If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
horzuff

Re: If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Post by horzuff »

We have pretty lenient knife laws where I live, so I'm usually not stopped by law. I also am pretty discreet with my knife use, plus mostly use knives not that publicly, so perception is also not a problem.

The only real thing that makes me carry smaller knives is that very few good (subjectively ofc) designs are implemented with 4"+ blades. But I take what I can and already have a Police 4 LW K390, Mili 2 (waiting for S110V and some tool steel), Stretch 2 XL and waiting for a Chief S90V (plus plans for one of the lightweights, probably the SPY27 or MagnaCut). I'd be thrilled if there was a Native King or Native Big Chief with a 4,5-5" blade
Fastidiotus

Re: If laws and public perception were no issue, would you carry a different knife?

Post by Fastidiotus »

A wise man once said if you're going to break the law don't break more than one at a time. I don't feel the need to carry bigger then a 4" blade. When I lived in Los Angeles where there is a 3" blade limit I would usually just disregard it and carry what I want, but I wouldn't dare carry an assisted, auto, or otf knife. Anything tacticool is also a no go, if it looks like it's main purpose is to harm you're going to be given a hard time legal or not.

Recognize that an officers entire day is stressful. Once they've made it clear that they want to interact with you, immediately identify to them that you have a pocket knife and keep your hands up and away from your pockets. Make it clear that you have no intention to harm them, and are willing to comply with any reasonable requests to make them feel safe about the situation. Laws are written but they're enforced by people. Being respectful, and doing everything on your end to ease their nerves and make them comfortable can buy you a lot of grace.

Had the pleasure of talking with the cops on 3 or 4 occasions, they would lay the blade across their palm and deem it close enough to acceptable. Never been confiscated or ticketed. I'm white and was living in a very good ol boy area of LA county. Well aware I enjoyed a different standard of treatment than my Asian, Hispanic, and Black friends and other areas of the county as well. Now that I live without restrictions my preferences haven't changed and I still carry the same. When I travel back home though I obey the length law because it's not worth the stress as an "out of towner" for an extra inch or less of blade while I'm on vacation.
Windward

Post by Windward »

No length restrictions where i live in New York, and still enough of a fishing town that , outside of tourist season, no one cares if youve got a knife. I still carry 3-4 ". Even for work its plenty, but it also takes up less pocket space. I carry too much as is. at work. Any bigger of a knife it would get annoying. Out of work, most of my edc tasks could be done with a 1" box cutter blade. If i need anything bigger at work or home, than 4", ill just carry a fixed blade in a sheath, or just get it. And put it away after the task is done.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Not too many legal issues where I live. I believe I am supposed to step down in size when I set foot in my kids schools (2" I believe). There is a 12" limit and above that size a liscense is required.

I really prefer the 3.5" length. Kinda of a personal goldilocks zone. Some things I do, I prefer a longer blade so I will carry that. Other things like utility type uses I end up using the tip a lot, so I prefer something smaller. Smaller ends up being easier for some utility work, but If I am only carrying one knife I do not prefer anything under 3". 3.5" for me ends up being more versatile.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good question. U.K. citizen, so we have hysteria driven - and often bizarre- anti-knife laws.

I would still have the SAK alox bantam in my wallet, and still carry the Manbug Wharnie SE around the house at all times.

I only ever use my yard work knife N5 m4 on private properly anyway, so no change there.

I would pocket my Matriarch if walking across the city at night (obviously I don’t do that now as it would be unlawful 😜).

I *would* however put my sabre edged Delica back in my (employed) work bag rather than the Tern, as a locking knife is far better for what I need for my job (and currently carrying it just in case you need it is problematic, here, so it’s kept in the car for when I can prove that I do).

I would also carry a locker when I could sometimes, just because I like them. Would it be more useful than a Spits or UKPK? Probably not.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I have always carried what I wanted/liked/needed.

I don't generally get much, if any, negative feedback or "off" reaction to, or for it either. A Police 4 LW (K390 PE lately) doesn't look so big in my hands.
I handed mine to a co-worker last night after cutting up some tri-walls (~ 4'x4'x4' quad laminated/heavy duty cardboard boxes) and he, as soon as he put his hands around it, said something like "geeze, this is like a folding machete".

Yep, he has small hands... (smaller than mine anyway)

A friend of mine who also likes what some think of as "big knives" hypothesized to me some years ago now; that people's perception of knife size has a lot to do with the hand size of the person holding/using the knife.
He's proportional 5'8"-ish and favors a Resilience (his a S35VN one). He has told me of many times when people react not so well to when he takes is out of his pocket, opens it, and uses it.
He noted though, that when the over 6'2" tall guys where he works have it in their hand and/or are using it, it never even gets a second glance - because [he hypothesisez] it looks like a much smaller knife in their hand.

u.w.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

I have been living in the UK 15+ years and I am a citizen now. But I never carry more than a medium sized SAKs ( Climber, Cadet, Sportsman...+ a Classic/Rambler). I have a UKPK but I dont need and dont wanna risk it.
It is probably over conservative but I go by easily with this set up.
When I am in non-familiar European countries I would follow tend to carry SAKs mostly as even those may be illegal (eg Italy).
In Poland, I could carry a sword but the biggest I carry would be my Pac Salt or my Kansept Korvid XL. Those are my biggest knives.
In France, my home country, I go above the law (which in theory says no knife) fairly confidently. But since I bought more small sized Spyderco tends to limit myself to maximum a Delica unless I am "adventuring".

