What knife is best for…

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

What knife is best for…

Post by JoviAl »

Having just returned from holiday and been reunited with all of my knives, I literally had the pick of the bunch when a huge box my kids had been playing in needed cutting down into bits small enough for the recycling bin. I very (very very) rarely cut up large quantities of cardboard, so I just picked what I thought would be suited to the task - my 15V Shaman. Ten minutes and no small amount of coarse language later I had a rather sore hand and still quite large bits of cardboard. Huh - turns out maybe that the sum of that knife’s parts don’t necessarily make it a cardboard destroyer 🤷🏼‍♂️ It got me to thinking - what are my ideal uses for the current models by Spyderco that I use a lot now that I’ve gotten some days of time racked up using them, and what steel would I want to compliment that use?

My take on the ones I use frequently would be (model, use, steel):

Shaman - I haven’t found it’s ideal use yet - Cruwear

Caribbean (leaf) - outdoor work or hunting - LC200N

Police 4 LW SE - most stuff - K390

Dragonfly - EDC - H2(SE) or K390

Manix 2 XL - does most things well - Cruwear

Rockjumper - EDC/Outdoor work - magnacut or H2

Yojumbo - grafting plants - S90V or cruwear

Yojimbo - making feather sticks - cruwear

Mule - general outdoor use - magnacut or cruwear

I own a lot more models, but these are the standout ones that get a lot of use.

I would be interested to hear other people’s takes on their most used knives and what they ended up finding they excelled at. Some of mine (especially the Micheal Janich models) really bucked my expectations and turned out to be extremely useful for a lot of things, whereas others have yet to find their niche for me.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
shane1

Re: What knife is best for…

Post by shane1 »

How to you like the Police 4 LW K390 SE? I am trying to decide between the plain and serrated.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

shane1 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:08 pm
How to you like the Police 4 LW K390 SE? I am trying to decide between the plain and serrated.
It is a fantastic knife. If you like SE and you have a sharpmaker I wouldn’t hesitate. I’m going to buy one in PE as well - it’s that good 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i actually found my pacific salt to be a better knife for breaking down cardboard than my manix. i think the thinner chisel grind plus the hollow grind are both big factors in that.

to be honest, if i'm going to be breaking down more than a box or two, i'm reaching for a utility knife. they are king for cardboard and it's not even close.

the reason i like the manix so much though is that it's good for edc tasks and can be pushed into harder use without being too much. plus, it fits my hand perfectly.

serrated salts are my go to for a backup knife/emergency blade to ride iwb. i will always have one there, even if it's all i'm carrying.

i have a lot of others that i carry for various reasons, but whatever i'm carrying has to be able to cover all the things i've stated above.

i don't really think of a specific knife for a specific purpose. i think of all knives in my collection in the terms of how they function for edc, emergencies, survival scenarios, and self-defense, and i prioritize them in that order. if i feel that the knife i want to carry is lacking in one or more of these areas, i usually carry multiples to make up for it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:12 pm
i actually found my pacific salt to be a better knife for breaking down cardboard than my manix. i think the thinner chisel grind plus the hollow grind are both big factors in that.

to be honest, if i'm going to be breaking down more than a box or two, i'm reaching for a utility knife. they are king for cardboard and it's not even close.

the reason i like the manix so much though is that it's good for edc tasks and can be pushed into harder use without being too much. plus, it fits my hand perfectly.

serrated salts are my go to for a backup knife/emergency blade to ride iwb. i will always have one there, even if it's all i'm carrying.

i have a lot of others that i carry for various reasons, but whatever i'm carrying has to be able to cover all the things i've stated above.

i don't really think of a specific knife for a specific purpose. i think of all knives in my collection in the terms of how they function for edc, emergencies, survival scenarios, and self-defense, and i prioritize them in that order. if i feel that the knife i want to carry is lacking in one or more of these areas, i usually carry multiples to make up for it.
How interesting! I specifically select knives for purposes, but I think that’s off the back of using them for particular tasks at work (like grafting vs chop and drop). At home my EDC knives get used for whatever comes up, but I specifically carry dragonflies IWB as they excel at day-to-day stuff along with whatever takes my fancy in my front pocket.
- Al

Dream knives -
shane1

Post by shane1 »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:10 pm
shane1 wrote:
It is a fantastic knife. If you like SE and you have a sharpmaker I wouldn’t hesitate. I’m going to buy one in PE as well - it’s that good 👍🏻
I have a sharp maker but little experience with serrated. Been brainwashed into thinking the serrated and combo is bad on the only real knife is plain.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

In a fit of Science-ing pique I decided to empirically test the cardboard slicing capabilities of a sample of my Spyderco knives (all freshly sharpened). Turns out the CTS204P Delica, the S110V Para 3 and the Cruwear Yojimbo with automatic launch deployment scales are by far and away the best in double thickness cardboard.

