What Spyderco Knife Has Surprised You the Most and Why

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kriezek

What Spyderco Knife Has Surprised You the Most and Why

Post by kriezek »

As some may know, I am a long time Spyderco knife user of over 30 years. I have tried a few different knives over the years, but the 2 that stuck in my pocket were the Delica and Stretch. About a year ago, I began a search (that continues) for something different.

I have tried old knives again and different knives anew. I have even bought some non-Spydies for the 1st time in decades. And with only one exception, none of them felt right. So I obtained a variety of Spyderco knives to try and some I will end up selling while others will stay in the stable.

The PM2 is enjoyable, feels good, and is fun to customize. It is a great knife, but it didn't shock me or surprise me. It just said, Hello, I'm awesome, how would you like to make me better? Looking forward to the PM2 Salt when it releases.

The verdict is still out on the Manix 2 for me (working on spring issues). I really want to like it cuz it feels good in the hand, but I'm not sure yet. But there isn't a big gotcha surprise there either.

The Native 5 was a knife I wanted to surprise me with it beefy size in a small package. Hey, maybe something that could be strong big brother to the Delica. But contrary to everyone's accolades, it did not strike a cord within me. I will probably keep my Scurvy Dog Native 5 Salt, but won't be adding others anytime soon.

Needing a gardening knife, I grabbed a couple of Tasman Salts - one PE and one SE. The surprise for me was that the SE worked so much better in the garden than the PE. Many thanks to the folks in this forum who suggested the SE. If I weren't so stubborn (who me?), I would have started with the SE. LOL

Grabbing a couple of Mule Team knives in different steels have helped me see what a great size and shape that knife really is. Coming late to the party, I fortunately was able to grab a used Magnacut Mule in good shape for a decent price. And also luckily, the AEB-L version became available again from Spyderco so I grabbed a couple of those as well. One will be used tested outside while the other will see some kitchen action once I've adjusted their edges. But being a great knife from Spyderco isn't really a great surprise though.

Flippers have been a nice surprise and the Sliverax did sneak up on me with how awesome and smooth it is. I thought surely this handle won't work in my hand, but it does. And how can anything be so easy to open and close with one hand so easily? I had thought this knife will be the one does it, but I was wrong.

The Techno 2 was on sale at a great price from Dack's and some folks were talking about it. I had been reading about it over the past few months and thought, naw - not for me. I don't really care for knives with R.I.L. type locks. I don't really care about Ti scales. And even though I like the Delica (the Techno 2 is slightly shorter), the Dragonfly is a little too short for me except as just an emergency knife similar to the Ladybug. And the Techno 2 is barely longer than the Dragonfly. But on a whim, when I read the conversation in the Crazy Good Deals thread, I said to myself - What the heck?

WOW! Only the Sliverax has made me smile like that when I put it in my hand. But the Techno 2 is a real knife that works. It feels great and it is a BEAST in a small form factor. I am amazed and surprised. The knife has heft and just feels good. I happened to need to open some boxes and break them down and it worked great. I still have to get used to the R.I.L. closing, but it is already getting easier for me. And Ti handles don't feel slick, they add to the heft and somehow feel right. The other big surprise was how quickly I received my knife from Dack. It came in less than a week.

So while I may continue to look at a different knife here or there, this little Techno 2 knife is a great surprise that is going in my pocket. Fortunately, I carry 2 knives, so there is always room for another.

Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Bill1170

Re: What Spyderco Knife Has Surprised You the Most and Why

Post by Bill1170 »

For me it was the Endela. It’s everything I love about the Delica lightweight in a slightly bigger package. The ergonomics are great and the FFG SE blade came with the best Spyderedge I’ve ever owned. VG-10 works great in thin SE.

In fact, the Endela hits the sweet spot I saw in the original Mantra model, but never pulled the trigger on. It’s a slightly bigger Delica. This is better than it sounds!
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Probably the Vrango. It's been everything I hoped the Techno platform was gonna be, back when it was announced. Fairly beefy handle, with a nice slicy grind.

I only bought it because it was NIB and really cheap. I expected it to go largely untouched in my collection, but it's been in my pocket most days since I bought it ~3 months ago.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I grew up in an era where 3.5-3.75 was the norm so I guess I'm kind of a large blade guy by today's standards so it's kinda surprising that the knife that surprises me the most is the serrated LC200N UKPK Salt 2. Surf perch are kind of on the small side so I just whip the UKPK out and run the blade through both sets of gills in one swipe, shake the blood & sand off, close without bothering with a lock and back in the pocket it goes. Quick & easy with no fuss, no muss. Maybe 4 seconds. Anything that makes life a little easier is a joy.

