New Sprint Run Hopefuls to Consider

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

New Sprint Run Hopefuls to Consider

Post by JD Spydo »

Well after having "twinboysdad" mention the old LAVA model on a current thread that really got me to thinking. That LAVA model was a really popular model here on the Forum at that time and for a short time was highly sought after it's release. So that gives me 3 great older models that were cult classics back in the day and I do think that all 3 of them have potential for possible Sprint Runs..

The older models I'm talking about are the LAVA model, The G-10 handled HARPY and the C-56 Zowada. All 3 of these models had very dedicated fan bases and are very pricey on the current auction sites and trade sites. The G-10 HARPY is one that used to be requested for many years after it was discontinued. The G-10 Harpy was probably the most requested discontinued model that I can remember. The LAVA ( A great design from Chad Los Banos) was really popular here on the Forum and was many people's favorite small blade model. Along with the C-56 Zowada model that is nearly impossible to find in aftermarket sales. The C-56 Zowada was just gorgeous when they did a Sprint Run with an elegant Carbon Fiber handle back around 2011 I think it was.

For years I've wondered how nice a LAVA model would also be in full SE. The C-56 Zowada was a great blade even in Combo Edge. And for devout Hawkbill fans a G-10 HARPY would be really cool as a collector piece as well as a great hard use blade.
yablanowitz

Re: New Sprint Run Hopefuls to Consider

Post by yablanowitz »

Since Chad used the Lava and Spyderco as a stepping stone to hook up with Boker, I doubt we'll be seeing a Lava Sprint.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

What's a Zowada?
- Richard
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

How about A.T.R., Chinook, and Tatanka in AEB-L steel instead of the standard S30V? Great toughness so an acute edge can be put on them plus enough corrosion resistance to keep rust off unless you are working on/in the water every day. Couple of power locks and a compression lock to make things fun. Medium, Large, and XXL sizes based upon my sizing criteria.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96007&start=20
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd be all about a tatanka re-issue. I didn't develop an interest in folders that large & heavy until last year and I'm kicking myself for never grabbing one while they were current.

I'm gonna keep pushing for a C95 Manix sprint. I think it'd do well and people would enjoy using it.

Still like the idea of a Street Beat sprint. My choice would be dark green FRN and M4. Micsrta like the OG would be nice but we'd probably be looking at a $250-300 street price VS something closer to $150.

Would be interested in a Forester sprint in something like 4V, but it needs to come ground with a more practical edge bevel. The original was so thick at the edge, it really limited the
out of box performance. Really fun design otherwise that I could see myself putting to work for trail clearing - something I've been doing multiple times a week the past month and a half. I've been creating my own personal system of running trails.

Lastly, a Yojimbo 1 re-run would be neat, especially with a more modernized clip design. No disrespect to the Yojimbo 2 (or manix xl for that matter), but the originals offered something a little different. Better for for my hands at least.
Last edited by vivi on Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:10 am
What's a Zowada?

CF Sprint Run from a few years back.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I will keep tooting my horn for a Des Horn sprint! And a new DH design.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:38 pm
riclaw wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:10 am
What's a Zowada?
CF Sprint Run from a few years back.
Thanks!
- Richard
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm with you on the Harpy joe. Those are very good knives and well built. On the other hand I'd like a modern Merlin as well in FRN with a good steel.

Vivi has brought up a C95 sprint more than once and I have to agree with him. They would probably be expensive now but with a nice tough tool steel ( one also with decent corrosion resistance) it would be worth the price.

The Renegade, Caly jr ( FRN) and Jess Horn lightweight are worth looking into. I loved those so much when the ZDP models came out I bought something like 5 each . They were lightweight, inexpensive and very high performing and would probably still be well regarded.

Good thread as usual Joe!..
vivi

Post by vivi »

Those ZDP Caly jr's were really cheap considering the steel used. I want to say I paid about $70-75 for mine back when they were current.
:unicorn
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Like Vivi I really want to see an Original like C95 sprint.
Besides that i really wish a Slysz Bowie sprint.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I’d love to see the ATR come back in a Magnacut sprint run.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kriezek wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:00 am
How about A.T.R., Chinook, and Tatanka in AEB-L steel instead of the standard S30V? Great toughness so an acute edge can be put on them plus enough corrosion resistance to keep rust off unless you are working on/in the water every day. Couple of power locks and a compression lock to make things fun. Medium, Large, and XXL sizes based upon my sizing criteria.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96007&start=20
I must admit that those are 3 really excellent selections. I've wondered how well a Tatanka would work in full SE. And I've always had the utmost respect for the CHINOOK models and especially the CHINOOK III. I do think they had production problems with the Titanium ATR and unfortunately that would be the one I would lobby for.

But those are some excellent considerations.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:10 pm
Those ZDP Caly jr's were really cheap considering the steel used. I want to say I paid about $70-75 for mine back when they were current.
The Burgundy ZDP189 Caly Jr. is one of my fondest Sprint Runs ever. And yes I do remember some of them going for really great prices too. I think the year was 2005 if my memory serves me well.

I'm now wondering how the Zowada model would be like with ZDP-189?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm guessing the recently identified 'Top Spyderco Cult Classics' would be prime fodder for sprints...

Attachments
Q1.png
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A Stretch 1 sprint would be great - I won´t go into details again why this model is so good and what it offers that the Stretch 2 does not (the "2" offers other nice features instead of course) - those who know, know ;)

But I think I can recall in one of the threads I started about the Stretch 1 Sal said the molds for the FRN handle don´t exist anymore. So this pretty much rules out an FRN sprint I guess, but perhaps there is a chance for the G10 version.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:26 pm
I'm guessing the recently identified 'Top Spyderco Cult Classics' would be prime fodder for sprints...
Bolster there are a few models that I dearly love on your "Cult List". I would even drool for a Slysz Bowie with the right blade steel. That Slysz Bowie model with a Supersteel blade and maybe a different handle material would be a home run IMO.

I also like the possibility of a full SE Dodo, big C-54 Calypso, a high tech version of the Catcherman in full SE and a Caly Jr. with an exotic blade steel. But again I do think that Slysz Bowie would be a big winner for sure. Also I would want the big C-54 Calypso in SE & PE both just like they did with the C-60 Ayoob.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

But for many years there were several people wanting to see the return of the G-10 Harpy. The G-10 Harpy makes so much sense from a hard use standpoint. How the G-10 Harpy didn't catch fire the first time around is totally beyond me. It was more than a novelty it was an extremely useful tool. I liked the G-10 Harpy 5 times better than I ever liked the stainless version.

I think Yablanowitz is 100% correct about the LAVA model unfortunately. For years I would have loved to have tried the LAVA in full SE. But hey it didn't hurt to ask. But I would take a full SE version of the Dodo in it's place instead.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The C95 would be a winner for me and would be worth the price . Really doubt the ATR will be back on the table .I have two love them but sales killed the model . We are really at the point now where a hard decision among members should be made with some kind of consensus , probably the most difficult part of project. Definitely need to factor in the expense Spyderco will absorb to undertake such a project. Molds , steels , and QCI all drive costs , so we really need to be realistic and above all accept the possibility of a no go .MG2
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Love how this is almost a bi-monthly thread at this point! :grin-squint

How about another sprint run of Spyderco’s greatest knife ever made that not enough people know about?

The Perrin PPT?

PPT in Grey G10 and Cruwear? In a heartbeat! :smiling-heart-eyes
PPT in Micarta and Cruwear? Absolutely! :star-struck
Literally ANYTHING to do with the PPT? I’LL TAKE IT! :party-face
-Nick :bug-red