As a summary, if the law are "too restrictive", I'll allow myself to go beyond. But as much as I dont not have huge needs, I would probably carry more diversified knives if I was allowed.

I dont care much about public perception, but definitely, you feel "perception".
Flash

Post by Flash »

Here in the U.K. Public perception has never been an issue for me, government imposed laws have.

If you were to believe the government and in turn the mainstream media in the U.K, ANY knife carrying person is to be automatically vilified and should be considered a killer-at-large. There was even talks about the government putting trackers on all knives sold. I kid you not! That’s the kind of people we have here running our country.

However in my experience (back in the real world where I like to reside) when people see me carrying and using a knife, which I have always clearly had good reason to be doing so as I work outdoors doing a manual job and have hobbies that require the use of knives, there has never been an issue.

I still think people are capable of common sense and rational independent thought, but there are limitations - if you were an Office worker carrying an ESEE Junglas for example, you would be insane for not at least expecting sideward glances from you co-workers.

For me carrying a locking knife in my pocket is something I have to give extra thought to when I’m not working on a private property. Once I leave a residential area, I am essentially fair game for the authorities, it’s then up to me to prove I don’t have bad intentions with that knife, so in that respect it’s easier for me to carry a slip joint. To be honest, for me at least, a good well designed 3” Slippie can do 99% of what a locking knife can do.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I would personally not change a thing in the knives i carry. Aslong as i behave myself and dont wander in to specific area's like airports or goverment buildings i am fine. But that said even if i was allowed i would not carry auto's or other kinds of illegal carry knives.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:00 am
Yes, I'd carry any of my 3-4 inch folders in public that I now carry at home.

In my part of Aus it is not lawful to carry any folder (not even a tiny Vic Classic) unless "for a good and specific reason". "General utility" is not a good reason. :eye-roll
Come up to Northern Australia mate ...you can carry anything.

Gotta thank Mick Dundee for that :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

Law here is 3.5" if you want to conceal but there's no limit for open carry. I'd probably still stick to my preferred 3-3.5 inch range. Although I might carry a 4" from time to time if allowed.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

No. My location has no knife laws. In fact you can open carry knife/firearm legally.

I find that a 3-4" blade does everything I need for EDC tasks.

YMMV.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:05 pm
I recently traded a forum member here for a 5.5" bladed pocket knife.

I've found that for a lot of things I use a pocket knife for, this size works better than the 3.5-4" blades I'd often carry instead.

One of the reasons he traded it was being unable to carry it legally.

So it got me thinking - would you guys carry a different sized knife if there were no blade length laws and no potential issues with public perception?

Or would you carry the same size you normally do?
I would ditch folders.

I'd probably carry a 5 to 7 inch fixed blade all of the time, but I do like the 4.5 inch Spartan Harsey Tactical Trout. I might carry 2 or 3 of those at once.

Off the top of my head I might carry a 6 1/4" Spartan Harsey Difensa in Magnacut, or a 5.5" RMJ Raider Dagger in 3V.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

No. I can carry just about anything I want where I live
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

billdoier72 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:10 am
No. My location has no knife laws. In fact you can open carry knife/firearm legally.
Since I moved to a smaller town I have seen three people open carrying handguns at Walmart and many more pocket clips on pants than I used to see at my previous residence. Unlike most people that I've run into in public spaces in my life, this makes me much more comfortable than seeing a bunch of people who are so ignorant that they think knives make a person inherently dangerous. I like my new town.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:17 am
billdoier72 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:10 am
Since I moved to a smaller town I have seen three people open carrying handguns at Walmart and many more pocket clips on pants than I used to see at my previous residence. Unlike most people that I've run into in public spaces in my life, this makes me much more comfortable than seeing a bunch of people who are so ignorant that they think knives make a person inherently dangerous. I like my new town.
Sounds like a nice place. Glad you found a good spot.

As to the question, I would not adjust what I carry since I can carry whatever and the blade is usually around 3.5" - give or take.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have not interacted with a cop in years. I also don’t care about public perception. Those factors have zero influence on what I carry.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Yes, but my main choice wouldn't be all that different. First, some background. I live and work in the Boston area. You really can't get much more restrictive than that, so my answer is obviously "yes". However, I have a Delica with sentimental value, so that would be carry over 90% of the time. So I would be going from 2.5 inches to 2.89 inches. Hardly a dramatic change.

That said, I would, on occasion, carry something larger. It is always fun to carry something new. I'd certainly buy more knifes. Right now, doesn't seem worth it to get every knife that catches my fancy. I still buy knives larger than the legal limit, I am just much more selective.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in as another that has never given it a second thought about what I carry and where. As long as you don't pull it out in front of a group of people, I don't see the issue. Unless you're about to be placed under arrest and they find it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

No… never had an issue carrying what I liked/wanted and we have few laws for knives. Heck we can carry firearms if you are legally eligible to buy it in my state.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…