Herbal Teas

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Herbal Teas

Post by JD Spydo »

In the past 3 years I've been looking for natural type remedies to hopefully promote better health. With the past pandemic we've had to fight I've been checking out different types of healthy supplements. Now that I've hit the big age of 70 I'm really getting more picky about what I eat and drink. About 4 years ago a nice lady friend of mine turned me onto a very interesting herbal tea from South Africa. It is known as "Rooibos Tea". It is harvested near the Cape of Good Hope in the lower part of the country of South Africa. Rooibos tea is loaded with a lot of beneficial trace minerals. The Rooibos tea has some most interesting properties and has a reputation as a really healthy drink as well as being a really tasty drink. The real stuff from South Africa is kind of hard to find and I buy most of my herbal teas at local health food stores.

But I've gone beyond just the Rooibos tea and have tried a large selection of different herbal teas with some most interesting results. Some of the other herbal teas I have tried are Dandelion Root, Turmeric, Ginger, Reishi Mushroom, Nettle Leaf, Green Tea with Elderberry and a few others. Several of them I find really delicious with a bit of wildflower honey added. I find herbal teas to be really refreshing as well as a healthy dietary supplement.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has dabbled with herbal teas? If you have tell us which ones you find to be good.
Also I've found quite a few different white and green teas as well. There are dozens of different herbal teas on the market so I will be interested to hear which ones many of you have tried?
Naperville

Re: Herbal Teas

Post by Naperville »

At 63, I am always about longevity. I even started a thread in off topic on my longevity journey. My goal is to be able to take care of myself at 100, while living alone.

I am a member here:
https://www.rapamycin.news/

My longevity thread where you can see what supplements I take and join in the conversation:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94707

I follow dozen of longevity experts on Twitter, and read many documents every week regarding longevity. I modify my regimen all of the time.

Your best bet is 2 to 3 cups of coffee per day, 2 to 3 cups of Lipton black tea per day, and 2 to 3 cups of Lipton Green Tea with Ginseng per day to maximize polyphenols and catechins.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:32 pm
At 63, I am always about longevity. I even started a thread in off topic on my longevity journey. My goal is to be able to take care of myself at 100, while living alone.

I am a member here:

My longevity thread where you can see what supplements I take and join in the conversation:

I follow dozen of longevity experts on Twitter, and read many documents every week regarding longevity. I modify my regimen all of the time.

Your best bet is 2 to 3 cups of coffee per day, 2 to 3 cups of Lipton black tea per day, and 2 to 3 cups of Lipton Green Tea with Ginseng per day to maximize polyphenols and catechins.
Thank you so much Naperville. I'm much aware of the super benefits of the herb ginseng. And I actually love the taste of Ginseng Tea. We had an herb shop here in Kansas City, Mo called "The House of Hezekiah" and they had the actual ginseng roots for sale from China and other parts of the orient. The Chinese RED was in particular really good and produced a lot of energy.

And at age 70 I'm also getting interested in longevity myself. I hope to be playing with Spyderco blades when I'm in my mid 90s. But Sir do try the Rooibos Tea. And get one of the better brands like "Republic Of Tea" or from one of the South African vendors that are found in a few health food stores. It's loaded with valuable trace minerals which are vital for overall health. I recently had a very smart Doctor tell me that most people here in the USA are very much mineral deficient. Without vital minerals the body can't operate efficiently.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:07 am
Naperville wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:32 pm

I am a member here:

Thank you so much Naperville. I'm much aware of the super benefits of the herb ginseng. And I actually love the taste of Ginseng Tea. We had an herb shop here in Kansas City, Mo called "The House of Hezekiah" and they had the actual ginseng roots for sale from China and other parts of the orient. The Chinese RED was in particular really good and produced a lot of energy.

And at age 70 I'm also getting interested in longevity myself. I hope to be playing with Spyderco blades when I'm in my mid 90s. But Sir do try the Rooibos Tea. And get one of the better brands like "Republic Of Tea" or from one of the South African vendors that are found in a few health food stores. It's loaded with valuable trace minerals which are vital for overall health. I recently had a very smart Doctor tell me that most people here in the USA are very much mineral deficient. Without vital minerals the body can't operate efficiently.
Back when I lived in Chicago, I was close to Chinatown and I used to go into the shops to see what they had for sale. I became a regular in Chinatown and walked there 3x a week.

