2023 - Did your preferences change or stay the same?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopweaver

Re: 2023 - Did your preferences change or stay the same?

Post by Hopweaver »

The Kapara remains my primary EDC choice for the 3rd year in a row. So no change in preferences.
Features that make it a superior choice for me are:

1. The Spydie Hole. Best opening on the market.
2. Deep carry pocket clip. Since I work in an office setting, less knife showing above the pocket is best.
3. The blade is great for meal prep, which is its primary function.
4. The materials of construction are excellent: S30V blade is easy to sharpen, Carbon Fiber scales.
5. Only knock I have for the Kapara is the blade could be a little bigger. I've never found myself in a situation where I said 'Less blade length would be good'. How about a Kapara XL!
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Still the same for me

I'm not very picky
Favorite model is the one in my pocket that day
I prefer 3" blades for EDC but that's flexible up or down
I like all kinds of handle materials
I like a variety of lock types
I have all kinds of different steels but as long as I can get it sharp and it holds an edge reasonably long I'm good
Native 5 feels pretty much the same in FRN, G10 and Fluted CF or Fluted Ti. Meaning the blockiness on some models is a non-issue for me
I like models with thumb ramps or no thumb ramps
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

No real preference change from last year. I bought less knives in 2023 than any year since 2015.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I dis not want to share "my 2023 recap" and show everything that i bought. Both for my self esteem and not to seem like I boast 🤣.

But, by curiosity, i reunited a good percentage of what is new for me in 2023. Compared to previous years there's a lot more vintage long blades ( A.T.R. Ti, Hungarian, Chinook 1, GB1, Mantra 1).

There's also a higher presence of collaborations and Taichung models.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

My preferences have largely remained the same. I still prefer smaller knives and if anything I have grown to appreciate lighter knives.
GonzoRider

Post by GonzoRider »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:43 pm
Still the same for me

I'm not very picky
Favorite model is the one in my pocket that day
I prefer 3" blades for EDC but that's flexible up or down
I like all kinds of handle materials
I like a variety of lock types
I have all kinds of different steels but as long as I can get it sharp and it holds an edge reasonably long I'm good
Native 5 feels pretty much the same in FRN, G10 and Fluted CF or Fluted Ti. Meaning the blockiness on some models is a non-issue for me
I like models with thumb ramps or no thumb ramps
Thanks for typing out my post for me ;)
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

I’d probably say that it has not changed but that would be a lie. I still love 3 inch folders like the Native 5 and Sage however when looking at my purchases in 2023 and my recently carried knives over the last few months it looks like I may be gravitating toward larger folders like the shaman, pac salt and Caribbean . I would like to pick up one of the salty chiefs this year . Conversely I found that I really enjoy small fixed blades .
Just one more knife...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My promotion at work back in March was just as I expected...it led me to hardly use my knives anymore (I don't use them for food, I
use kitchen knives for that) so they became basically strictly for use around the house/outdoors. Very bitter sweet. A nice financial gain, but basically eliminated my most favorite hobby :-|| I looked back on all my photos earlier and really miss the days of 2020 or so when I would do a different knife weekly review on all the materials I would cut at work and post photos and details. I would love for that opportunity again, would really revive my love of the hobby!

All that said, I still had the itch for something so customizing with micarta or titanium scales, or buying a couple higher end, non Spyderco knives helped fill that void, for a taste of something new or different. You can only have so many knives in different colored G10 or FRN before it all seems the same, and waste of money in my eyes.

I did notice I gravitated towards my larger knives when I had the opportunity to use my knives at work (Military and Native Chief) Though the Manix will still remain my favorite.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
anycal

Post by anycal »

Last 12 months, I'd say using more small knives (Native 5, Sage), and less of the big knives (Military, Chief). Medium usage remained the same, with PM2, GB2, and Shaman domininating pocket time.
Peter
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

•The Stretch xl lw Salt like Vivi said dethroned my Pacific and moved into my top five.

•Ol’ Salty here got into tool steels and I absolutely love Cruwear/K390 and Maxamet now.

•Loving the different aftermarket scale options available these days too.

•Started dabbling in fixed blades a little and really have been enjoying it.

•Backlocks still rule!!!

•Holes over Studs.

