2023 - Did your preferences change or stay the same?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: 2023 - Did your preferences change or stay the same?

Post by vivi »

brancron wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:39 am
Over the last couple years (and last year especially) my preference has been towards larger knives, especially larger folders with clips. But I still like them light! I used to think the Military was too big but for some reason it's perfect for me now (and the PM2 seems a little squashed in comparison). I still like small slipjoints though, which I usually carry in suit pants or slacks at work.
If you haven't tried the Police Lightweight, sounds like it could be a winner for you.
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:45 am
They’ve stayed the same all year. Temperance’s for hard use fixed blades, kopas calys and calypso’s for edc folder carry
Oof, might be time to consider tracking down a Province, Aqua Salt or something else a little beefier.
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:52 am
One thing I feel like a lot of people overlook with deep carry clips is how they affect in hand ergonomics. Maybe the people buying them prioritize that less than me, but I've handled a few spydies with lynch clips and felt like the in hand feel took a dramatic hit for the worse. Having handled a few spydercos with aftermarket clips, or folders from other brands in general, I can tell spyderco puts a lot of thought into how the clip feels while using the knife. Something I really appreciate.
I agree. Many moons ago when the Lynch clips were released I was on a "deep carry everything" spree. At the time I could still carry any Spydie to work, so I prioritised the low profile carry over ergonomics. Over time I went back to the OEM clips for everything except the Native 5 G10. It is perhaps the only model I found to feel better in hand with a deep carry clip. I love the OEM deep carry wire clip though.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:13 am
I went way smaller. I detest scratching my cars with pocket clips so I have basically gone Dfly or Manbug with lanyard in the pocket
I've been carrying my knife and flashlight IWB/AIWB for 10+ years now.

Really helps prevent scratching cars, and also it's more secure - much less likely for the tool to fall out IWB then get ejected from the pocket.

Might be worth a try?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

My main folders for the past 2 years have been the Kris, military, autonomy 2, and yojumbo. SE H1 spyderhawk has essentially been carried every day for about 14 or 15 years now. My preferences have remained the same. Unfortunately I don't use fixed blades much right now but I carry the Respect most weekends.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I've started carrying a lot smaller when I'm just running around town or anytime I know I'll likely not need a knife. Picked up a Lil Native and Cat on sale in the first half of 2023 and have really enjoyed both as very capable little knives.

Cat especially was a delightful surprise hit for me. It's basically a Mini Sage 1. Reasonably priced, BD1N while not exotic has been a joy to play around with, and I actually love the lack of jimping. All around winner for me.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

My preferences have pretty much calcified over the years for a primary folder:

3.5-4" blade with Pointy tip

Tip Down carry (a must for AIWB carry)

G10 handle preferred

Unobstructed Spyder hole (ie hole not at all covered by handle)

--> I've only regularly EDC'd the Massad Ayoob, Endura, or Military the last ~10 years, as these are the models that check off all those specs for me.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Preferences stayed the same. I like larger folders like pm2, shaman etc. What has changed drastically for me is my spending on knives. I bought two 15v knives and a waterway in 2023. Normally I'd buy 6-12 in a year. Prices have just gotten too high to justify.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Same. I still like and carry the Wharnie Delicas the most, followed closely by the leaf Delicas and Endelas. Still love Seki FRN models. Still love Cruwear. Still want some 3V folders. Still love Micarta. Still want them to Cru-carta them all, ESPECIALLY the Seki models. Still want a Dodo-fly.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:40 am
Preferences stayed the same. I like larger folders like pm2, shaman etc. What has changed drastically for me is my spending on knives. I bought two 15v knives and a waterway in 2023. Normally I'd buy 6-12 in a year. Prices have just gotten too high to justify.

How do you like the Waterway?