This glut of sciencing has raised more questions than it answered (in true sciencing fashion). Further faffing with knives is clearly in order.
Attachments
IMG_1052.jpeg
IMG_1051.jpeg
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

shane1 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:29 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:10 pm
shane1 wrote:
I have a sharp maker but little experience with serrated. Been brainwashed into thinking the serrated and combo is bad on the only real knife is plain.
Serrated is excellent for some things (like cutting grass from around plants or carving through rope rapidly), but less so for other things 🤷🏼‍♂️ I recommend you try it and see how you get on, but don’t be put off by it - it’s a piece of cake to sharpen with a sharpmaker 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
vivi

Post by vivi »

For cardboard it's all about a thin PE edge and a large comfy handle.

The edge can be polished or coarse as long as the user understands the cutting technique required to get the most out of the edge finish.

The Chief does pretty well, especially when the edge is thinned a bit. My M4 handled some large, thick boxes with ease.
vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:07 pm
You know those thick cardboard bins 3 corrugated layers deep they ship pumpkins in? Broke down a few of those today with my Chief that we had in our back lot from a recent pumpkin carving competition.

Still scrape shaves despite using a pretty coarse finish and dulling it some since sharpening it.
Would have preferred my C95 Manix handle for the job, but the Chief did well.

As far as your question about knives that fill certain roles the best for me....

Pacific Salt / Stretch XL - Summer IWB carry. Being a salt is key for this role, as is being lightweight. I'll keep one of these clipped IWB for mountain trail runs, kayaking, rock climbing and other active tasks.

In hand comfort - C95 Manix, Manix XL as a second best. These handles fill my grip better than the Police, Pacific Salt, Chief, etc. If I expect to be doing a lot of cutting, or heavier cutting, this is the folder I'd choose.

Max edge length (For Spyderco) - Resilience and Police are what I think of if I want the longest blade I can get in a folder from Spyderco. The upcoming Catcherman will join their ranks whenever it comes out.

Fixed EDC - Street Beat, nothing else from Spyderco has come close to dethroning it for this role. Either version is fine by me.

Fixed utility - Aqua Salt. Like the Street Beat, this knife is holding this role down air tight. Light, good all arounder blade length, rust proof, extremely tough, very secure grip - it's a nice combination of attributes, and pairs nicely in the outdoors with a hatchet.

RFP carry comfort - Chief. This is the knife I pick if I know I'll be carrying in my right front pocket and I want to prioritize in pocket comfort.

Edge Retention king - Police K390 with a coarse edge. It has the best edge holding in my spyderco line-up.

Pocket machete - If I'm hiking some seldomly used trails and think I might need to do some light chopping with a folder, from my Spydercos I'd choose a Manix XL. It goes through briars well and the deep guard helps protect them from hitting my hand.

Folding chef knife - Resilience due to the blade length and minimal guard. The Manix XL blade shape works a little better, but the length leaves something to be desired.

Letter opener - My spin with a 5,000 grit edge works great here. Bit more nimble than my 4" folders with coarse edges.
:unicorn
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:01 pm
For cardboard it's all about a thin PE edge and a large comfy handle.

The edge can be polished or coarse as long as the user understands the cutting technique required to get the most out of the edge finish.

The Chief does pretty well, especially when the edge is thinned a bit. My M4 handled some large, thick boxes with ease.
vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:07 pm
You know those thick cardboard bins 3 corrugated layers deep they ship pumpkins in? Broke down a few of those today with my Chief that we had in our back lot from a recent pumpkin carving competition.

Still scrape shaves despite using a pretty coarse finish and dulling it some since sharpening it.
Would have preferred my C95 Manix handle for the job, but the Chief did well.

As far as your question about knives that fill certain roles the best for me....

Pacific Salt / Stretch XL - Summer IWB carry. Being a salt is key for this role, as is being lightweight. I'll keep one of these clipped IWB for mountain trail runs, kayaking, rock climbing and other active tasks.

In hand comfort - C95 Manix, Manix XL as a second best. These handles fill my grip better than the Police, Pacific Salt, Chief, etc. If I expect to be doing a lot of cutting, or heavier cutting, this is the folder I'd choose.

Max edge length (For Spyderco) - Resilience and Police are what I think of if I want the longest blade I can get in a folder from Spyderco. The upcoming Catcherman will join their ranks whenever it comes out.

Fixed EDC - Street Beat, nothing else from Spyderco has come close to dethroning it for this role. Either version is fine by me.

Fixed utility - Aqua Salt. Like the Street Beat, this knife is holding this role down air tight. Light, good all arounder blade length, rust proof, extremely tough, very secure grip - it's a nice combination of attributes, and pairs nicely in the outdoors with a hatchet.

RFP carry comfort - Chief. This is the knife I pick if I know I'll be carrying in my right front pocket and I want to prioritize in pocket comfort.