•Spyderco is still KING!!! 👏👏👏
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

My carry preferences stayed the same (mainly seki salts, rockjumper, and Yo2s), but my buying/collecting habits changed a little. I'm done with scale swapping. I tried lots of aftermarket scales and none of them performed as well as Spyderco g10 and frn scales. I care about traction, secure grip, and consistently drawing from the pocket. I regret the money I spent on scales a lot. Doubling down on my favorites. Most of my 2023 pickups were backups of models I already own. This was totally new to me, but it's an awesome feeling to use a knife whenever and however just knowing you have a backup in the vault if needed. It worked out budget wise because I bought way less new models and because of the great sale prices on 2023 discontinued models. Spyderco still on top! I tried some "others" in 2023 and they had flaws that were not apparent until really using them, and get zero pocket time. This year I'm going only Spyderco purchases, unless it's a custom fixed blade. First up is the S2XL salt which arrives in a few days. Fairly hyped to try a new Sal design after having read so many glowing reviews on the forum.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

- I now mostly carry medium to larger knives (3.5 - 4 inches blade), and rarely carry models below 3.5 inches
- I discovered the benefits of the wharnies for utility work
- I rarely bought backups before, but I stocked up during the MAP holidays on discontinued models (mostly Seki K390 and Salts, wharnies and SE models, and a few others).
- Enlarging the GB2 lock access transformed the knife into a model I actually like to carry
- PM2 remains a staple (S90V DLC with AWT scales remains my favourite)
- I discovered CRK's (mostly due to their early switch to well heat-treated Magnacut), and have grown fond of the large Sebenza and Inkosi. They've displaced the Spyderco's for about half of my everyday carry.
- I invested in better sharpening equipment: more diamond stones and pastes for the Edge Pro, and recently a Tormek T8 with diamond wheel.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delica appears to be the center of my universe!

I can do some orbiting, but all forces bring me back to the Delica. :smiling-halo

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My preferences haven’t really changed year to year, just broadened, still within the Spyderco universe.

This past year I added to my handle-forward collection (started years ago with my Caribbean) with the K390 Leaf Jumper and the VG10 and K390 Lil Temp3 LW. The upcoming Bodacious and Sequoia really excite me.

I also picked up a K390 Enuff2 and an SE H1 Jumpmaster2, thus doubling a fixie collection (started years ago with my Enuff Salt and Waterway) that I never intended to have…
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

THG wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:39 pm
Now I prefer corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening over edge holding

I also prefer Wharncliffe blades now

But I still prefer tip-down carry
I'm with you on steels.

If I carried multiple knives I'd definitely choose a wharncliffe as my #2. They do a lot of tasks better than knives with belly, but aren't quite as versatile. When I carry a design with a lot of belly I think about pairing them with a smaller wharncliffe. Maybe I should carry my Spin with my large drop point folders and try to remember to use it.

Doesn't seem to be many people here that prefer tip down. I'm a bigger fan of tip up in general, but I do like the way the stock Military 1 carries IWB or in a side pocket on my pants. Just not a fan of tip down when it comes to in hand feel, or right front pocket carry.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:13 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:57 pm
- I was never concerned with weight, and I don't understand people concerned with weight.
That´s a bit sad.

I totally do understand people not concerned with weight, but I don´t understand if one cant´t imagine any scenario in the life of some others where light weight might be nice to have ;)
NOPE, cannot see it. Especially when 95% of the knives they are kvetching about are 1 to 3.5 inches long Spyderco knives. Spyderco does not make heavy knives to begin with.

Now if it was a 1 to 3 foot long fixed blade, there may be a reason for a lighter blade.

By the way, I weigh 195 to 200lbs, so a couple of ounces either way do not matter to me. If I weighed 50lbs, I might notice it.
My comment was not on what you like for yourself - again, I totally do understand "people not concerned with weight".
I also totally understand people who carry folders solely for sd, like you, despite I never do.

It was about you saying that you don´t have understanding for people who might have other needs or preferences than you.

It is also not about "knife weight in relation to body weight".

Just like folks in some cases might prefer S90V over VG10, or the feel of a smooth scale over a rough one iwb, low weight can be nice in some scenarios, for example:

- In floppy, light garment pockets (iwb not being a good alternative, since for example untucked shirt and other layers make it harder to get to and put back the knife) - especially when being active.
- In light zippered pockets, where the folder gets carried loose and unclipped: Nicer if it is light, also tends not to make holes in the pocket as much over time
- In mountaineering and ultralight hiking: Every more or less serious mountaineer will keep the carry load light (more important when covering a lot of vertical distance than on flat hikes, especially in technically demanding terrain) and choose gear accordingly.
Admittedly my folder is probably the LAST item I consider then, but still it is nice if it is as light as possible while still offering the needed capability.
- And then there is just the appreciation for the amazing knife designing that is necessary to invent and built a folder that is robust and capable, but still very light. Imo a lot harder to do and more fascinating than just using a heavy construction.

No offense meant, btw.! For me there is just a difference between: "I can´t imagine being ever in a scenario where I´d want feature xy" and "I don´t understand people who ARE in those scenarios and thus DO like feature xy".
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:57 pm
- I was never concerned with weight, and I don't understand people concerned with weight.
Depends on my outfit and activity. If I'm wearing my truspec cargo pants and a thick gun belt and standing around during a graveyard security shift, I don't mind a heavy knife.

