The Sage: A stellar EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adv23

Re: The Sage: A stellar EDC

Post by adv23 »

Just picked one up - excellent work EDC
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Just got the clip in from Casey; nicely done as always.

I do like the Spyderco wire clips, but for the Manix 2 LW and Sage 5 - my heaviest wire clip designs - I prefer the more solid LynchNW ti clip.

Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

The Sage 5 lw is probably my most recommended knife…and I consider the m4 version to be the flagship of my 3” spydercos

I really, reheheaaallyyy wish they’d release one in cruwear so I could have a crucarta Sage 5 lw. That’s my ultimate 3” Spyderco
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Hope it’s okay to post this-

I was looking at Sages on eBay and came across this really cool custom, I haven’t seen anything like it. I figured Sage fans would be interested in seeing it.
(I have no affiliation with the seller)
IMG_0035.jpeg
IMG_0033.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Haunted House wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:52 am
Hope it’s okay to post this-

I was looking at Sages on eBay and came across this really cool custom, I haven’t seen anything like it. I figured Sage fans would be interested in seeing it.
(I have no affiliation with the seller)

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0033.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg
Not my style but apparently some do like the chopped knives.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
adv23

Post by adv23 »

adv23 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:29 am
Just picked one up - excellent work EDC
UPDATE:
I removed the lanyard tube and it looks much better. The stand offs are quite nice on this model.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

The Sage series are my favorite knives, Spyderco or not.. with the Sage 5 being the best as I just love the compression lock!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ok ok ok ,I broke down and ordered one this morning. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Sanpaku

Post by Sanpaku »

kobold wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:23 pm
What could match the Sage 1 in Maxamet? Maybe a Sage 2 in Magnacut?
Sage 2 was my first higher end production knife purchase 8 years ago. To this day, perhaps the best "classy" EDC under $300. I haven't been tempted to dip again into the Sage form factor, but considering its the Chris Reeve tribute and CRK were early adopters in MagnaCut, I'd be tempted by a Sage 2 in Magnacut.

Even better, borrow the ceramic detent ball, standoffs/hardware and clip from the SpydieChef, and make a Sage 2 Salt. It would stop me looking at my bank balance and the Quiet Carry Drift 2.0.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:55 am
Ok ok ok ,I broke down and ordered one this morning. MG2
Yes!
David R

Post by David R »

I agree it's a great knife. It's like a larger Chaparral. Blade is not as thin, but the Sage is still quite slicey. After trying all of them except for the Sage 3, I prefer the Sage 1. Mine is quite used (not sure where it is right now, or I would include a pic).

I am not a fan of S30V and keep considering a Maxamet Sage. I'm holding out for Magnacut.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

A Sage could be the only knife you will ever need…. but who needs only one knife?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think I’d really like the Sage 5. It has the leaf blade like a Manix, the comp lock of the Para 3, and the handle of the Native - arguably the best parts of all of those knives.

I’d especially like a larger, 3.5” or even 4” version.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:30 pm
Not my style but apparently some do like the chopped knives.
I have to agree. The handle looks nice, but overall it somehow reminds me of the Stovepipe (fairly unattractive).

I just got my Sage 5 in hand - it's nice! It has great all-around size and the blade shape looks refined in comparison to the Para 3.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

After the caly series the sage is definitely my favorite folding knife from spyderco
:bug-red-white
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image I want to thank you guys , the Sage is and outstanding design , it has become one of my favorite smaller knives . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

I recently put a Lynch clip on my Sage LW and it is now in my top 3 favorite carry knives.
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:52 pm
After the caly series the sage is definitely my favorite folding knife from spyderco

Being that they're not terribly dissimilar, what do you prefer about the Caly series?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:17 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:52 pm

Being that they're not terribly dissimilar, what do you prefer about the Caly series?
The calys offer me the same effectiveness of a leaf blade edc folder with the same level of comfort in the hand for edc tasks but in a less bulky profile. For a daily carry knife I’d rather take the less bulky option. I rarely need a hand filling type handle grip in my day to day life, I could see if I’m carving wood or cutting thick strapping repeatedly, but then in my case I’d choose fixed blade for those scenarios. I think the sage is a great choice for a work knife folder, where harder cutting work would be much more frequent, so that handle height difference might make a meaningful difference in comfort. Theres also other things I like better on the Caly. The blade rotation, the slightly more negative angle to the design, a sturdy moki lockback.
Basically I love the sage. But I love everything better about the calypsos calys
:bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Said it before:

To me the Sage 5 looks to be the "better Para 3" - thinner blade, but perhaps a bit more robust tip (?), less thumb ramp and a handle that maximizes the available grip area behind the choil as much as possible - to me important in such a small folder, and the Para 3 does rather the opposite with the pm2-ish pinky hook that actually shortens the grip area.

When there was the time when the Para 3 seemed to get all the variants, sprints, exclusives,steels I pesonally would have preferred the Sage 5 in that spot as a small comp.lock folder where one could try out those variations.

The Sage also looks very nice and harmonic in its lines - I know that eventually I´ll have to get and try a Sage 5 LW as a more urban, small comp.lock EDC folder.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)