Stretch XL Salt Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Stretch XL Salt Observations

Post by Bolster »

Noice job, V.

Is it possible to wet a Q-tip with dye and swab it onto just the logo pad, so you work just that one little area?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Excellent Vivi! Thanks for sharing.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thanks vivi for the explanation regarding IWB carry and POV dye session :)
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:31 pm
300 grit edge. Not pretty but it'll cut more like I'm used to.

The hollow grind on that blade shape makes for a very attractive design. I am eager to read your thoughts on H2 steel after years of using H1.
Just one more knife...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks guys!

I'll probably try heating up the dye and using a qtip to hit the logo pads if it bugs me. I'm happy with the color though - it was a toss-up between doing another rasta fade or going solid green. Glad I tried out Sage, I think this is the best shade I've gotten on a yellow salt yet.

H2 seems to be performing exactly like H1 so far. I need to use it and sharpen it some more to really be sure though.
:unicorn
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Handle color looks great! Very nice vivi
:bug-red-white
James Y

Post by James Y »

Cool thread and nice pics, vivi!

A couple questions:

How is the Stretch XL's hollow grind compared to the Pac.Salt's? Meaning, is it a slightly higher (and thereby slightly thinner) HG geometry?

Does the clip's contact point land fully on the logo, or does it land on the texturing and have a tendency to shred pocket material?

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:51 am

A couple questions:

How is the Stretch XL's hollow grind compared to the Pac.Salt's? Meaning, is it a slightly higher (and thereby slightly thinner) HG geometry?

Does the clip's contact point land fully on the logo, or does it land on the texturing and have a tendency to shred pocket material?

Jim
The hollow grind appears to be slightly higher and thinner than Pacific Salts. They're close overall but judging by eye I'd give the slicing edge to the Stretch. This is looking at the overall profile and ignoring the edge angle btw - if we compare the ~18 degree per side edge my Pacifics mostly came with to the ~12.5 Stretch edge angle, that tips things in favor of the Stretch even more.

I'll take a picture of the clip contact area next time I have a chance. I did not notice it hanging up on my pocket at all like I have with my Police lightweights, so even if the clip doesn't fully contact the smooth pad, it seems just fine during use.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:

A couple questions:

Jim
Jim check page 92 in my photo thread . I have 4 different pictures of XL showing clip on pad . No issues . Dan (MG2)
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:46 am
James Y wrote:

A couple questions:

Jim
The hollow grind appears to be slightly higher and thinner than Pacific Salts. They're close overall but judging by eye I'd give the slicing edge to the Stretch. This is looking at the overall profile and ignoring the edge angle btw - if we compare the ~18 degree per side edge my Pacifics mostly came with to the ~12.5 Stretch edge angle, that tips things in favor of the Stretch even more.

I'll take a picture of the clip contact area next time I have a chance. I did not notice it hanging up on my pocket at all like I have with my Police lightweights, so even if the clip doesn't fully contact the smooth pad, it seems just fine during use.

Thank you, vivi!
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Jim check page 92 in my photo thread . I have 4 different pictures of XL showing clip on pad . No issues . Dan (MG2)
[/quote]

Thank you, Dan!

Jim
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Mine arrived today and it's looking high quality. The factory edge is as nice as I've seen with Seki knives. It's surprising at first to pick up such a big knife and feel such light weight even with the thick spine.
Enipgm

Post by Enipgm »

How are the serrations on the SE version ?
Pointy ans toothy like a Pacific salt ? Or smooth like a ffg salt in lc200n ?

Looking at pictures it seems in between... :thinking

I had a Pacific salt and was a bit disappointed with those Big pointy ans snaggy tooth for an EDC use.

My vg10 Rockjumper has smoother serrations but the smoothest are the one on my Byrd Hawkbill.

Regards.
brj

Post by brj »

Got my Stretch XL. While I absolutely hate the mega(lodon) choil and hope it goes similarly extinct at some point ;) , I'm quite liking the rest of the package so to speak, particularly the fine point and the sabre hollow grind. Construction-wise there are some unseemly gaps between the scales and lock

but on the bright side there is minimal vertical play and no horizontal play whatsoever, and it's a compromise I can live with.

I've retired for now my OG/H1 Pac Salts, will see how H2 fares in my regular shorts IWB carry this coming summer.

SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

brj wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:28 pm
Got my Stretch XL. While I absolutely hate the mega(lodon) choil and hope it goes similarly extinct at some point ;) , I'm quite liking the rest of the package so to speak, particularly the fine point and the sabre hollow grind. Construction-wise there are some unseemly gaps between the scales and lock

but on the bright side there is minimal vertical play and no horizontal play whatsoever, and it's a compromise I can live with.

I've retired for now my OG/H1 Pac Salts, will see how H2 fares in my regular shorts IWB carry this coming summer.

Those display cases are Dope! 👏👊