Delica 4 in 2024?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Delica 4 in 2024?

Post by Deadboxhero »

Fun fact, if you clean your VG-10 Delica 4 blade and angle it in the light just right. You can see the chromium carbide banding flowing parallel with the blade.

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Cool.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Since it’s all but inevitable…
IMG_4341.jpeg
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
thojan

Post by thojan »

So when is the 15V Delica coming?
Delica K390, Delica 20CV, PM2 15V, Para 3 S45VN, Native 5 Salt SE LC200N
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:51 pm
In a world, obsessed with every attribute to a folding knife except strangely enough what actually contributes to making a great performing folding knife that we actually carry and use for cutting. The Delica 4 "Full Flat Grind" (ffg) is quite refreshing, especially to newcomers who have not experienced this humble, timeless classic.

[...]

I find the Delica 4 ffg has some of the most important attributes in a folder that a lot of us find ourselves ACTUALLY carrying every day rather than saying that we do but leaving it in the car, dresser etc

I like to think it's thanks to its small, thin profile and lightweight, it can accommodate almost any wardrobe and disappear until you need it, yet it's substantial enough for most light cutting tasks that we find in everyday environments.

[...]

I remember five years ago I talked to Michael Christy and he brought up the notion of a "walk away knife"

Basically, he said if he decided to walk away from being a knife enthusiast and just go back to being a regular, less knife obsessed guy the Spyderco Delica 4 full flat grind would be his "walk away knife"

I completely agree and that's especially more true now that it's been available in K390.
The Delica 4 in K390 is a mainstay in my work knife rotation, and it is the knife I take with me to work when I am expecting an especially busy day at the warehouse—it stays out of the way until I need it and is small enough that it can share space in my pocket with multiple folded-up truck manifests and email printouts, but it packs a lot of cutting ability and has great in-hand ergonomics despite its slim dimensions.

The FFG VG10 Delica 4 is no slouch either. To be honest, it's all I realistically need in a personal carry cutting tool outside of work.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:43 am
IMG_4341.jpeg
Is that a DIY Crucarta model?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Word Shawn. Delica is an awesome allaround edc for the average user. These two are my fav ones. I like me some teeth
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I own quite a few. I have also recommended it to quite a few people. I will never part with my Super Blue variant.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Coincidentally, I grabbed my ZDP189 version this morning. I agree with everything that has been said. Excellent design, just right for getting stuff done without all the fluff, easy to recommend. Super pocketable, but extremely capable.
They also seem to replicate quickly, at least in my sock drawer.
MNOSD member 0030
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:43 am
IMG_4341.jpeg
Nice stone. I've got one of those I use on some of my chef knives.
:unicorn
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:51 am
Fun fact, if you clean your VG-10 Delica 4 blade and angle it in the light just right. You can see the chromium carbide banding flowing parallel with the blade.

How about that. I've always wondered what that wavy pattern was. At one point I thought it was a defect until I realized all the VG-10 blades have it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:51 am

That´s actually really interesting!

I once read somewhere that this VG10 characteristic/look could be used to distinct real from fake Delicas (the latter not sporting VG10) - seems there is some truth to that - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I've been carrying my Delicas about 99% of the time for the past 3 years or so. Mostly the Wharnie Delicas these days. I agree it is the best all around knife in the industry, and the K390 Delica Wharnie is the one I would choose if I had to only have one knife. I'd really like to see the G10 Delica return, in the Grey/Cruwear of the Stretch XL. And a Cru-carta Delica is my dream, especially in a Wharnie.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:22 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:07 pm
While acknowledging the Delica's superstar status, I agree with TD; for me the "had fit" of the Caly is superb, and allows great control of the heel of the blade (which I use a lot) since I can get an index finger so close. .....
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:54 am
Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:22 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:07 pm
....You can choke up on the delica, but my finger isn’t comfortable there because of the protrusions of the finger guard and top of the ricasso in that tight of a space.....
I do not actually want to really discuss the "choking up on the ricasso" - thing, but just encourage folks who don´t do this:
Try completely unbiased and then make up your mind, some might be surprised and end up liking the Delica even more (this is NOT directed to you TristanDavid and Bolster, you obviously did try and for your own, valid reasons do not like it!!)