Edge Retention king - Police K390 with a coarse edge. It has the best edge holding in my spyderco line-up.

Pocket machete - If I'm hiking some seldomly used trails and think I might need to do some light chopping with a folder, from my Spydercos I'd choose a Manix XL. It goes through briars well and the deep guard helps protect them from hitting my hand.

Folding chef knife - Resilience due to the blade length and minimal guard. The Manix XL blade shape works a little better, but the length leaves something to be desired.

Letter opener - My spin with a 5,000 grit edge works great here. Bit more nimble than my 4" folders with coarse edges.
I meant to DM you yesterday! I saw a brand of Swiss hot chocolate in Zurich airport called Vivi in an enormous bag (possibly sized for your hands?). Went to take a photo but my kids had wandered off and had to chase them down.

Anyhow, back to knives. I rock climb a lot but have yet to find a way to carry a knife IWB with a harness on that doesn’t get stuck inside my clothes or dig into me. Where abouts are you wearing yours in when you climb? I’d pretty much given up and just keep a junk climbing brand knife on a karabiner on the back of my harness with some ab tat, but it gets scratched to all **** when I’m climbing chimneys or wide cracks.
- Al

Dream knives -
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Cardboard Destroyers!!! 💪

The Lil’ Temperance is better than I thought it would be but the Delica wharnie is King!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Best for cardboard - K390 Endela Wharncliffe (Delica too but handle a bit small)
Best in waistband - UKPK S110V
Best all rounder - PM2 S90V or Cruwear
Best peace of mind outdoors - Military
Best at peeling lychees - Dragonfly H1 SE

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
kobold

Post by kobold »

I think maybe the Centofante. But any hollow ground and sheepfoot/wharnie, like the Swayback would be good. I was very happy even with the Caribbean sheepfoot SE, with the Maxamet Sage and with the Chaparral.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Cant complain cutting cardboard with any of my spydies.
But the one that i use the most is my good old c95 and it is and always has bin a pleasuer doing the task with it. My 15v Shaman does it really good aswel do i have better slicers in my collection sure but for me personally its more about the handle then the blade in such more time consuming tasks. Since in the end all spydies are natural apex predators for cardboard and all other stuff...
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Cardboard - CutleryShoppe PM2 wharnie
Weeds and tall grass - Enuff Salt wharnie
EDC - Endela or Native 5
Work around the house - Manix 2 or Domino
Discreet carry - Manbug or Dragonfly
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:39 pm
Best for cardboard - K390 Endela Wharncliffe (Delica too but handle a bit small)
Best in waistband - UKPK S110V
Best all rounder - PM2 S90V or Cruwear
Best peace of mind outdoors - Military
Best at peeling lychees - Dragonfly H1 SE

First of all your Dfly is DOPE!!! and I’m gonna have to try out that Endela wharnie 🤔
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

shane1 wrote:

Hey, Shane.
I have both. Over the past few months, I've been intentionally trying to figure out whether PE or SE is best.

The plain edge is far better for culinary tasks. It's also better for doing more precise cutting, shaving, and whittling.

The serrated edge is like adding more "cut" to your blade. It's better for everyday hacking tasks, whether it's in the garden, opening boxes from Knife Center that contain more knives, or opening gaw-dawfle plastic packaging. Despite being a former plain edge fan, I'm slowly "transitioning" to serrated edges.

Is the Police 4 K390 SE one of the discontinued models? If it is and you're curious, you might want to bag one now while dealers are blowing them out at low prices.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:52 pm
shane1 wrote:

Hey, Shane.
I have both. Over the past few months, I've been intentionally trying to figure out whether PE or SE is best.

The plain edge is far better for culinary tasks. It's also better for doing more precise cutting, shaving, and whittling.

The serrated edge is like adding more "cut" to your blade. It's better for everyday hacking tasks, whether it's in the garden, opening boxes from Knife Center that contain more knives, or opening gaw-dawfle plastic packaging. Despite being a former plain edge fan, I'm slowly "transitioning" to serrated edges.

Is the Police 4 K390 SE one of the discontinued models? If it is and you're curious, you might want to bag one now while dealers are blowing them out at low prices.
The dealer blowout is exactly the reason I picked the SE one up first - it was a ludicrous good deal.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

@Shane1 - I might be so gauche as to suggest it’s like a pocket chainsaw 😏
- Al

Dream knives -
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like my Shaman a lot for cardboard, because of the nice contoured handles. Definitely a little thick, though.

I think my Opinel #8 is my favorite cardboard knife, because it's got the thinnest bladestock of any knife I own. For a similar reason, the Dragonfly is a beast.

The Military is pretty good, too, as is the Stretch 2 XL, both owing to their long, thin blades and large, comfortable handles. While we're at it, the Mule Team works real good, too.
Last edited by kennethsime on Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.