I am really enjoying mine, though it has small cons (carries high, blade not perfectly suited, but also not designed for really "brutal" fixed blade work (but this is exactly why it is so good in knife tasks))

Anyway, shoutout to the disco´ed Waterway as long as it can be found ! (I think for example here https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-wat ... alt-series in the US and here https://www.com2you-biwak.de/Spyderco-F ... -G-10.html in Europe)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:54 am
brancron wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:39 am
Over the last couple years (and last year especially) my preference has been towards larger knives, especially larger folders with clips. But I still like them light! I used to think the Military was too big but for some reason it's perfect for me now (and the PM2 seems a little squashed in comparison). I still like small slipjoints though, which I usually carry in suit pants or slacks at work.
If you haven't tried the Police Lightweight, sounds like it could be a winner for you.
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:45 am
They’ve stayed the same all year. Temperance’s for hard use fixed blades, kopas calys and calypso’s for edc folder carry
Oof, might be time to consider tracking down a Province, Aqua Salt or something else a little beefier.
I think the temp is a bigger and beefier knife than the aqua salt. 4mm stock vs 3, stouter blade and handle. Province does look cool. But if anything after my accident I’ll eventually hunt down another temp and just not abuse it the way I did. The temp certainly can baton through wood, but a wet, live tree against the grain was pushing it for that knife. In that case a much bigger knife with a better steel, or an ax would be better suited for that job. Thank you for the recommendations
:bug-red-white
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

My lock preference has changed, but it was more due to necessity than anything else. I had always been a fan of the backlock, but I took a 400 mile bicycle trip on which I compressed nerves in both my hands. I had reduced strength and numbness for a couple months in both hands and was unable to easily unlock the delica that I was carrying at the time. The compression lock was not a problem and ended up favoring knives with that lock.

Size, carry orientation, and steel preferences haven't changed much for me.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I used to dislike short knives and coatings on steel, the the blade HQ M4 black coated Delica changed my mind. Now I wonder why coatings aren’t the default option for tool steel blades.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:37 am
My comment was not on what you like for yourself - again, I totally do understand "people not concerned with weight".
I also totally understand people who carry folders solely for sd, like you, despite I never do.

It was about you saying that you don´t have understanding for people who might have other needs or preferences than you.

It is also not about "knife weight in relation to body weight".

Just like folks in some cases might prefer S90V over VG10, or the feel of a smooth scale over a rough one iwb, low weight can be nice in some scenarios, for example:

- In floppy, light garment pockets (iwb not being a good alternative, since for example untucked shirt and other layers make it harder to get to and put back the knife) - especially when being active.
- In light zippered pockets, where the folder gets carried loose and unclipped: Nicer if it is light, also tends not to make holes in the pocket as much over time
- In mountaineering and ultralight hiking: Every more or less serious mountaineer will keep the carry load light (more important when covering a lot of vertical distance than on flat hikes, especially in technically demanding terrain) and choose gear accordingly.
Admittedly my folder is probably the LAST item I consider then, but still it is nice if it is as light as possible while still offering the needed capability.
- And then there is just the appreciation for the amazing knife designing that is necessary to invent and built a folder that is robust and capable, but still very light. Imo a lot harder to do and more fascinating than just using a heavy construction.

No offense meant, btw.! For me there is just a difference between: "I can´t imagine being ever in a scenario where I´d want feature xy" and "I don´t understand people who ARE in those scenarios and thus DO like feature xy".
No offense taken.

I guess when I buy the new Spyderco Native Chief in Magnacut it will be lighter. I'm looking forward to the knife! Will report back.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:40 am
Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:57 pm
- I was never concerned with weight, and I don't understand people concerned with weight.
Depends on my outfit and activity. If I'm wearing my truspec cargo pants and a thick gun belt and standing around during a graveyard security shift, I don't mind a heavy knife.

If it's summer and I'm in running shorts and I have the day off, I don't want to pack an 8oz folder and feel it bouncing around while I go for runs, play disc golf, hike, etc.

