Reveal 15: Shivering with Anticipation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Reveal 15: Shivering with Anticipation

Post by Bolster »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:11 pm
I'd suggest that we wildly speculate and then argue about it!

:cheap-sunglasses :party-face :hot-face :discguised :cussing :vomit :*

That's a fantastic idea. OR, we could argue about it first and THEN wildly speculate. It's such a winning combination, you can't lose, either way you go.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:29 pm
I think I'm confused on how the Reveals work - didn't we just get 14? Is it once per quarter?

It's been quarterly for a few years. In the Covid Times, there were fewer. And the Reveals haven't been numbered for all that long, so there's insufficient data to formulate a pattern. But that won't stop me from wildly speculating.

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:11 am
Enactive wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:11 pm
I'd suggest that we wildly speculate and then argue about it!

:cheap-sunglasses :party-face :hot-face :discguised :cussing :vomit :*

That's a fantastic idea. OR, we could argue about it first and THEN wildly speculate. It's such a winning combination, you can't lose, either way you go.
I really think any combination or permutation is a winner for all! Happy New Year Everybody!!!
Matus

Post by Matus »

Since most of the knives in the Reveal 14 are yet to hit the shelves, I am not all that much in the hurry for the 15. In the 14 Sypderco has (and IMO it was a good decision) focused on rolling out steels (that they have spend a lot of time and money to develop) in several existing models. I would prefer them to take the time to first bring those knives to customers and then come with the new reveal - where I would hope to see some new 'weird' models as not many have been left in the catalog for 2024.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Please do the Bow River in LC200N or magnacut. Would be an amazing camp knife
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

RugerNurse wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:58 am
In general it's hard for me to get too excited about another reveal when I still can't get knives from the last one, and the must-buy list was long enough there to tie up my knife funds for a while. That said, I have wanted a Bow River sprint in an upgraded steel for a while, I'd be in on something like this.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:53 pm
And "all" Spyderco would have to do is grinding teeth in a proportion of Manix LWs they make.
Spyderco already makes too much stuff. Every SKU has overhead and takes production capacity away from other SKU’s.

They used to make a full serrated Manix 2 (G-10, original hollow ground version). Presumably they found the uptake to be not worth continuing it. On the bright side you may be able to find one of those original SE knives and blade swap.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:53 pm
And "all" Spyderco would have to do is grinding teeth in a proportion of Manix LWs they make.
Spyderco already makes too much stuff. Every SKU has overhead and takes production capacity away from other SKU’s.

They used to make a full serrated Manix 2 (G-10, original hollow ground version). Presumably they found the uptake to be not worth continuing it. On the bright side you may be able to find one of those original SE knives and blade swap.

I get what you say... but have to disgree when it comes to the Manix 2.

I mean, grinding serrations in some of the pieces when it is pretty much 100% guaranteed that they will sell (especially in a SALT, in this series SE appearantly is a lot more popular) can´t be THAT much of a deal and investment - given that, again, they bring out NEW models, of which sales are unclear, in PE, SE and often additionally CE right from the start.

And in the Lil Native LW, the Chief LW in several steels, the Stretch XL in two steels and so on it is no question that there is an SE version too.

Sorry, but I see NO reason why the first ffg Manix 2 SE should sell less like any of that models above - most likely it would sell better, since it is more unique (starting with being the only real CBBL model), an already very popular platform and now with a Salt variant there is even more reason for teeth.

There definitely will be a not too small share of folks who love the Manix platform and the CBBL and the enhanced cutting power of SE... and so would love the combo of those.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:

You should consider the Waterway as long as it is available...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I think since they've gone to digital reveals anyway, they should reveal one new product at a time, and send out the reveal when the CC numbered pieces ship. This "Coming Soon!" three to eighteen months in advance got old a long time ago.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:27 am
RugerNurse wrote:

Been eyeing one also. $175 is a lot for it though. But o don’t think they are being made anymore
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:56 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:27 am
RugerNurse wrote:

Been eyeing one also. $175 is a lot for it though. But o don’t think they are being made anymore

No, not made anymore but still to be found...

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-wat ... alt-series
Flash

Post by Flash »

I’m still “shivering with anticipation” for knives that were revealed two reveals ago.

I’m not sure how much more shivering I can do until the day finally comes when I get to have a Magnacut UKPK in my cold, shivering, near lifeless hands! :smirk
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:17 am
kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:29 pm
I think I'm confused on how the Reveals work - didn't we just get 14? Is it once per quarter?

It's been quarterly for a few years. In the Covid Times, there were fewer. And the Reveals haven't been numbered for all that long, so there's insufficient data to formulate a pattern. But that won't stop me from wildly speculating.

It’s actually never been quarterly but there was a bit of a release date pattern forming. The most recent reveal (reveal 14) bucked that trend though and was released much later than years prior. This delay could have been for a number of reasons. It could’ve been intentional to make the reveals less predictable or it could have just been a natural byproduct of being so busy in other parts of their business. (Like the factory expansion, for example)

Also, the reveal catalogs have always been labeled chronologically. (The first ever reveal catalog was “Reveal 1”)

Based on the “pattern” in which the reveals have been released in the past, we still have anywhere from one day to about two weeks before we see it. If that “pattern” is just a coincidence, then it’s anyones guess when we’ll see Reveal 15. If the delay of Reveal 14 has any effect on the release of Reveal 15, it might even be a month or two before we see Reveal 15.

For reference, these are the Spyderco reveal release dates to this point -

Reveal 1: Friday, January 11th 2019
Reveal 2: Thursday, May 2nd 2019
Reveal 3: Monday, September 16th 2019
Reveal 4: Wednesday, January 15th 2020
Reveal 5: Tuesday, May 5th 2020
Reveal 6: Wednesday, September 9th 2020
Reveal 7: Tuesday, January 19th 2021
Reveal 8: Tuesday, May 11th 2021
Reveal 9‪: ‬Tuesday, January 11th 2022
Reveal 10: Wednesday, June 1st 2022
Reveal 11:‪ ‬Tuesday, September 27th 2022
Reveal 12: Friday, January 13th 2023
Reveal 13: Thursday, May 25th 2023
Reveal 14: Wednesday, October 18th 2023
-Nick :bug-red
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I'm still waiting for a MagnaCut UKPK to use as my summer cycling knife. No need to rush into another reveal, number 14 alone has a whole pile of knives that haven't made it to the wild yet.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:25 am
Sorry, but I see NO reason why
And yet Spyderco produced an SE Manix2 and discontinued it. I’m guessing it did not make sense economically.

People make too much of the FFG vs HG. You should snag a used SE Manix and enjoy it. They’re not super easy to find but they’re out there.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:26 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:25 am
Sorry, but I see NO reason why
And yet Spyderco produced an SE Manix2 and discontinued it. I’m guessing it did not make sense economically.

People make too much of the FFG vs HG. You should snag a used SE Manix and enjoy it. They’re not super easy to find but they’re out there.
Thanks for the suggestion, but when it comes to the Manix I definitely want the lightweight, not the G10.

And when you say "people make too much of ffg vs hg": You could be right, but still many people just do prefer ffg and would rather buy a folder in that grind, regardless if there are a lot of reasons or not.

So just because there was a serrated hollow ground G10 Manix a long time ago and perhaps did not sell too well back then, does not mean a serrated lightweight ffg Manix would not either, especially a Salt where a serrated variant almost always is offered.
Completely different story.

I don't even know how popular the Manix itself was back when the hg SE version existed and if there was already an LW version back then.

To me it is obvious (but sure I could be wrong): If a Para 3 LW, a Chief LW, a Stretch XL, an Endela and so on sell in SE, there is no reason a Manix 2 LW SE would not either sell equally well if not better - even more so in a Salt version.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:35 pm
Based on the “pattern” in which the reveals have been released in the past, we still have anywhere from one day to about two weeks before we see it. If that “pattern” is just a coincidence, then it’s anyones guess when we’ll see Reveal 15.

Fie! Fie on your data and your logic!

My hope was for a new reveal, with a new knife, serrated, in some kind of fancy steel, that was going to be released within the week. You've convinced me of the harsh reality and dashed my dreams. Hoping for something in the future is a waste of time and I need to embrace the present.

Instead of "hoping" for a future knife, I pulled a brand new Endura out of my drawer to use as my new EDC. I took it out of the box and disassembled it. I dyed the scales to match the color of my climbing gear. The black clip was sandblasted and then given a somewhat-brushed finish to match the blade. I straightened out the spring a bit. It was reassembled with all the screw heads on the left side.

The resale value of this knee has plummeted, but the knife is now "mine."
And I'm no longer waiting to see what might come along in the next Reveal.

IMG_4471.jpeg
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am waiting for the SE Chaparral. It's fine if that's the only Spyderco I buy this year. I can wait until next year for the BBB folder.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:43 am
I am waiting for the SE Chaparral....

Same here... I believe this will be an amazing cutting machine!!