Lots of Ginseng root displays. It must not be very tricky to use to make tea. I should have dove in and bought some, but to be honest with you, I do not speak Chinese and am not Chinese so I did not know what I was buying and the differences between one display and another. I did buy other prepared Chinese foods, and even Chinese medicine(teas).

Like they say, "you're only ignorant if you fail to ask" and I never bothered anyone. I used to hang out with the Chinese guys at the tattoo shop too.

There are Chinese food stores here in my new town of Naperville too. Haven't been in one lately. I guess it is time to finally get some ginseng root and prepare it!

I'll try the Rooibos Tea, I promise!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Not herbal, per se, but I drink green tea daily.

It is said to be full of powerful antioxidants.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanks for all the 411 fellas!
Great thread 😎
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My daughter (14) wants some green tea and Chia?
Anyways, I bought her some Bigelow and Twinings
I'm gonna try some Earl Gray/Grey from Twinings
Sorry ismf anything is misspelled
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Yes, I dabble in herbals.

Favorite is a turmeric-ginger blend, drink it daily. I also like a rooibos. Trader Joes occasionally has a pumpkin spice rooibos that's good.

For flavor, what would you (JD) recommend?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:43 pm
Yes, I dabble in herbals.

Favorite is a turmeric-ginger blend, drink it daily. I also like a rooibos. Trader Joes occasionally has a pumpkin spice rooibos that's good.

For flavor, what would you (JD) recommend?
Yes Sir!! Rooibos is one of my favorites to be sure. But you've got to really watch it though because there is a lot of fake "Rooibos" out there on the market. I get all of mine from 2 different health food stores that I trust. You might add a little wildflower honey to your Rooibos. I find it sweetens it just enough to make it really pleasant to the senses.

We've got a Trader Joes here in Kansas City that I frequent>> and yes they seem to have good quality tea and coffee. I did try some of Trader Joe's Rooibos and it wasn't bad at all. But in the past 2 years I mainly get mine from a couple of health food stores that I really trust. Also I've taken some of the Bigelow Raspberry tea to flavor it at times. I love to experiment.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:50 pm
Not herbal, per se, but I drink green tea daily.

It is said to be full of powerful antioxidants.
I also drink a variety of Green Tea. I find that the one company "Republic Of Tea" really has some great selections of Green and White tea both. We also have a great tea store at the Crown Center mall here in Kansas City. They get their Green & White Tea directly from China and other parts of the far east.

The Chinese also have great Ginseng as well. I know that more people are drinking herbal teas because both stores I go to seem to sell out of stock quite a bit anymore. Now I do like my black coffee in the mornings and we have some great Mom & Pop" coffee shops here in Blue Springs, MO where I live. But I'm drinking far more herbal teas in the past 3 years or so.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Rooibos is a great tea. Its a standard around here in Europe. Also camille tea is very healthy and popular around here. ( dont know if its translates to english the same way )
Especially in the evening as it gives relaxing effect.
Windward

Post by Windward »

I drink 2 pretty regularly.

Ashwagandah befofe bed. Maybe its all in my head, but it helped me with my insomnia in ways pills couldnt. Supposed to be a stress releiver. Been provennto lower cortisol levels

I also drink tulsi (indian holy basil). Sometimes mixed with green tea. There are claims it lowers cholsterol, blood suger, protects organs, lowers stress, immunity booster, and a list of a million things. Some of it is a stretch. But it has been clinically proven to do most of it to some degree, with no harmful impacts. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/bene ... holy-basil
the green tea version got me down from like 15 cups of coffee a day to like 5.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

We drink rooibos and chamomile teas, as far as herbal teas go. Back in my hippie freak days in the 70's I would also drink dandelion tea. I prefer regular tea, but I stay away from it because of my heart, but I love real tea.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Windward wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:47 am
I drink 2 pretty regularly.

Ashwagandah befofe bed. Maybe its all in my head, but it helped me with my insomnia in ways pills couldnt. Supposed to be a stress releiver. Been provennto lower cortisol levels

I also drink tulsi (indian holy basil). Sometimes mixed with green tea. There are claims it lowers cholsterol, blood suger, protects organs, lowers stress, immunity booster, and a list of a million things. Some of it is a stretch. But it has been clinically proven to do most of it to some degree, with no harmful impacts. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/bene ... holy-basil
the green tea version got me down from like 15 cups of coffee a day to like 5.
I thought I had heard of most of the teas from the herbal kingdom. But I've never ever heard of "Ashwagandad" tea before.
We do have an herb shop in Kansas City and I'll have to go check them out. Where does that herb come from do you know?

