So far, there is not enough interest for the Endura version. Highly recommend you pick up the Delica version. Get on his newsletter to learn about drops.

https://www.lynchnw.com/spyderco-delica ... scale-kits
Casey told me a while back that in future the scales may come with ability to go lefty or righty clip positions . I believe tip up only . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

An AUS-8 Delica with integral FRN pocket clip was my first Spyderco that I bought in 1997.

The design has undergone many changes in its present evolution. I still consider the Delica to be one of the best classic knife designs, period, and one of my favorites. I own more Delicas from over the years than any other knife model. And it remains a classic design in 2024.

In more recent years, I haven't been carrying a Delica as often as I probably should. But to quote The Most Interesting Man in the World:

"I don't always carry a Delica; but when I do, it's always a great knife."

Jim
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

p_atrick wrote:
We need more photos.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:31 am
p_atrick wrote:
We need more photos.
Here you go … don’t know how to make the photo show up larger - but if you click on the photo I think it gets you there,

CG
Someone that has a bigger Delica collection than I do. LOL

Delicas make up almost 20% of my knife collection which is almost 100 knives. I have used them to clean deer, cut apples, open and break down boxes, cut rope, remove threads, slice and dice numerous items, generally put them through their paces, and was my EDC for about 20 years. It is still one of my top 5 knives and the number one choice when gifting knives to others.

While it has gone through generational changes, any knife that continues to sell after 30 years and is desired in additional steels is a CLASSIC. Hat tip :cowboy to its designer and the company that continues to sell such a quality product.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
vivi

Post by vivi »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:21 pm
I’m finally getting back to responding to the beginning of this thread. 🤷‍♂️

I could “walk away” with three knives. An Aqua Salt for outdoor stuff, a Pac Salt 2 for work, and a Salt 2/Delica for EDC. My usual grab and go knife in the morning was a native salt for my first couple of Spyderco years, then a Pac Salt for a bit, and then without really meaning to I settled on the Salt 2/Delica. I have a few variations but the Delica 4 handle is in my pocket a lot when I’m not at work. It fits my hand well, is light and unobtrusive, and does 80% if what I would want a knife to do, ever. I’ve gifted them to friends who are not knife folks with vastly different hand sizes and they’ve loved them. I think that’s part of the genius of the design also. It’s a great knife for someone who needs or wants a knife at times but isn’t really into knives. It’s not a one size fits all, of course, but it seems to work well for a broader swath of knife buying folks than maybe any other model. I have no idea if the numbers are publicly available or if they even exist but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Delica was the top seller to one-time Spyderco buyers. Maybe even one of the top sellers to one-time pocketknife buyers in general. I have no idea if thst’s true but based on my little slice of experience that seems plausible.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that the Delica is still the foundation of Spyderco. It certainly seems like that could be true.

All that is a really tired and long-winded ramble to say yep, the Delica is still very relevant in 2024, and I doubt that will change anytime soon. 🙂
At one point I had my Spyderco collection down to 5 knives or so.

Police 3 - general purpose edc
Pacific Salt 1 - Salty edc
Aqua Salt - Outdoors fixed blade
Tasman Salt SE - Beater / sentimental
Spin - Desk knife for letters & packages / sentimental

I could make do with a Pacific Salt & Aqua Salt.
:unicorn
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:03 am
I agree vivi. I find the choil is great for choking up in a hammer grip when doing harder cutting, I almost never place my thumb on top of the blade if I’m whittling or cutting with a lot of force. But I personally wouldn’t want my slim edc pocket knife as first choice for wood carver, I could do it, but there’s knives that are better made for that task. And the choil is also great for orienting your grip so the butt of the handle actually sits more in the middle of your palm. This angles the tip of the blade further down and allows your indexfinger to slide further up and positioned underneath your thumb for a pinch grip style, which gives you really tight control and works really well for finer and more precise cuts - which I find a small edc folder sees the most amount of work with
Discussing ergos is fun. It would be cool to see sal would make an Edge-u-cation video on the thought process behind his most refined designs like the Calys to inform users on the benefits of its design features.
I do the same thing you do with the choil and placing the butt of the handle in my palm using the pinch grip cutting either way and it’s very effective…Edge-u-cation - Ha!!! Good one 👊
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:33 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:03 am
I agree vivi. I find the choil is great for choking up in a hammer grip when doing harder cutting, I almost never place my thumb on top of the blade if I’m whittling or cutting with a lot of force. But I personally wouldn’t want my slim edc pocket knife as first choice for wood carver, I could do it, but there’s knives that are better made for that task. And the choil is also great for orienting your grip so the butt of the handle actually sits more in the middle of your palm. This angles the tip of the blade further down and allows your indexfinger to slide further up and positioned underneath your thumb for a pinch grip style, which gives you really tight control and works really well for finer and more precise cuts - which I find a small edc folder sees the most amount of work with
Discussing ergos is fun. It would be cool to see sal would make an Edge-u-cation video on the thought process behind his most refined designs like the Calys to inform users on the benefits of its design features.
I do the same thing you do with the choil and placing the butt of the handle in my palm using the pinch grip cutting either way and it’s very effective…Edge-u-cation - Ha!!! Good one 👊
That’s the term spyderco made I believe for their info letters in each of their products boxes, I think it would be really interesting if they extended that deeper by perhaps making videos talking about their famous designs and going into the design roots, explaining the intentions behind its design features. Which they somewhat do in their info packets and descriptions on their website. I like spyderco’s description of the Caly. “designed to be a natural extent of the hand” because thats surely what it does
:bug-red-white