Your Ideal Folder for Hiking & Backpacking is....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which folder would you prefer to take hiking or backpacking?

Manix 2 LW
13%
Endura
8%
Delica
3%
Para 2
5%
Para 3 / Sage 5
1%
Native Chief / Chief LW
7%
Native
9%
Salt Series
34%
Stretch 2
2%
Other (please specify)
18%

Total votes: 91

Bolster

Re: Your Ideal Folder for Hiking & Backpacking is....

Post by Bolster »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:15 pm
What is your ideal folder for hiking and/or backpacking? Please explain your pros/cons.

Hey Toomany:

You might enjoy reviewing this thread. Gives weight and size "bang for the buck" statistics on various Spyderco knives.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95078&p=1724733
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:46 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:15 pm
....i had drank through my 3l of water i was carrying and still was bordering on heat stroke....
Wow.
yeah. it was 100° in the shenandoah mountains and we were carrying over 50 pounds in our packs. i was a semi-experienced hiker/camper, but we made some bad decisions in the name of machismo. it was an important learning experience that changed the way i journey outside.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:04 pm
A Mora Companion with sheath is only about 5.5 ounces/155.9g, so that is probably what I'd carry. ....
EDIT: Just realized that this is about FOLDERS, sorry.. ;)

Yes, the Mora Companion is really a great knife for the money - for me the "regular" one, not the "heavy duty" with the thicker blade (Never would have needed that added thickness and strength).

It is superlight, and despite having just a stick tang can take batoning really well (I do a lot of that when outdoors and making fire cause I normally don´t bring a hatchet, and even if I do: For smaller pieces of wood batoning with a knife works at least as well as using a hatchet for me, if not better).

Also the 12C17 of the stainless version is really good - I sometimes wish Spyderco would use that steel in their "budget" knives. I am sure, being Spyderco, they could make it even better with their attention to perfect heat treatment and the like.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Holland

Post by Holland »

I always bring my GB2 or Mantra 1
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have UL gear, so I can have excess weight elsewhere.

"The more you know, the less you carry."
--Mors Kochanski
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Some points why the Pac Salt SE (the disco´ed "1" in my case) is my preferred full size hiking / backpacking / mountaineering folder:

- The linerless construction held up to all the use and abuse I put on it no problem - so why go heavier, more complex in construction (and, if this was a concern of mine, also with more parts that could potentially rust)?

- The sabre hollow ground blade is really stout with a strong tip: In an emergency it could even be used for some medium prying I guess, if one grabbed the knife on the BLADE so that there is no stress on the pivot
Same goes for some digging, drilling holes or whatever. I know, rather very unusual and more emergency tasks, but in the outdoors it can´t hurt to have a tool that could somewhat do that in a pinch

- The serrated H1 edge stays sharp for a pretty long time - and will still tear apart matter when technically "dull"

- For me the serrations clearly work better for stuff like cutting branches (for example from dwarf mountain pines for making a sleeping "matress") and fine feathersticks

- The edge is long enough for "outdoorsy" food prep - though admittedly here ffg and a tapered blade would be the better choice over the stout sabre hollow grind.
(I roughly smoothed out the "sharp" transition though between the lower hollow part and the upper rectangular part of the blade on my H1 Pac Salt - makes it glide trough food and matter with wider diameter noticably better).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Wartstein, that’s a great idea! I’ll have to smooth out the transition on one of my serrated PAC Salts and try it for food prep. Thanks!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I voted other. The Rockjumper in spyderedge is my go to knife for the job.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:59 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:04 pm
A Mora Companion with sheath is only about 5.5 ounces/155.9g, so that is probably what I'd carry. ....
EDIT: Just realized that this is about FOLDERS, sorry.. ;)

Yes, the Mora Companion is really a great knife for the money - for me the "regular" one, not the "heavy duty" with the thicker blade (Never would have needed that added thickness and strength).

It is superlight, and despite having just a stick tang can take batoning really well (I do a lot of that when outdoors and making fire cause I normally don´t bring a hatchet, and even if I do: For smaller pieces of wood batoning with a knife works at least as well as using a hatchet for me, if not better).

Also the 12C17 of the stainless version is really good - I sometimes wish Spyderco would use that steel in their "budget" knives. I am sure, being Spyderco, they could make it even better with their attention to perfect heat treatment and the like.
12C27 < 13C26 < 14C28N. All are very, very tough, tougher than 52100. I would like to see Spyderco use 14C28N for fixed blades and budget knives. That stuff holds an edge pretty well, is very corrosion resistant, and won't break. I have two hunting knives in that steel and prefer it to D2 and other common steels.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:59 am
Wartstein, that’s a great idea! I’ll have to smooth out the transition on one of my serrated PAC Salts and try it for food prep. Thanks!

It's an improvement, you'll see...

Since I don't care for pretty looks at all especially on my workhorse Pac Salt blade, I just grabbed whatever was handy several times and sanded / filed away at that transition... I think one time I used a metal file, one time sandpaper and one time a sharpening stone meant for scythes... :grin-sweat
Flash

Post by Flash »

It really depends exactly what you think you would be cutting, also One man’s hike is another man’s expedition.

My HH UKPK does pretty much everything I’d require of a folding knife for what I would expect to be cutting on a single day, home before dark type of hiking and backpacking trip.
I’d carry a 4-5” fixed blade like a Jarkkarripukko if I need something more robust to make fires and perform camp duties etc if it was that kind of a multi-night expedition.

If I had to choose a folder that I would be fairly at ease covering both of those tasks it would be my CS Ultimate Hunter. The Tri-ad gives you a almost as much confidence as a fixed, that how secure it feels.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

When hiking in CO, I carried a Stretch 1 in ZDP-189. I was more ignorant then about steel qualities, but it did what it needed to do for years. I would carry a tougher steel these days. Maybe a Stretch 2 XL LW....

When hunting in Texas and doing walk and stalks, I carried a Delica 4 VG-10 and a Bob Dozier Skinner Fixed Blade in D2. I have cleaned deer with a Delica before, so I know that they are plenty of knife for the job.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
vivi

Post by vivi »

Something light like a Pacific Salt.

If I need something more robust I'll be packing a fixed blade.
:unicorn
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

From a certain perspective my vote isn't very relevant because all I have ever used at this point is an Endura, but the best knife is the one you have on you, and obviously despite not sampling other Spydercos, the Endura was my choice when I got the opportunity to buy a Spyderco.

One important note about me and pocket knives when I am camping/hiking though, I consider folders back up knives to a fixed blade. I never carry just one knife, so on a normal EDC type day my Endura is my primary knife for it's convenience, and my Izula is the back up. When I am out in the woods my Mora is my primary and my Endura is the back up.

Despite not being my primary when hiking, I put a lot of stress on having a good back up, and it has to be light weight, so I love the Endura for that role.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I voted ‘other’ as I’d take either a Cruwear Manix 2 XL PE or a Stretch 2 XL Salt SE, depending on where in the world I was weather wise. I always carry a modest fixed blade and a small axe, so it’d mainly be used for odd tasks and food prep.

NB - if was in the UK I’d be sporting a UKPK or two.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Got by with a Delica on some hiking trips & out in the field in the Army.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Pm2 s110v
I also carry a fixed blade. Fallkniven S1/Frej usually. Something smaller if going shorter distance
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Pacific Salt is my go to currently. I have a S2XL salt in the mail and hope it does this job well also.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Either one of these 😉
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Salt Manix 2 lw for the win!......