RIP Cale Yarborough

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

RIP Cale Yarborough

Post by MacLaren »

Cale Yarborough passed away yesterday December 31st at 84 years old.
He was one of the best ever.
JD Spydo

Re: RIP Cale Yarborough

Post by JD Spydo »

He was certainly one of the more famous race car drivers. I remember him and Mario Andretti along with Richard Petty and many others from that era. So many icons from the 60s, 70s and 80s are starting to leave this planet.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yeah, he won the Daytona 500 4 times, 2nd only to Richard Petty's 7 wins
He also won the Championship 3 years in a row 76,77,78 - a feat that was unequaled until Jimmy Johnson did it in 2008 (New York Times)
Not even Earnhardt won 4 Daytona 500's and 3 straight Championship's or Richard Petty as far as the 3 straight Championship's
It's untelling what would've happened had he not retired and stayed with Junior Johnson
Your right Joe, so many are leaving us - I know it's natural but, still....it's just really sad..
I gotta say, I don't really remember Cale Yarborough winning those Championship's in the 70's - although I do remember him then but, Nascar in the early 80's thru the mid 90's was the best ever imo. I was never a big Nascar fan, I found it boring but, I did watch it sometimes and did keep up with the drivers s bit. I also loved the cars from back then. They looked Ike stock cars back then. Monte Carlo, Thunderbird, etc... Darryl Waltrips Mountain Dew #11 car, Dale Earnhardts Wrangler #3, Bill Elliots Coors #9 Thunderbird & of course Cale Yarborough in that Holly Farms car - those were the days for Nascar imo
Edit....again... the Harry Gant #33 Skoal Bandit!!
Last edited by MacLaren on Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

He was one of the greats of racing. RIP.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sad to hear of Cale passing . I saw him race in the 60’s at the Springfield Mile 100 dirt track . My Mother oversaw payroll for an oil company and would get tickets to races including the Indy 500 . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:53 am
Sad to hear of Cale passing . I saw him race in the 60’s at the Springfield Mile 100 dirt track . My Mother oversaw payroll for an oil company and would get tickets to races including the Indy 500 . Dan
Dan, he was also offered a football scholarship at Clemson. He was a really good football player - (Half Back) played semi pro and was offered a tryout for the Washington Redskins (New York Time - I think fellas)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:03 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:53 am
Dan, he was also offered a football scholarship at Clemson. He was a really good football player - (Half Back) played semi pro and was offered a tryout for the Washington Redskins (New York Time - I think fellas)
I don’t doubt it , he was a bull . They said reason why he was so competitive was that he had such great upper body strength . This gave him more endurance on high bank tracks being able to withstand the high G forces . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Rest in peace, Cale.

You will be missed.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!