If it's summer and I'm in running shorts and I have the day off, I don't want to pack an 8oz folder and feel it bouncing around while I go for runs, play disc golf, hike, etc.

How much stuff you carry matters too. If I'm packing light I have a car key, lightweight wallet, 2.5-4.5oz folder and a phone. Other days I'll add a 5" flashlight, a gun and spare mags, a pocket multitool, a full sized multitool, a second work phone, etc. so ounces quickly turn into pounds.

I weigh a lean 220 but I still notice the difference between a 4oz folder and 6oz folder, or a 19lb road bike and a 25lb road bike, or boots vs trail runners vs barefoot style shoes. External weight carries differently than internal.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:29 pm

- Still clearly prefer full SE, but can "live better" again with PE in some steels (REX45, 4V) and if I really like the platform (Goddard, Manix 2 LW) - my basic version of the "Vivi edge" sure helps with that

- The thin red line Endura taught me, how good a long, ffg comboedge can be!
Often it does not matter if one starts a cut with SE and finishes with PE (processing cardboard...), sometimes it is very nice if the "points" of the teeth break up materail initially before PE gets to cut it further, the SE section is long enough to give you a great "featherstick maker" or "deeply into wood biter" (chiselgrind!), while the PE part is still there if one needs more of a "scraper" or in very particular cases wants to avoid the "SE steering", with the SE part one always has an "emergency rip things apart tool" on them (I guess even wire cut be cut with that in a pinch)

- Like Vivi I am preferring backlocks even more.
In fact I slimmed down my array of Spydies so that I only have backlocks anymore, except one Manix 2 LW (and technically a PM2, but that is long term lend to a friend who lives pretty far away).
If there were more CBBLs, I´d probably have some more knives with that lock too, but backlock would still be "king".
What sharpening method are you using for PE these days?

Sometimes when I'm too lazy to bust out bench stones I'll do touch-ups with the diamond rods on the sharpmaker. Bit more polished than the edge my go to coarse stone gives (300 grit side of the four sided harbor freight stone), but still offers a nice, long lasting apex.

If it weren't for you preferring a shorter closed length I'd say try out a CE Resilience some day. They offer a ton of blade length so you get a pretty good amount of each edge type, which seems to be key to getting a good experience with CE blades.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wallach wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:33 am
2023 is also the year I've started moving more towards fixed blade for my EDC after picking up a Guardian 3.2. No fixed blade before that knife could have convinced me to take anything but a folder to work; fixed blades required too much thought and setup in terms of figuring out my belt carry options, and I honestly didn't really even own any fixed blades that were small enough to make sense for regular EDC. But with the 3.2 and some new pocket carry options (both an Armatus Architect with an Ulti Clip, and a Roac Gear custom pocket carry leather sheath), it's become the norm more than the exception to have just my fixed blade with me. I'm still buying and using folders, but that knife definitely changed my EDC thought process forever. I will definitely be getting some more carry options for the M1 as well to see how that matches up to the Guardian over time.

Finding a good carry method is key to enjoying fixed blades for EDC's. Ulticlips are great - they open up a lot of carry options.

https://streamable.com/xryskl - Here's a pocket carry method I came up with that's discreet. Mini carabiner attached to paracord. I wrote more details in my old street beat review - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89161
vivi

Post by vivi »

Windward wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:49 am
The big one for me was, this year, was that i really leaned into frn/frcp being my favorite handle material. Used to think it felt cheap, now ive come to appreciate so much more.

Im no longer of the thinking that non stainless steels had no place for me. I have a bay on one side of me and ocean on the other and my work days are usually on boats. I bought a cruwear thos year para 3 and love it. It wont see work, and i do have to oil it even just in the drawer. But everytime i use it, im happy.

Manix 2LW is now my favorite golden model. Used to be the pm2, but the feel and srength have really suited me better. I used to avoid manixes, because of the lock position. Based on previous knives (usually axis style locks) in the same area i found them awkward to use. The manix ball lock however, i love it.

I briefly tried deep carry this year. Realised i hated it quicky. So maybe not a change, but i learned something.

Everything else still stayed the same. still really like simple backlock, seki models. Toughness and corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening are still way more important than edge retention to me. H1 has remained my favorite knife steel.
I'm with you on H1 - it's my favorite too.

That said non-stainless steels are fun to mess around with. I use them a lot in my fixed blades, and have a few folders developing a nice patina. A lot of them offer a really nice combination of toughness, edge holding and sharpening response, like M4.

One thing I feel like a lot of people overlook with deep carry clips is how they affect in hand ergonomics. Maybe the people buying them prioritize that less than me, but I've handled a few spydies with lynch clips and felt like the in hand feel took a dramatic hit for the worse. Having handled a few spydercos with aftermarket clips, or folders from other brands in general, I can tell spyderco puts a lot of thought into how the clip feels while using the knife. Something I really appreciate.