How much stuff you carry matters too. If I'm packing light I have a car key, lightweight wallet, 2.5-4.5oz folder and a phone. Other days I'll add a 5" flashlight, a gun and spare mags, a pocket multitool, a full sized multitool, a second work phone, etc. so ounces quickly turn into pounds.

I weigh a lean 220 but I still notice the difference between a 4oz folder and 6oz folder, or a 19lb road bike and a 25lb road bike, or boots vs trail runners vs barefoot style shoes. External weight carries differently than internal.
I can see a heavy knife being a problem with running shorts. I did not think of that use case.

Given my ailments plus the fact that I had 3 COVID vaccine shots I do not think I'll be running anytime soon. I did run in the post operation heart recovery class that I took, but there were nurses around. I am a bit afraid to run with so many sudden deaths and nobody knowing what is causing it.

If I was in the military every ounce would count and I would pack light.

I do not plan to bug out if anything happens. I do not own any titanium food prep gear. Yet a lighter knife does make sense if I had to hump it out of here on foot.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

PanChango wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:20 am
My lock preference has changed, but it was more due to necessity than anything else. I had always been a fan of the backlock, but I took a 400 mile bicycle trip on which I compressed nerves in both my hands. I had reduced strength and numbness for a couple months in both hands and was unable to easily unlock the delica that I was carrying at the time. The compression lock was not a problem and ended up favoring knives with that lock.

That's one of the reasons I've kept a Military in the collection all these years. When my hand is injured it's a pretty easy knife to operate.
:unicorn
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Over this year I have gotten quite a bit fonder of folders, mostly because I bought an Endura last year. Up to that point I mostly preferred fixed blades, even though pocket knives got carried more do to the public view of carrying a fixed blade. To me folding knives were mostly a compromise to satisfy ignorant law making, or the ignorant public, so I had no particular love for them. Since getting an Endura I have found it so capable, convenient, and light that I have begun grabbing it when I would have usually grabbed a my Mora or Izula. I have recently moved to a smaller town that isn't at all worried by the sight of my Tops Fieldcraft on my belt, but I still find myself forgoing the sheath knife a lot lately.

That said, after a year of mostly getting acquainted with my Endura, I am back on the hunt for my ideal EDC fixed blade, as well the best way to carry one.

Also kitchen knives went from the least interesting to the most interesting knife type I use.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Albertaboyscott

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:59 am
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:40 am
Really like the waterway so far. I may add some jimping but other than that no complaints. I like that the sheath rides high. This will be my dedicated fishing knife so will be sitting a lot while carrying. Love the blade shape. My gf said it looked scary when she first saw it. I gave to her to cut up some veggies etc. Now it "looks cool"

How do you like the Waterway?

I am really enjoying mine, though it has small cons (carries high, blade not perfectly suited, but also not designed for really "brutal" fixed blade work (but this is exactly why it is so good in knife tasks))

Anyway, shoutout to the disco´ed Waterway as long as it can be found ! (I think for example here https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-wat ... alt-series in the US and here https://www.com2you-biwak.de/Spyderco-F ... -G-10.html in Europe)
Albertaboyscott

Oops. Not sure what I did there
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

I have always liked large knives, because I have big hands. The only exception is carrying a sheath knife in my pocket, in which case I’d like a large (long) handle and a small blade.
I suppose my all-time favorite would be the military model which to me is the iconic Spyderco knife. I suppose I ignore knife laws. If they want to throw 72 year old man in jail for carrying a large knife, fine. In my father’s generation, every man carried a knife and had stories to tell about it. He had a genuine affection for the tool.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:42 pm
PanChango wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:20 am

That's one of the reasons I've kept a Military in the collection all these years. When my hand is injured it's a pretty easy knife to operate.
Same here. I remembered a month ago as it started to get colder and my Raynaud's hands set in, that backlocks are not the easiest for me when my hands are cold. Liner locks and frame locks seem to be the easiest, followed by the compression lock with a wide access to get your finger in. Sometimes it gets so bad, I could cut myself and not know it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005