Does anyone know how to cut brown Sharpmaker rods cleanly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Does anyone know how to cut brown Sharpmaker rods cleanly?

Post by JoviAl »

Hi all,

I’ve had an idea rolling around in my head for ages about bonding a section of Sharpmaker rod to a coffee (or in my case - Tea) mug with angled sides. It’s been on the back burner until recently when I discovered a beautiful large mug in Zurich with tapered side walls that are roughly 15 degrees from vertical. I’ve bought the mug, but now realised that I’m not sure how to cut the sharpmaker rod to the appropriate length so it doesn’t stick up into my face when I’m drinking from the opposite side. Alternatively I could just fabricate a new mug and turn the rod into part of the handle, but I’ll still need to cut it to size.

Any ideas? I have access to a fully equipped workshop with machining equipment and I have a Foredom at home that I use for porting engines, so tools abound. It’s more the technique of the thing I’m loathe to bodge.

Thanks in advance!
Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Re: Does anyone know how to cut brown Sharpmaker rods cleanly?

Post by JoviAl »

*or option #3 - can a brown rod tolerate being baked in a kiln if I make a new mug out of traditional materials with the rod integrated into the mug’s clay? 🤔

So many questions on the path to success 😉
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Imagine if you will that these rods are actually situated at ~15 degrees from the vertical plane (these are not the mugs I plan on using, just mocking it up for photos while on my lunch break at work). Every time you wash the cup the rods get the buildup removed too - a handy byproduct of the design.

I know Spyderco make beautiful branded mugs and brilliant sharpening equipment. I would love a merging of the two, especially with a cheeky pun in the name (although I can’t think of one off of the top of my head 🤷🏼‍♂️)
Attachments
IMG_1070.jpeg
IMG_1071.jpeg
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

The ‘Mentally-Sharp Maker’, on account of the mug containing caffeine AND it can make your knives crazy sharp?

I’ll get my coat 😳
- Al

Dream knives -
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Diamond-bladed tile or rock saw will cleanly cut Sharpmaker rods. Feed slowly with water coolant.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:54 pm
Diamond-bladed tile or rock saw will cleanly cut Sharpmaker rods. Feed slowly with water coolant.
Thank you Bill - that is very helpful. I believe we have a mitre-type tile saw with coolant feed in the workshop. Roughly what RPMs do I want to be spinning it at? I’m guessing just enough to cut without vibrations.
- Al

Dream knives -
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

Hi, Jovi,

Welcome to the forum. Stay safe.

Peanut
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

PeanutButterFan wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:58 pm
Hi, Jovi,

Welcome to the forum. Stay safe.

Peanut
Hi 👋🏻

I’ve been on here about a year now, but thanks anyways 🙂

Have a great day 👍🏻

Al
- Al

Dream knives -
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Al,

The rods are already fired t 3200 degrees F for 3-1/2 days, so baking is futile. We use diamond saws to cut them. As mentioned, slowly and carefully.

sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:50 am
Hi Al,

The rods are already fired t 3200 degrees F for 3-1/2 days, so baking is futile. We use diamond saws to cut them. As mentioned, slowly and carefully.

sal
Top info, thanks Sal 👍🏻 I’m hoping to create a repeatable proof of concept that I can gift to friends as well as have myself. I love a good project!
- Al

Dream knives -
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:57 pm
Roughly what RPMs do I want to be spinning it at? I’m guessing just enough to cut without vibrations.
Most lapidary saws spin at lower rpm than your standard construction saw and the blades are also more sensitive to speed in regards to glazing over. Tile saws have more durable blades that can withstand higher rpm but they are generally thicker and are designed for a more shallow cut. If your tile saw is variable speed setting it on the lowest setting will minimize chipping. Much like sharpening on a diamond stone you'll want the diamonds to do the work, applying pressure doesn't tend to make the cut go quicker. Heres a link for wet saw guidelines, it's over kill for a small project like this but worth a quick skim through.
https://www.ukam.com/cutting_recommendations.htm
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:33 am
JoviAl wrote:
Roughly what RPMs do I want to be spinning it at? I’m guessing just enough to cut without vibrations.
Most lapidary saws spin at lower rpm than your standard construction saw and the blades are also more sensitive to speed in regards to glazing over. Tile saws have more durable blades that can withstand higher rpm but they are generally thicker and are designed for a more shallow cut. If your tile saw is variable speed setting it on the lowest setting will minimize chipping. Much like sharpening on a diamond stone you'll want the diamonds to do the work, applying pressure doesn't tend to make the cut go quicker. Heres a link for wet saw guidelines, it's over kill for a small project like this but worth a quick skim through.
https://www.ukam.com/cutting_recommendations.htm
Thank you 🙏🏻 this is most useful. I have diamond abrasives for my Foredom which is highly speed adjustable, maybe that would be better for the job than the chunky table mounted tile saw 🤔 I’ve just been trawling Amazon for some mugs to do trials on. I’m going to need a heap of brown rods too (no potty jokes thank you gentlemen 😜).
- Al