- Choking up in the Delica ricasso will never feel as comfortable as in a dedicated choil, this goes without saying!

- But: Imo in many tasks "maximum comfort" is not the most important thing - and when it comes to control some might find the "ricasso grip" very good (others won´t of course): The finger sits pretty "high", which eliminates any risk of having "to little meat" and a bit of a "floating" feel under the index finger - something that can happen in harder tasks with choils or generally handles that are thin / narrow where the index finger sits compared to the back of the handle

- Actually, the "point" of the ricasso does "lock" the finger in, by digging a bit into it - again, not the most comfortable thing, but in many tasks this does not matter to me.

- When it comes to safety: Choking up on the ricasso is perfectly safe in my extended experience. I do this all the time in "hard " tasks, with wet and cold hands... no problem. The hand is locked in anyway by the middle finger behind the guard.

- And: Try this rather not with the thumb on the ramp - but more forward on the spine of the blade or put on the flat of the blade.

- As said: The advantages of the Delica ricasso design compared to a "choil" design in the same small size:
1.) The grip area on the actual FRN handle behind choil or ricasso is longer
2.) The hand sits closer to the edge in the first place when not choking up
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

the main use I have for the choil area is choking up, wrapping my thumb around the handle, and getting better leverage when carving wood.

I've tried your method and it's fine for lighter use stuff, but I did not care for it for that specific task.

But I do agree with you that folks should try it before writing it off. It's definitely good enough for slicing a strip of cardboard, trimming threads, stuff like thst.
:unicorn
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

So, uh, 15v delica while we wait for your collab to come out?

Spyderco should come out with the "knife nerds set" - like 3-4 different models in specific steels that are optimized for the design and grind.

The delica is a legend, and this is coming from someone who started with a Calypso Jr. The delica has a bit more "mainstream" appeal. When it and the Benchmade Griptilian were competing in the same price range, they were sort of the yin and yang of the budget knife scene. One was a sleek compact high performance knife, the other was tougher, more hand filling "hard use" tool
Last edited by GarageBoy on Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyanY

Post by RyanY »

Super Blue in pocket today. Love me some delica!
IMG_4901.jpeg
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I agree vivi. I find the choil is great for choking up in a hammer grip when doing harder cutting, I almost never place my thumb on top of the blade if I’m whittling or cutting with a lot of force. But I personally wouldn’t want my slim edc pocket knife as first choice for wood carver, I could do it, but there’s knives that are better made for that task. And the choil is also great for orienting your grip so the butt of the handle actually sits more in the middle of your palm. This angles the tip of the blade further down and allows your indexfinger to slide further up and positioned underneath your thumb for a pinch grip style, which gives you really tight control and works really well for finer and more precise cuts - which I find a small edc folder sees the most amount of work with
Discussing ergos is fun. It would be cool to see sal would make an Edge-u-cation video on the thought process behind his most refined designs like the Calys to inform users on the benefits of its design features.
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I prefer the cutting ergos of the delica when the pocket clip is removed. So I'd never be able to put it into my walk away knife category. For myself I'd likely choose the leaf jumper instead. Just checks all the boxes for me in terms of carry, overall functionality, ergonomics, blade shape/k390 heat treat etc.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this one pairs very nicely with the yojumbo. it's a stout little utility blade that gives me a slight belly when that's required. this is the first full vg10 blade that i've owned. because i got it as a sd/backup blade, it's got such a stout grind, and is kinda ugly :rofl, i've used it a little less nicely than i typically do my other knives. i'm definitely enjoying it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C