Honorable mention goes to the Byrd Harrier 2 serrated Wharnie. A whole lotta knife for the money.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

I've only recently owned any Spyderco knives - the first was the CruWear/Purple Para 3 they had on sale during Black Friday, followed by a pair of Manix 2 Lightweights (the Rex 45/White model and the MagnaCut/Yellow Salt). Both of them were pretty much exactly what I expected, other than maybe the spring on the Manix 2 being a little stiffer than I would have initially thought (since my closest reference would be crossbar locks which are pretty light by comparison).

The most recent one I received only a few days ago is the Native 5 LW Salt, and I think this is the only one that I find myself a little surprised by. I thought it was going to feel a bit too small compared to the Manix 2, however in practice I think it has come across the other way around when I have them both side by side - the Native is the one that feels the most natural in this style, while the Manix 2 feels about as large as I would care for as an EDC kind of folder. I'm pretty certain now that I would not care for the Native Chief as anything larger I would probably have a more specific use case for and would just want it in a fixed blade design. On a side note - if I could ask for anything specific that I don't see in the current Spyderco product catalog, it would be a fixed blade that basically looks like either of these knives (or a hybrid of the two maybe). I'd love a fixed blade with these lovely leaf shape blades.

More importantly, what really has surprised me is how much I like the lockback design. The main reason I have not really fallen in love with my Para 3, I think, is the compression lock. While I understand that people seem to like the "fidget-friendly" design of it while still being a reliable lockup system, personally I don't care for the design when going to close the knife. It feels like you have to make a fairly large hand movement to change grip position when going to close the knife, and when your fingers are out of the way, it feels like you have a somewhat uncertain grip on the knife as you are closing it. I can only imagine that for lefties using right-handed compression locks, this is even more true. It was so much so that I found myself not closing the knife that way anymore when I did carry it, instead closing the compression lock with my thumb and allowing the blade to fall so the finger choil hits my index finger like a bumper, then turning the knife and closing it.

Enter the Native 5, which turns out wants to be closed this way anyway, but with a much preferable blade shape and ergos. I also just trust the lockback a bit more as a design, and it keeps the look of the knife much cleaner in my opinion. The forward finger choil feels easier to use as well - it almost feels reminiscent of my Guardian 3.2 in the way that the knife is extremely natural feeling when held up that close to the blade, where I think it feels a bit cramped on the Para 3 due to the high slope of the thumb ramp. Personally I also love the clip design on the Native 5, and I'm surprised they don't use this style of clip to help solve the Para 3's issue of the lanyard tube fighting for so much space with the pocket clip.

I expected the Native 5 to be a nice occasional companion blade to the Manix 2, but I think it is just going to wind up being my favorite Spyderco design. Really a lovely knife; I'm almost glad my Manix 2 LW Salt ran into issues and got sent back for warranty evaluation, because otherwise I might not have ordered it to begin with.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

All the Natives and the Shaman.

Didn’t think I’d like them, just to look at.

Every one of them.

They have all surprised me by how much I do like them.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pacific Salt.

When I got my first pinned one I considered it a niche use beater.

Over the years it grew on me a lot, and I surprised myself by starting to prefer it to more premium feeling lined G10 flagship models for general use.

It surprised me a second time when I went down the low grit edge rabbit hole. I had always liked H1 but was never impressed by the PE edge holding. H1 really impressed me with how much better it holds an edge with a 200-400 grit edge.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Shaman. Was a turning point in my collection and use of knives. Up until then I had been a minimalist, carry the smallest knife reasonable for the job.

I did not anticipate liking the Shaman, I happened to get one in trade and figured I'd trade it or gift it to someone else. I loved that knife. It was everything my usual EDC's weren't. Felt hefty and just solid and right in the hand.

The Shaman inspired me to try a Police, and it was all downhill from there. I became a knife maximalist. Carry the largest knife reasonable for the job.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this is a tough one to answer...

the pac salt surprised me in that i didn't expect any knife to completely change the way i carry knives or change my preferences the the pac salt has.

then the manix quickly became my favorite knife as soon as i got it and started using it.

most spydercos in my collection (listed below) have left me pleasantly surprised. only a few exceptions have been varying degrees of disappointing.

the most recent pleasant surprise is the yojumbo, which i never planned on getting until i recently decided to try some 4" spydies. looking forward to the stretch 2 xl salt and the native chief salt. also hoping for a military 2 salt. 🤞🏼
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The jigged bone kopa. They just have beautiful action and the jigged bone pattern and finish is my favorite type of jigged bone. Really hard to realize just how beautiful of a knife until you get one in hand
:bug-red-white
Windward

Post by Windward »

Manix 2 for me.

I never got along with any knife that you unlocked from that position. Granted they were mostly "axis" style locks, but same applies. Finally got a manix, and pretty much. To my surprise fell in love with it.

Also the pacific salt. More broadly, that it got me into spyderco all together. It was my first, i bought it thinking it would just be another tool, what it led to was a new hobby and bit of an obsession.

