Thoughts on Hogue Deka?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Barmoley

Re: Thoughts on Hogue Deka?

Post by Barmoley »

I have a MagnaCut deka and the blade is not soft, it performs very well. It might be softer than internet experts think it should be, but it performs well. The pocket clip sucks though. My first one broke and hogue replaced it for free, the replacement took a set to it. I didn’t abuse it just carry it in my pocket. The scales are fine, no hot spots for me even on extensive use. So I would go with an aftermarket pocket clip, since I have no trust in the hogue one. This is the first time I’ve had any trouble with a pocket clip on any folder out of many I’ve used.
staunen2

Post by staunen2 »

Thanks, guys. Looking forward to the knife being be delivered soon.
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

Barmoley wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:20 pm
I have a MagnaCut deka and the blade is not soft, it performs very well. It might be softer than internet experts think it should be, but it performs well. The pocket clip sucks though. My first one broke and hogue replaced it for free, the replacement took a set to it. I didn’t abuse it just carry it in my pocket. The scales are fine, no hot spots for me even on extensive use. So I would go with an aftermarket pocket clip, since I have no trust in the hogue one. This is the first time I’ve had any trouble with a pocket clip on any folder out of many I’ve used.
Yeah, the current pocket clips on Dekas are junk. The DLT model was maybe my favorite folder of 2023, but the pocket clip broke literally in 2 days of carry to work. That is in a bakery mind you, so it broke probably rubbing against other steel (racks, bowls, etc) during cleanup. I only noticed because I actually found the clip on the floor.

Thankfully, Lynch NW makes great titanium clips and is a pretty local business to me.
The Aflac Duck

Post by The Aflac Duck »

The CF version with 20CV is a fantastic knife, they do that steel very well. I have not tried their Magnacut yet.
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

I have the 2nd generation blue Wharncliff in 20cv and it is a real slicer with good g10 scales. Solid feeling slim knife. The blue 20cv is $104 at Dack and the Magnacut is $95. I’m thinking about getting the uncoated Magnacut but then have to spend about $60 for nice scales.
Bruce