Aqua salt still around?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RugerNurse

Aqua salt still around?

Post by RugerNurse »

Is this still in production? Everywhere I look it’s sold out, or did they discontinue it?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
ladybug93

Re: Aqua salt still around?

Post by ladybug93 »

it was discontinued
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The handle molds wore out and sales didn't support the cost of making new ones.
vivi

Post by vivi »

discontinued. I got 3 blacks, two PE satin and a SE satin before they dried up.

I found a black PE for $140 in excellent to new condition. sending you a PM.
:unicorn
Windward

Post by Windward »

Selfishly, i would love to see a sprint in it at somepoint. H2 with g10 handles instead of the frn, so new molds wouldnt have to be made. Ive been on the hunt for a full serrated a while.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It was a stub tang with the FRN molded on. Changing to G-10 would require either redesigning the blade or precision milling the G-10 to fit the existing tang shape. Either way would likely double the production cost.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

These still show in stock at knife hub. That’s where I got mine they’re reputable I’ve used them before they’re a registered dealer.

https://www.knifehub.com/product-page/s ... alt-pln-bk

Get them while you can. Hope this helps.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:51 am
These still show in stock at knife hub. That’s where I got mine they’re reputable I’ve used them before they’re a registered dealer.

https://www.knifehub.com/product-page/s ... alt-pln-bk

Get them while you can. Hope this helps.
Oh nice! I’ve fancied one of these and a Jumpmaster 2 for ages but couldn’t find them anywhere.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:29 am
It was a stub tang with the FRN molded on. Changing to G-10 would require either redesigning the blade or precision milling the G-10 to fit the existing tang shape. Either way would likely double the production cost.
Hi Yab,
I don’t suppose you know how substantial the stub tang was? I’m going to buy one, but I’ll not use it quite as hard as a full tang blade.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Ah maaaan, they only deliver to the USA 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
- Al

Dream knives -
R100

Post by R100 »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:03 am
I feel your pain. I was hoping this was my chance to get the PE but no dice. I have the SE version and it is awesome. Really hanging to find a PE somewhere that will ship to Australia.

Dan
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

R100 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:20 am
JoviAl wrote:
I feel your pain. I was hoping this was my chance to get the PE but no dice. I have the SE version and it is awesome. Really hanging to find a PE somewhere that will ship to Australia.

Dan
If I ever find anywhere with them in stock that’ll ship to this part of the world I’ll let you know 👍🏻 TBH, I’ll settle for a Jumpmaster 2 if I can ever find one.
- Al

Dream knives -
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:01 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Hi Yab,
I don’t suppose you know how substantial the stub tang was? I’m going to buy one, but I’ll not use it quite as hard as a full tang blade.
The tang runs about half the length of the handle, with small crescent notches staggered on both sides. From what Sal said in previous discussions, they've never had a handle come off or break. I wouldn't worry about using it hard, but I wouldn't baton it with a hammer, either.

Edit to add: Someone posted X-ray pix of it here years ago. A Google search might turn that image up.
R100

Post by R100 »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:23 am
R100 wrote:
JoviAl wrote:

Dan
If I ever find anywhere with them in stock that’ll ship to this part of the world I’ll let you know 👍🏻 TBH, I’ll settle for a Jumpmaster 2 if I can ever find one.
I'd really appreciate that. Also very interested in your work and tropical food forest. I'd love to able to see it. I have a particular interest in bamboos and am curator of this group in the institution where I work. Given where you are I'm imagining that you have a variety of bamboo species.

I am also tempted by the Jumpmaster 2 but the SE Aqua Salt is also an amazing cutter. The veritable pocket chainsaw.

Dan
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:34 am
JoviAl wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
Hi Yab,
The tang runs about half the length of the handle, with small crescent notches staggered on both sides. From what Sal said in previous discussions, they've never had a handle come off or break. I wouldn't worry about using it hard, but I wouldn't baton it with a hammer, either.

Edit to add: Someone posted X-ray pix of it here years ago. A Google search might turn that image up.
Thanks Yab, I’m happy to take your word on it 👍🏻 Now if I can just find somewhere that will post a couple over this side of the planet I’ll be winning 🙂
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

R100 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:36 am
JoviAl wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:23 am
R100 wrote:
JoviAl wrote:

Dan
I'd really appreciate that. Also very interested in your work and tropical food forest. I'd love to able to see it. I have a particular interest in bamboos and am curator of this group in the institution where I work. Given where you are I'm imagining that you have a variety of bamboo species.

I am also tempted by the Jumpmaster 2 but the SE Aqua Salt is also an amazing cutter. The veritable pocket chainsaw.

Dan
Ah, a kindred spirit! I love bamboo too - an incredible plant and versatile material. I’ll DM you as I’m happy to share what I’m doing with the food forests and the primary research into syntropic agriculture/permaculture/arboriculture/food security, plus you might be able to answer some niggling questions I have about bamboo cultivation.

When it comes to convincing me about a knife the phrase ‘pocket chainsaw’ is king 😅 goodbye money, hello yet another SE knife.

Al
- Al

Dream knives -
vivi

Post by vivi »

JoviAl wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
Hi Yab,
There's no reason to treat this particular knife with kid gloves.

I broke a ZDP Endura being dumb back around 2008 and Sal replaced it with an Aqua Salt and said "here, try to break this."

I did. I batoned the heck out of it for over a decade. Chopped as much as such a small, light knife could chop. Pulled on the blade laterally with all my might prying apart fatwood stumps over the years.

These are about as tough as any knife I've used. They do not need babied at all.

My first one is still going strong and is in fact my best performing one due to this thin edge bevel I gave it.
vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:44 pm
I always laugh when someone asks if their 2.5" blade pocket knife with XYZ super steel can hold a 15dps edge.

Three Aqua Salts:

1. Seconds reprofiled to 15dps on the sharpmaker.

2. Blacked out reprofiled to 10-12dps by hand.

3. Satin finish reprofiled to 8-10dps per side.

All measurements are eyeball estimates fyi.

This goes to show how thick 15dps really is.

I've batoned, chopped and pried with the satin finished Aqua Salt since the 2000's, and its never gotten edge damage.

I wouldn't worry about any steel Spyderco uses holding 15dps.
Last edited by vivi on Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

if rugernurse doesn't buy the one I PM'd him, he should list it here. It's a PE and the seller ships international for what looks like a reasonable fee.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:23 am
if rugernurse doesn't buy the one I PM'd him, he should list it here. It's a PE and the seller ships international for what looks like a reasonable fee.
That would be awesome (although I don’t blame them if they snap it up themselves!). I’ve fancied one for years but it always seemed a bit of an extravagance (this was before I started buying Spyderco knives), and now they’re like hen’s teeth.

Out of interest, is the Jumpmaster 2 yet to drop or discontinued? I found reviews of it from a few years ago, but they’re on pre-order on knifecenter. Rather puzzling!
- Al

Dream knives -
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It isn't listed as discontinued, but it was H-1 which has been discontinued. Maybe we'll see a run in H-2 one day.