Looking forward to the spymyto to hopefully surprise me further. I really dont like most frame /r.i.l. locks ive tried, or flippers. This beong both i dont know why im so excited for it, but hope it surprises me in a good way.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I really love the PITS. I am still surprised I can't find any flaws.

Also, after the FRN and G10 models, the carbon fiber Native 5 is a completely different experience.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Lil Temp LW was a knife I hadn't ever considered. Had read about seki's teething issues with getting the comp lock right and in combo with the price for a vg-10 blade decided it wasn't for me. Picked up a serrated version on sale and it's fantastic. It feels like a sawed-off lightweight Caribbean in hand. Will definitely be looking to get a K390 version in the future.

The UKPK is the other one. Never been into slipjoints and actively held disdain for them since I'm not smart enough to not get bit when I'm in a hurry to get a job done. A case trapper or stockman makes a great letter opener or classy paperweight but that's about it. UKPK changed that for me. With a choil on the blade your fingers are safe from your brain. Quick to deploy and close, so light you can't feel it clipped in your pocket, some of the best ergonomics for a 3" knife, available in a nice array of steels, made in the USA. There's just nothing to not like about it, it's a perfect knife.
thojan

Post by thojan »

The Delica. I don’t particularly care for the looks, but as soon as I held my first Delica in the hand it clicked. The para3 is a bit too short and feels cramped, the pm2 feels too blocky. The Delica is just perfect.

Additionally I prefer Seki FRN over all other handle options. Molded plastic feels better than some blocky G10 or micarta in my opinion.
Delica K390, Delica 20CV, PM2 15V, Para 3 S45VN, Native 5 Salt SE LC200N
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The Shaman and the Gb2 for me. Both are amazing enough to steal more user time from my Manixes then any other model i have.
PStone

Post by PStone »

The Ambitious LW SE.
The build quality was surprising. But the biggest reason is the pattern of the Spyderedge of this one is different than what I have used in the past. I mean it’s still two small/one big scallop pattern, but different somehow. It’s just not as aggressive as say the Delica or Native SE. They’re not as deep and the points came very slightly rounded. What was so surprising is how it could cut like a plain edge, yet be aggressive when I need it to be. I am sorry to see it be disco’d this past fall. In my opinion it is an absolute steal at the disco’d price of $28 most places. Definitely wasn’t expecting to like and carry it so much all last year.
:bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

1.) Delica

Simply because the Delica was my first Spyderco, and before having one in hand back then I thought Spydercos looked a bit "weird" and not completely "like a folder should look".
But as soon as I really owned an used a Delica, I was more than surprised indeed how well it performed, carried and felt in hand and over time found the Spyderco design language even really nice looking and attractive.
This was (is..) even more true for the "big brother" Endura, just because its size suits my likings more

2. 4V Wayne Goddard

I knew just from its specs this would be my kind of folder: FRN, light, perfect for me "regular" size and blade length, not TOO precise tip, tool steel, backlock...
But as soon as I actuall owned, carried and used one, it still blew me away HOW much I like this thing!
Great blade shape, great steel, superthin carry but still very good ergos, roomy handle... it actually can almost even challenge my beloved Endura(-platform)

3.) Chaparral FRN

Raved about this more than enough already ;) - so long story short: The Chap surprised me positively in several ways :
How sturdy and "hard use-y" such a thin knife an especially blade can be, how extremely solidly its built and locks up, and how it actually for me much more fullfills the role of a little "hard use bushcraft - claw" than being a "gents knife".
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benben

Post by benben »

"The Native 5 was a knife I wanted to surprise me with it beefy size in a small package. Hey, maybe something that could be strong big brother to the Delica."

You need to give the Lil' Temperance a try!
benben

Post by benben »

One that didn't surprise me....the serrated K390 LeafJumper, I knew it was going to be fantastic before I ever held or used it!
endura3

Post by endura3 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:42 am
3.) Chaparral FRN

Raved about this more than enough already ;) - so long story short: The Chap surprised me positively in several ways :
How sturdy and "hard use-y" such a thin knife an especially blade can be, how extremely solidly its built and locks up, and how it actually for me much more fullfills the role of a little "hard use bushcraft - claw" than being a "gents knife".
The Chaparral is the knife that surprised me the most as well. I know you've talked in detail about the construction and usability; I similarly bought one intending for it to be a "gentleman's carry" and found it's actually fantastic for extended use. I love knives with thin blade stock, so in that regard my favorite smaller knives are the Chaparral and FFG Delica - that wasn't surprising. But I didn't expect the construction to be as solid as it is with the internal stop pins, and for my hands the chap is actually much more comfortable to use for an extended period than the N5 is. Definitely one of my all around favorite backlock designs, and I'm amped for the SE version as a general-use EDC folder.