What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
prndltech

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by prndltech »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:02 pm
Is there a Recon .5 ? 🤣

There’s a 2” , 3” , 4” and 5.5” blade recon :nerd
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Before I sold my soul to Spyderco, I had one of the 2” “Micro Recons” and kept it on a keychain. Cool knife but my tastes have changed since then. Now that I think of it, I don’t even remember where it is. I might not even own it anymore. :thinking

Also have a 3” “Mini Recon” that I used as a beater knife. It wasn’t much of a slicer, it was brute, but it got the job done when I needed it. I really should just move it on but there’s something sentimental about it that I’m suddenly trying to convince myself not to feel. Cash > Cold Steel :rofl
-Nick :bug-red
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:56 pm
Before I sold my soul to Spyderco, I had one of the 2” “Micro Recons” and kept it on a keychain. Cool knife but my tastes have changed since then. Now that I think of it, I don’t even remember where it is. I might not even own it anymore. :thinking

Also have a 3” “Mini Recon” that I used as a beater knife. It wasn’t much of a slicer, it was brute, but it got the job done when I needed it. I really should just move it on but there’s something sentimental about it that I’m suddenly trying to convince myself not to feel. Cash > Cold Steel :rofl
There should be room for a few Cold Steels in any Spyderco fan's collection/ pile. I personally keep a Finn Wolf and a Tuff Lite in the house, they are awesome and great value knives made in Taiwan to a high standard. Mine are from 5 or more years ago.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:42 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:02 pm
Is there a Recon .5 ? 🤣

There’s a 2” , 3” , 4” and 5.5” blade recon :nerd
Thanks Shannon I’m gonna have a look 👀
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

My latest vintage purchase is this 2005 Schatt and Morgan Mountain Man.

PXL_20240113_161741645sm.jpg

This is from the penultimate year of the Bill Howard era at Queen-- before he ventured off to start Great Eastern Cutlery. The quality is excellent. The spring is very strong and snappy. Lockup is solid with no easily-detected wiggle, The brown smooth bone is great, the photos seem to exaggerate the bolster and shield gaps a little. It also looks darker IRL.

The blade stock is in the neighborhood of 3mm, and it has a good distal taper. I've read that the steel is ATS34. The edge is not apexed, and i have not yet sharpened it.

PXL_20240113_162233095sm.jpg
This is my first larger traditional lockback knife. It is awesome. As you can see it is about the size of the Shaman. It is also about the same weight, nearly 5 ounces.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Welp, today your ole boy is sportin the Chaves 229 Redencion Lee Williams Kickstop!
At the Toyota Dealership no less, gettin the ole lady's Highlander serviced!
Glad I'm in Tennessee- I could probably pull out one of those Busse's and nobody would blink an eye 😆 🤣 😂
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

:respect
Enactive wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:31 am
Mushroom wrote:

There should be room for a few Cold Steels in any Spyderco fan's collection/ pile. I personally keep a Finn Wolf and a Tuff Lite in the house, they are awesome and great value knives made in Taiwan to a high standard. Mine are from 5 or more years ago.
Not my collection! :winking-tongue I don’t feel bad about dismissing Cold Steel. Especially now that they’re owned by China.

Aside from that though, I’m very much a Spyderco fanboy. Its not that I have anything against Cold Steels knives, it’s just that the thought of spending money on any brand other than Spyderco makes me cringe. :grin-squint I’m not a knife enthusiast, I’m a Spyderco enthusiast.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:40 pm
Enactive wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Not my collection! :winking-tongue I don’t feel bad about dismissing Cold Steel. Especially now that they’re owned by China.

Aside from that though, I’m very much a Spyderco fanboy. Its not that I have anything against Cold Steels knives, it’s just that the thought of spending money on any brand other than Spyderco makes me cringe. :grin-squint I’m not a knife enthusiast, I’m a Spyderco enthusiast.
That's cool. You do you. I wasn't trying to tell you how to do your collection. :cheap-sunglasses

I will say it sounds ignorant to say that Cold Steel is "owned by China." No sleight meant to you, but China is not one entinty at all. Perhaps you meant to say they are made in China or maybe that they are owned by a Chinese corporation? As i understand it, some Cold Steel products that were made in Taiwan are now made in China.

The truth is, it is just as "American" of a company as it ever was.

GSM outdoors (of Irving, TX) is the current parent company of Cold Steel, and is owned by Gridiron Capital (based in New Canaan, CT).

edited punctuation.
vivi

Post by vivi »

No shame in buying from other companies for roles Spyderco doesn't try to fill.

Cold Steel makes solid machetes and mega folders, two areas Spyderco doesn't pursue. They also have a good budget kitchen line, with more options than Spydercos z cuts, counter puppies etc

Fiskars makes a solid budget hatchet, and Mora makes great budget scandis. Two more areas Spyderco doesn't try to compete it.

I love Spyderco but until they try to compete in these specific areas, other companies get my business. Same reason I buy Leatherman tools - Spyderco doesn't offer anything like the Rebar or Squirt.
:unicorn
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Drizzly Saturday here in California.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:16 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:40 pm
Enactive wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
That's cool. You do you. I wasn't trying to tell you how to do your collection. :cheap-sunglasses

I will say it sounds ignorant to say that Cold Steel is "owned by China." No sleight meant to you, but China is not one entinty at all. Perhaps you meant to say they are made in China or maybe that they are owned by a Chinese corporation? As i understand it, some Cold Steel products that were made in Taiwan are now made in China.

The truth is, it is just as "American" of a company as it ever was.

GSM outdoors (of Irving, TX) is the current parent company of Cold Steel, and is owned by Gridiron Capital (based in New Canaan, CT).

edited punctuation.
You’re right, it probably is ignorance, but ignorance is bliss and buying Spyderco is all I need to know. :winking-tongue

Owned by China, made in China, owned by Chinese corporation… whatever! They sold out was really my main point and out of ignorance I just assumed GSM Outdoors was a big conglomerate buying out as many brands as possible and then outsourcing the majority of them to Chinese manufacturing.

Like I said though, it’s not really anything against Cold Steel knives in particular, it’s the fact that they’re not Spyderco. Any knife brand other than Spyderco and I won’t buy their knives either. I will admit that I do like Morakniv and Esee Knives a lot but even those don’t get my money anymore.

I like supporting Spyderco because they’re still a small business. Also because the brand was created out of passion and that same passion is still shared with us here on a daily basis. Also, the integrity that Spyderco upholds is nothing short of inspiring!

———

Even after saying all of that, the last Non-Spyderco knife I bought was a Chinese made mid-tech from Darriel Caston. 🤷‍♂️ Bought it maybe a little over a year ago but it was very much an exception and not the norm.

D Rocket Knives MaximX
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Darklight111

Post by Darklight111 »

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:44 am
MBK Monday

Do you have the larger or smaller size Slayback? Any thoughts on which size you'd get if you were buying one now?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:29 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:44 am
MBK Monday

Do you have the larger or smaller size Slayback? Any thoughts on which size you'd get if you were buying one now?
Mine is the smaller size. It just fits my hand comfortably enough. I wear a size Large glove. I think I would go for the larger size if I were to buy again. It wasn't an option at the time of buying this one though.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
abbazaba