Dream knives -
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If I was just doing a couple of these I would try a diamond hacksaw blade. These are generally handy and while I wouldn’t expect the substrate to hold up under a lot of use, they’re cheap and you can find them at a hardware store.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JoviAl wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:
Thank you Bill - that is very helpful. I believe we have a mitre-type tile saw with coolant feed in the workshop. Roughly what RPMs do I want to be spinning it at? I’m guessing just enough to cut without vibrations.
I’m not sure on RPM, but fast is good. My 7.25” diamond saw spins at around 5000 rpm, my 4.5” spins at 10,000 rpm. The feed rate at which the blade progresses through the cut should be slow and cooling water abundant so thermal stress doesn’t build up and the diamonds slowly cut their way through the ceramic without being forced. As we say, “Let the tool do the work.”
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:35 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:
I’m not sure on RPM, but fast is good. My 7.25” diamond saw spins at around 5000 rpm, my 4.5” spins at 10,000 rpm. The feed rate at which the blade progresses through the cut should be slow and cooling water abundant so thermal stress doesn’t build up and the diamonds slowly cut their way through the ceramic without being forced. As we say, “Let the tool do the work.”
Duly noted 👍🏻 I’m planning on ordering some brown rods this afternoon and getting to it when they arrive. Just a bit of fun, but it’s always nice to be able to give interesting and useful gifts.
- Al

Dream knives -
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Well. If I had not read this thread with an authoritative answer from Sal, I would have tried a masonry cutoff wheel (aka "abrasive disc") on a 4-1/2" angle grinder. For tile, brick, and stone; inexpensive. And I might have made a mess of things, too. I've no idea, that's just what I would have tried. Maybe it's good that I'm in California and you're in Singapore. Probably safer for you that way.

(I won't even get into the story about my trying to eliminate gophers with an oxy-acetelyne rig. For the record I did apologize to the neighbors but they really shouldn't have had so much flammable stuff sitting around on their property, and how was I to know gopher burrows went that far.)

Promise me at least that you will find a way to roughen the surface of your mug under the stones, so the epoxy has something to grab onto.

Oh wait, you speak the King's English. I meant: "...so the epoxy has something on which to grab."
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:36 pm
Well. If I had not read this thread with an authoritative answer from Sal, I would have tried a masonry cutoff wheel (aka "abrasive disc") on a 4-1/2" angle grinder. For tile, brick, and stone; inexpensive. And I might have made a mess of things, too. I've no idea, that's just what I would have tried. Maybe it's good that I'm in California and you're in Singapore. Probably safer for you that way.

(I won't even get into the story about my trying to eliminate gophers with an oxy-acetelyne rig. For the record I did apologize to the neighbors but they really shouldn't have had so much flammable stuff sitting around on their property, and how was I to know gopher burrows went that far.)

Promise me at least that you will find a way to roughen the surface of your mug under the stones, so the epoxy has something to grab onto.

Oh wait, you speak the King's English. I meant: "...so the epoxy has something on which to grab."
Thanks for that handy dandy American to English translation 😂 I was just staring at my phone in utter puzzlement until I saw that at the end.

I can’t imagine how you got to ‘oxyacetylene’ from the starting point of ‘gophers’, but I’m glad you did (your neighbours probs not so much)!
- Al

Dream knives -
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Uhh... yes you will! If that doesn't deserve an Off-Topic thread of its own, I don't know what does.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:39 am
Bolster wrote:
Uhh... yes you will! If that doesn't deserve an Off-Topic thread of its own, I don't know what does.
Here here!

PS - I wasn’t drinking a whisky JSumm. I had no plans to enjoy a dram tonight. But then I saw your tag line, and now here I am mysteriously holding a glass containing a finger of Glenfiddich 18. It’s like some sort of dark magic 😏

Cheers! 🥃
- Al

Dream knives -
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I would try a Dremel with a cut off disk. I mean the disk will cut hardened steel cleanly so I think it would work on a stone.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.