In the past year or so I've noticed that Bigelow ( a very popular mainline tea brand) now has a selection of green teas with various flavors and various herbs added. The two Green Bigelow teas I just bought have turmeric and pomegranate and I like the tastes of both of them. It takes the slight bitterness out of the taste.
Windward

Post by Windward »

Its the root of the ashwaganha shrub bush from india. I think it grows in NE africa and parts if the middle east too, but the stuff i get is indian. Sometimes ita called winter cherry.

I'll be honest (and excuse the pun), but the flavor and aroma arent everyones cup of tea. I really like it, but its different. My favorite is actually mixed with tulsi by organic india. It cuts the bitterness. Their tulsi green is also a favorite. There are other good ones mixed with all sort of things ive enjoyed too. https://shop.organicindiausa.com/produc ... 3989209337
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

As will anything, buyer beware.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Windward wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:28 am
Its the root of the ashwaganha shrub bush from india. I think it grows in NE africa and parts if the middle east too, but the stuff i get is indian. Sometimes ita called winter cherry.

I'll be honest (and excuse the pun), but the flavor and aroma arent everyones cup of tea. I really like it, but its different. My favorite is actually mixed with tulsi by organic india. It cuts the bitterness. Their tulsi green is also a favorite. There are other good ones mixed with all sort of things ive enjoyed too. https://shop.organicindiausa.com/produc ... 3989209337
I had heard a while back from a friend that the Asiatic Indians were indeed into some interesting herb teas. They also drink a lot of regular tea as well. And it seems like our Brothers from India are more health conscious than people from other parts of the globe.

I will definitely check out this "aswaganda" tea the next trip to the health food store. It was by accident that I discovered "Rooibos" tea. But ever since I drank my first cup I've been hooked ever since. But again you must be careful where you get your "Rooibos" tea at because there are a lot of low quality brands and there are some fake Rooibos teas as well. Just make absolutely sure that it comes from that part of South Africa. Because as far as I know that's the only place on the planet it grows.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I took a look in the cupboard and I had "Instant Korean Panax Ginseng Tea" from co Price of Peace. The ginseng is an extract and when you pour it out of the packet there are many granules.

https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Peace-Ins ... TL49E?th=1

I hardly noticed a flavor with 8oz of water, so I just made one with 2 packets.

GOOGLE SAYS: "Panax ginseng is taken by mouth for memory and thinking skills, Alzheimer disease, depression, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support many of these uses." Well, I have a case of the Bah-Humbugs so I need it bad! :squinting-tongue
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:14 am
I took a look in the cupboard and I had "Instant Korean Panax Ginseng Tea" from co Price of Peace. The ginseng is an extract and when you pour it out of the packet there are many granules.

GOOGLE SAYS: "Panax ginseng is taken by mouth for memory and thinking skills, Alzheimer disease, depression, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support many of these uses." Well, I have a case of the Bah-Humbugs so I need it bad! :squinting-tongue
Years ago I had a local health food store where I got some of that Panax Ginseng. I liked the Chinese Red Ginseng better. But I did think that the Panax Ginseng made a really great tasting tea. Now that is if you happen to like the taste of ginseng. Many people don't like the taste of Ginseng, but I sure do.

I think that they give the various Ginseng plants their names based on the geographical location from where it is harvested at. Because I find the overall effects of most Ginseng plants to be very similar. Oh there are for sure some differences in the properties of the ginseng plants. But overall I don't think you can go wrong using ginseng.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:15 am
Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:14 am

Years ago I had a local health food store where I got some of that Panax Ginseng. I liked the Chinese Red Ginseng better. But I did think that the Panax Ginseng made a really great tasting tea. Now that is if you happen to like the taste of ginseng. Many people don't like the taste of Ginseng, but I sure do.

I think that they give the various Ginseng plants their names based on the geographical location from where it is harvested at. Because I find the overall effects of most Ginseng plants to be very similar. Oh there are for sure some differences in the properties of the ginseng plants. But overall I don't think you can go wrong using ginseng.
I had one cup of hot water with one packet of the panax ginseng and waited a bit, say 30 minutes. Then had the bright idea of having another cup with 2 packets.

I don't want to say I was drugged.... :woozy but I felt so wide awake and happy, then CRASH! :squinting-tongue

I went back to bed for a 2hr nap and slept it off. I was so tired.