Knives - FRN with Liners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shane1

Knives - FRN with Liners

Post by shane1 »

I recently purchased the Spyderco Police LW in K390 and the Stretch 2 K390. I really like the way both of them feel and the heft with liners. Are there any other FRN knives that have liner similar to these knives?
vivi

Re: Knives - FRN with Liners

Post by vivi »

Many FRN knives Spyderco makes will have lined handles, outside of the salt series.

The following models will have liners - Endura, Delica, Rockjumper, Stretch 2, Police, Para 3 (partial), etc.

The following models do not have liners - Native Chief, Dragonfly, UKPK, Stretch XL, Pacific Salt, Salt 2, etc.

They make them both ways. In fact some models even blur the distinction like the Mini Manix, which has very small partial liners around the pivot / lock area, but are otherwise linerless.
:unicorn
shane1

Post by shane1 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:31 pm
Many FRN knives Spyderco makes will have lined handles, outside of the salt series.

The following models will have liners - Endura, Delica, Rockjumper, Stretch 2, Police, Para 3 (partial), etc.

The following models do not have liners - Native Chief, Dragonfly, UKPK, Stretch XL, Pacific Salt, Salt 2, etc.

They make them both ways. In fact some models even blur the distinction like the Mini Manix, which has very small partial liners around the pivot / lock area, but are otherwise linerless.
Thank you. I have the Pacific Salt also which I plan on using when the weather warms up.
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

The LW Goddard with its one piece, linerless handle feels stiffer to me than any Endura or Delica.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mr_Whiskerz wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:43 pm
The LW Goddard with its one piece, linerless handle feels stiffer to me than any Endura or Delica.

Really ?!

I love my Goddard and it feels strong and stiff enough - but a linered Endura or Delica definitely even more so.

The Goddard also has more handle flex side to side or when "squeezing" the scales.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

The chaparral lightweight is frn with liners. Very solid feeling, yet with a very slicey thin blade. Great knife.
shane1

Post by shane1 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:02 pm
The chaparral lightweight is frn with liners. Very solid feeling, yet with a very slicey thin blade. Great knife.
That was in my cart but just sold out. I will definitely be getting that one or the Chaparral® Raffir Noble. Also considering these:
Stretch™ 2 XL Gray G-10 CPM® Cru-Wear
Bradley 2
Kapara
Shaman
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Another nice feature of the FRN chap is the full steel back spacer. It is one of the few (or only?) current FRN models that has a steel back spacer. This helps gives a very solid and more premium feeling than some other FRN models.

AFAIK all the Chap models have a full steel back spacer.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Both your knives are Seki Japan made backlocks. The Endura/Delica/Endela family or the Rockjumper/Leafjumper family will probably share similar characteristics and have liners. Just my opinion but the Delica is a similar constructed smaller knife that is as tried and tested as it gets.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I wouldn't say it's similar since it's not a lockback but Lil Temperance LW is FRN with liners and it's very solid and hefty. Really love it with the serrations, very slicey teeth comparable to the Caribbean and Endela.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I completely agree with Enactive and Notsurewhy on the Chap FRN.

Really sturdy and solid feel in hand and use (in a good way "heavy" for its size).
The extremely solid lockup contributes to that (unlike all (?) other Spyderco lockbacks the Chap features an internal stop pin).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:32 pm
I wouldn't say it's similar since it's not a lockback but Lil Temperance LW is FRN with liners and it's very solid and hefty. Really love it with the serrations, very slicey teeth comparable to the Caribbean and Endela.
The temp folders are very hand filling designs for how short they are. Some of the most comfortable handles I've used in a folder of that length.
:unicorn
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:59 pm
The temp folders are very hand filling designs for how short they are. Some of the most comfortable handles I've used in a folder of that length.
I was on the fence about getting one, but it feels great in the hand. Like a lot of people I thought the vg10 versions were overpriced but they really are worth the money. The FRN really lends itself well to the comp lock since they can mold the edges rounded off instead of trying to chamfer g10.
TomH

Post by TomH »

+1 on the Lil' Temp 3. I didn't like the Temp 2 version which was in G10, but the Temp 3 in FRN is really a nice knife.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:17 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Another nice feature of the FRN chap is the full steel back spacer. It is one of the few (or only?) current FRN models that has a steel back spacer. This helps gives a very solid and more premium feeling than some other FRN models.

Imagine the Delica form factor with Chap frn fit and finish... Spyderco why are you doing this to.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Xformer wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:28 pm
Enactive wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:17 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:

Imagine the Delica form factor with Chap frn fit and finish... Spyderco why are you doing this to.
I hear you!

In my case the Hap40 pakkawood D4 does that job. Mine has a lovely build. I dig well-hafted mid lockback knives with exposed liners and a full back spacer. I like FRN fine on a work knife, but prefer wood, G10, micarta, bone and antler on my less rough and tumble knives.

Hap 40 is also a brilliant steel, and i enjoy laminated blades too.

PXL_20240107_223945056.jpg
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Nice Delica!

If the steel was something other than Hap 40 I might have that model on my purchase list!
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:34 pm
Nice Delica!

If the steel was something other than Hap 40 I might have that model on my purchase list!
There is a version with black wood and Damascus (vg10 core) if that is more to your liking. Looks like they are out of stock but they may do another run or you could go secondary market.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP11WD ... -exclusive