The Delica Wharncliffe is the greatest work knife ever made.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: The Delica Wharncliffe is the greatest work knife ever made.

Post by cabfrank »

I just have to. I can't help it.
https://youtu.be/G89chAA4l8s?feature=shared
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

If you wait for the chorus, and laugh like I did, it will all be worth it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:03 pm
kobold wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:57 am
olywa wrote: I've got XL size hands but have no problem with these designs for light use, which is where I think they excel.
this was the key for me to actually appreciate the delica. it's not a heavy duty knife. you can bear down on it a bit and it'll withstand it, but it's a smaller knife with a relatively thin grind that just cuts so nicely. use it as a thin pocket knife and you'll love it. expect it to do bushcraft tasks and you'll probably hate it.

Don´t know about this, guys..

The following is in case I choose a small folder for "harder" tasks in the first place (so not generally, but specifically in the small folder arena and comparisons there!):

I could compare a Native 5 directly to a Delica (and the pretty similar Salt 2) in "harder" bushcraft tasks, and without any doubt the Delica works better for me and is more comfortable.
Why?

- The Delica/Salt handle feels a lot more "rounded" and organic, while the Native is "blocky" and has sharp handle corners - not an issue at all in light use (the Native handle), but exactly in "harder" use it is imo.
So: No hot spots on the Delica handle for my not small hands (keep in mind though: I don´t put the thumb on the ramp normally) but sure on the Native 5, plus the Delica feels more stable in hand (less tendency to "shift" or "roll" when "bearing down" on it)

- Also, the Delica just cuts a bit better, so sometimes a bit less force is needed (and so a bit less "bearing down" on it in the first place), while the blade is still plenty strong, and the tip a bit reinforced tue to the "drop" (or, for brutal hard use, go sabre grind Delica or sabre hollow Salt 2)

- Then, for even a bit LESS weight than the linerless Native 5 (or linerless Para 3) one can get the really sturdy LINERED Delica - or, alternatively, the really light Salt 2 (with also an a bit thicker, more handfilling handle than the Delica)

Just my 2c, but coming from my own, real life experience. Ym may (and obviously does ;) vary of course.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Curse you enablers :rofl

I had been leaving my Delica on my desk to get a better feel for it and it kind of grew on me (a little). A Delica Wharncliffe K390 has been added to my queue. The Delica is my first model where I will have more than one, the other being a black superblue zome. I didn't think it would be the one to do it, but it is what it is.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

On the discontinued Delica K390 Plain Edge Wharncliffe Blue FRN, many dealers are either out of stock or are selling it at full MAP of $123.20.

KnifeWorks has it in stock for $91.95.

https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-delica- ... 11fpwk390/
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

I ended up getting it at National because, once you add shipping to KnifeWorks, that price is a little higher.

It's still in stock at National for $94.50
https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... lade-blue/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:28 am
I ended up getting it at National because, once you add shipping to KnifeWorks, that price is a little higher.

You guys in the US... ',:-| ;)

... The cheapest I could find it here in Europe in a quick search is 150 Euros (165 USD) (to be clear: The K390 wharnie)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:12 am
TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:28 am

You guys in the US... ',:-| ;)

... The cheapest I could find it here in Europe in a quick search is 150 Euros (165 USD) (to be clear: The K390 wharnie)
shipping my 4v manix LW to germany is just under $20. is there anything for you that makes it impractical having someone in the US buy one and ship it to you?
:unicorn
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Or, depending on where you are in Europe, there may be a forwarding company you can use with a US address.
Hardesty86

Post by Hardesty86 »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:14 am
Hardesty86 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:45 am
I never understood the spyderco addiction everyone had.....until now lol went to smokey mountain knife works in pigeon forge tenn and hit up the spyderco counter bought a delica warncliff in vg10 steel and i cought the spyderco bug lol! Just joined looking forward to accruing more spyderco knives probably gonna hit up the knife works on way outta town and get a salt in H1 steel just for the heck of it!
Welcome…SMKW is something to behold isn’t it? Great choice on the delica wharnie, it’s absolutely one of my favorites…now go grab that Salt version 👊
[/quot
i did grab a salt in H1 dragonfly and a regular blade shaped delica vg10 at the same time there kinda addictive lol
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The salts are still minty fresh, the K390 not. It is a nice user with "dehorned" scales and no clip, and I have two K390 backups tucked away for a rainy day.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Just got a k390 Wharncliffe Endura, some 2 tone teal/bronze anodized titanium scales, and a 'service bronze' lynch stuby clip. Gonna put it all together when I'm done reprofiling to 10DPS and polishing the bevel to a mirror finish. Which, takes a while. But man does it cut. Then I can do touch ups with the Galley V.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think it is the best. I’m still beating on my first one with VG-10. Never fails me. Doesn’t matter the grip. It just works.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:11 pm
I think it is the best. I’m still beating on my first one with VG-10. Never fails me. Doesn’t matter the grip. It just works.
I waited for the first sprint before I tried it. But I never went back to the regular leaf blade Delica.

Thanks for pushing Sal and Spyderco to make the Wharncliffe Delica, or as it sometimes referred to as, the Jazzlica. The Wharncliffe Endura is pretty darn nice too.

I hope they still do Sprint runs in cool steels. Just because I have 5 doesn't mean I couldn't use another :rofl
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal