Favorite non spyderco knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Re: Favorite non spyderco knives?

Post by Naperville »

benben wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:56 am
Naperville wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:17 am
I know this is slightly derailing the thread but I must have 10 Spyderco Knives that I want and I will be buying them before I buy elsewhere.
I know exactly how you feel, I REALLY want a Hinderer Skinny Sheepsfoot but there's just too many Spyderco's in the way for me!
I started to collect the Spyderco Native Chief, and I have really taken a liking to that knife. So much so that the next dozen knives will all be Native Chiefs with some duplicates in there. It is a small package and the best 4 inch folder for self defense where you cannot carry a dagger.

Just my opinion, but I think it is hard to beat the Spyderco Native Chief and I've been starring at knives for hours per day for 5+ years and seen thousands of pictures of different models.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

The laplander is my favorite folding saw I've tried. I pack a larger one if I know I'll need it, but otherwise this is long enough for most my uses. Very light.

The squirt is the best pocket multitool I've tried. Wish I could find something I like as much still in production.

The dogfather has lasted longer in my collection than nearly anything else at this point. Don't see myself ever selling it. It's a lot of fun to use and really versatile, especially after the mods I did to it. Made it a little thinner, lighter and took the edge angle down. Less fatiguing to use and a much deeper bite on chops. Also ground off the thumb ramp and re-shaped the choil so it feels better choked up.

The SR1 is new but I'm pretty happy with it. May order the G10 version soon. It didn't feel nearly as good as the 4max or recon 1 when I handled a bunch of CS folders in the store, but it works really well for me in use. With a reprofiled edge the cutting ability is pretty decent for a 5mm thick saber ground blade. Wouldn't call it a favorite just yet, but out of my 6 cold steel folders it is the one I reach for most.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When it comes to good dependable "USER" blades it's hard to beat VICTORINOX and COLD STEEL both for the price. It's not too often that I go outside the Spyderco brand but when I do I find myself using VICTORINOX blades as well as some older COLD STEEL models from about 12 to 15 years back.

Just because Spyderco is my ultimate favorite it doesn't mean that I don't use other brands on occasion.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Fan of (American) Queen and Schatt & Morgan...may they Rest in Peace. Though S&M may be making a comeback from Ohio.

Attachments
Queen Teardrops.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I have and enjoy using small Buck knives. My favorite is the Buck Model 501 Squire.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:52 pm

The laplander is my favorite folding saw I've tried. I pack a larger one if I know I'll need it, but otherwise this is long enough for most my uses. Very light.

The squirt is the best pocket multitool I've tried. Wish I could find something I like as much still in production.

The dogfather has lasted longer in my collection than nearly anything else at this point. Don't see myself ever selling it. It's a lot of fun to use and really versatile, especially after the mods I did to it. Made it a little thinner, lighter and took the edge angle down. Less fatiguing to use and a much deeper bite on chops. Also ground off the thumb ramp and re-shaped the choil so it feels better choked up.

The SR1 is new but I'm pretty happy with it. May order the G10 version soon. It didn't feel nearly as good as the 4max or recon 1 when I handled a bunch of CS folders in the store, but it works really well for me in use. With a reprofiled edge the cutting ability is pretty decent for a 5mm thick saber ground blade. Wouldn't call it a favorite just yet, but out of my 6 cold steel folders it is the one I reach for most.
Vivi I hear you on the Squirt! The red one I've carried for years is now mostly silver from pocket wear. Really a shame it was discord.
Gonna have to try an SR1 lite.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I do love myself a good bark river, I think like spyderco they much prioritize a well balanced design with great compactness, ergonomics and capability
Attachments
IMG_3876.jpeg
IMG_3875.jpeg
:bug-red-white
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

This Chaves made Reate is really special....
A touch smoother than even a Tri-Way Hinderer!
It's so very nice & such a good score for the on sale price that they are....this may be my new favorite non Spydie Flipper - the Lee Williams Kickstop is pretty awesome!
I've got another Chaves 229 coming in Friday- hopefully tomorrow, it's the Liberation Tanto - it's not a flipper but, has thumb studs. Can't wait to get it. If it's as smooth as the 229 Rendencion Lee Williams Kickstop then I'll have a new favorite non Spydie - Ramon Chaves!
SpyderJunky

Post by SpyderJunky »

Esee Sencillo in Magnacut.
Looking forward to its first match up with my next (3rd) North Georgia bear...
At 65 yo, I think it will be the last skinner I ever need.
( ...unless I can find the appropriate Spyderco one. :thinking )
Screenshot_20240106_141341_Photos_copy_540x957.jpg
Screenshot_20240106_141301_Photos_copy_535x304.jpg
"I have too many Spyderco knives"-said no man ever.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Spyderco + Bark River make up the bulk of my knife collection. If I had more money, I'd have quite a few more CRKs, and a few more Benchmades.
RugerNurse wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:19 pm
Any tips on a lower priced 4” belt knife? Something with a “broomstick” style handle
Depending on your Budget:
- BP Knives BP1 ~$35
- Mora Kansbol ~$40
- ESEE 4 HM ~$95
- Mora Garberg ~$100
- KABAR Kephart ~$225
- LT Wright Genesis ~$250
- Bark River Kephart ~$300

All good knives. I think the Genesis is the quintessential "broomstick" handle these days. You can pick them up cheaper used, sometimes in the $100-150 range.
Bolster wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:39 pm
Fan of (American) Queen and Schatt & Morgan...may they Rest in Peace. Though S&M may be making a comeback from Ohio.

How do you feel about GEC?
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:33 am
I do love myself a good bark river, I think like spyderco they much prioritize a well balanced design with great compactness, ergonomics and capability
Both owners also go out of their way to interact with their customer base.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.