Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LuckyM

Re: Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Post by LuckyM »

That pinky issue is what I was worried about. The brick and mortar I stopped at on Sunday didn't have them in yet. I've seen some videos on YouTube but no one has done a serious review yet. I'm pretty disappointed hearing about the pinky not fitting.
max808

Post by max808 »

Thanks Mike! Shouldn't be too long before they make it across the Atlantic.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Where is the index finger supposed to locate, on a MicroJimbo? At point A or B? I'm sure you could do either, but for which location was the MicroJimbo designed? How does Mr. Janich hold it for its intended purpose, index forward (A) or index back (B)?
Attachments
MicroJimbo.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
LuckyM

Post by LuckyM »

"B" has to be the spot. The idea of the design as I understand it is to keep the same cockpit as the Yojimbo 2. Like how Glock did their mini Glocks back in the day. I think the handle on this guy is just coming up a little bit short. Although I have not had one in hand yet.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:25 pm
Where is the index finger supposed to locate, on a MicroJimbo? At point A or B? I'm sure you could do either, but for which location was the MicroJimbo designed? How does Mr. Janich hold it for its intended purpose, index forward (A) or index back (B)?
Dear Bolster:

For my purposes, typically B. If I'm using the knife for detail work, I typically choke up and put my index finger on the back of the blade.

I purposely made a but of a paradigm shift in the design of the MicroJimbo by incorporating a shorter handle and a deep-pocket clip. To be completely honest, if I'm only concerned about blade-length restrictions (like when I travel to Chicago and Boston), I carry a ChicagoJimbo--a full-sized Yojimbo with a bobbed blade. These are reminiscent of the blade-to-handle ratio of the original Yojimbo and the Kahr Arms Delica; however, many people who can't relate to or don't care about blade-length restrictions don't "get" this approach. As such, it's a very limited audience.

For the MicroJimbo, I achieved the target 2.5-inch blade length, but also shortened the handle and added the deep-pocket clip and a full-flat grind. I did that for several reasons:

Critics of the Yojimbo 2 (most of whom have never owned or handled one) claim the hollow grind makes the tip too fragile. The flat grind addresses that.
Some people insist that deep-pocket carry clips are a necessity. In reality, it's a balance of knife size, hand size, and clip position, as I've explained before on this forum and in the byte newsletter. The Micro's deep-pocket clip works--because of the smaller handle size.
I have a growing number of female MBC students. The Yojimbo 2 won't fit in the pockets of typical ladies' pants, but the smaller handle of the MicroJimbo will. In fact, some of the ladies at Spyderco have already embraced this and become MicroJimbo converts.

With all that said, I know the MicroJimbo's handle doesn't offer much of a home to your pinky. Neither do my .380 and pocket-sized 9mm pistols or my J-frame revolvers with concealable grips.

Life is a balance of priorities and compromises... Fortunately, Spyderco has given me the opportunity to offer a range of choices as well.

Stay safe,

Mike
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:04 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:25 pm
Dear Bolster:

For my purposes, typically B. If I'm using the knife for detail work, I typically choke up and put my index finger on the back of the blade.

I purposely made a but of a paradigm shift in the design of the MicroJimbo by incorporating a shorter handle and a deep-pocket clip. To be completely honest, if I'm only concerned about blade-length restrictions (like when I travel to Chicago and Boston), I carry a ChicagoJimbo--a full-sized Yojimbo with a bobbed blade. These are reminiscent of the blade-to-handle ratio of the original Yojimbo and the Kahr Arms Delica; however, many people who can't relate to or don't care about blade-length restrictions don't "get" this approach. As such, it's a very limited audience.

For the MicroJimbo, I achieved the target 2.5-inch blade length, but also shortened the handle and added the deep-pocket clip and a full-flat grind. I did that for several reasons:

Critics of the Yojimbo 2 (most of whom have never owned or handled one) claim the hollow grind makes the tip too fragile. The flat grind addresses that.
Some people insist that deep-pocket carry clips are a necessity. In reality, it's a balance of knife size, hand size, and clip position, as I've explained before on this forum and in the byte newsletter. The Micro's deep-pocket clip works--because of the smaller handle size.
I have a growing number of female MBC students. The Yojimbo 2 won't fit in the pockets of typical ladies' pants, but the smaller handle of the MicroJimbo will. In fact, some of the ladies at Spyderco have already embraced this and become MicroJimbo converts.

With all that said, I know the MicroJimbo's handle doesn't offer much of a home to your pinky. Neither do my .380 and pocket-sized 9mm pistols or my J-frame revolvers with concealable grips.

Life is a balance of priorities and compromises... Fortunately, Spyderco has given me the opportunity to offer a range of choices as well.

Stay safe,

Mike
Great explanation
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:04 pm
Yeah, a very cool little utility/edc knife. It's much more versatile that way anyway.
The ergos look better than the 2 (from an EDC perspective).

I recently sanded down the distal finger points on my Yo2; the ergos improved.