"My dream spyderco would be"...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Windward

"My dream spyderco would be"...

Post by Windward »

My spyderco buying started back with a pacific salt because i needed a work knife that wouldnt rust on me. A few years, and dozens of knives later, i still purchase many of my spydercos for specific work purposes (among other reasons), trying to find my perfect work knives. They've all been great, but theres always that imaginary "grail knife".

So i ask, what would be your ideal/dream spyderco?
Essentially what variation on an already existing, discontinued, or upcoming design would you be most excited to see. Could be handle, steel, blade shape, etc. The base knife has to exist, but your dream variation doesnt have to have ever existed..and why?

For me, it would be a combination of the atlantic salt in serrated h2, with the folding marlin spike from the the tusk. Add titanium textured scales so the in-scale shackle key doesn't deform on tougher shackle pins. Basically all the features i love about my atlantic, plus eliminating my need to carry a separate marlin spike.
Last edited by Windward on Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jesla

Re: "My ideal spyderco would be"...

Post by Jesla »

PM2 LW SPY27
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The original black micarta calypso and the jr. will always be my favorite knives. I use my folders the most and for folder designs I love everything about Calys, for their function and what they represent. They are a combination of the most used design features in spydercos in house design catalog. Dropped down leaf shape, thumb ramp, index choil, a compact and carriable profile, mid lockback, a swell style handle. just pure sal design type of knife
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Easy, and said it quite often already:

Endura 4, ffg, regular blade shape, VG 10, full SE (serrations just like in the Endela SE)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

PM2-F and Para 3-F - What are these knives you ask? They are the very popular paramilitary 2 and 3 designs, but with a flipper clip added to the blade like the Sliverax or Amalgam knives. S30V with G-10 scales would be okay, but Magnacut would be better since we are discussing ideal. This merely takes a very popular design and makes it even better.

Why? The Spydie-hole on the Spyderco knives make them easier to open. But unlike some younger folks who can easier do the Spydie-flip, those of us with older hands and gnarled knuckles like even easier ways of opening knives. When I found flipper knives, I fell in love. And younger folks like to flip, so it works for the young and the old.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
ChrisinHove

Re: "My dream spyderco would be"...

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sheepsfoot UKPK in Spy27
kobold

Post by kobold »

Fluted Ti Native Chief in MC.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
vivi

Post by vivi »

Stretch XL Salt is pretty close for a 365 EDC, but truth be told it's the same size as a Pacific Salt, which is the smallest folder in my rotation.

So my dream knife would be a slightly bigger salt, like a Police. That's the perfect size for my grip & blade length preferences.

Outside of salts, I could go for a C95 Manix with no choil and an edge all the way to the handle, contoured micarta scales, blacked out hardware, and DLC 4V blade.
vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:59 pm
I've been beating that drum for a few years now. Doubt this idea ever sees the light of day, but boy would I be a happy camper.

Drew that 3 years and a week ago it looks like.
I think this sketch could work, as I believe there's room for a small kick tbat could be hidden underneath the guard when in the open position.
:unicorn
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Lil' Temperance XL (around 90mm blade) with red Micarta and CRU-WEAR steel.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

TATANKA!!!

TATANKA!!!

TATANKA!!!
vanka

Post by vanka »

Sheepsfoot UKPK with damacore blade and carbon fibre handle. With that blade shape and length and being a slipjoint makes it legal to carry almost everywhere.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Native 5 CruCarta with a Compression lock: Favorite platform, lock, steel, and scales.

Dragonfly G10 in Cru-Wear: Seems like a production DFly in Cru-Wear should already exist.
Brian
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Excelent thread. I wanted to start a similar one but you beat me to it. My dream Spyderco would be an XL Dragonfly with a 2.8-2.95 inch blade in SPY27, with an improved lockback(internal stop pin). Sal’s best design and steel, brought to perfection IMHO.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

15v Military
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aimark42

Post by aimark42 »

I'd really like to see a Lil Native Wharncliffe in Magnacut or Elmax, in a really hot handle color.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's kind of hard to say because i like so many different knives and different aspects that don't necessarily fit together into the same knife. probably why i'm carrying three different spydercos on me today. if i had to go with just one folder though, it would probably be the new manix 2 lw salt that i have yet to order.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

S90V/CF Hundred Pacer, or S90V Mamba with the grind "fixed."

Great thread.

Edit: by "fixed," I mean not this:
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

Leaf-shaped blade with minor or no thumb ramp. Like a mix between a Sage and a Native. Finger choil. Compression lock. 3-3.5 inch edge. Serrated model and a plain edge model. Well-rounded steel leaning towards edge retention. Micarta scales with liners.

A serrated Sage 5 LW would be pretty much it. Plenty of Micarta scales are already available. I'm wondering if I could just buy another Sage 5 LW and have someone grind serrations into it.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Original C95 with a carbon steel or Magnacut.

Original Persian with its micarta handle.

A slysz bowie type folder with the bladeshape of the original Chinook.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:24 am
The original black micarta calypso and the jr…

I saw the opening line and had a feeling it would be you. I appreciate all the photos you share. The Caly lineup is one I’m not familiar with, but they sound great.

Edited for typos.