Vantablack Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Vantablack Spydercos

Post by vivi »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantablack

I think this could be pretty neat if it's something that could be applied to pocket knives without raising the cost significantly. Unfortunately according to that article it's still on the expensive side, but maybe over the next few years we'll see it come down in price?
:unicorn
adancingmonkey

Re: Vantablack Spydercos

Post by adancingmonkey »

I believe that vantablack is very fragile, so likely would not do well in high friction applications. Good for applications that don't come into contact with other objects very much. Makes for a great watch face!
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

adancingmonkey wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:31 am
I believe that vantablack is very fragile, so likely would not do well in high friction applications. Good for applications that don't come into contact with other objects very much. Makes for a great watch face!
I've heard of Vanta Black, and there was a paint made for that "color." They painted a few cars in it.

If not Vanta Black, maybe something close.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Yeah that’d be pretty metal
:bug-red-white
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

No thanks. This WOULD be way overly expensive. It’s also fairly limited in its applicability because as adancingmonkey noted, vantablack is a delicate coating, less so than even paint. I’m not a fan of painted knives even if they were in a cool “color” like vantablack.
-Nick :bug-red
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

They painted a BMW SUV with it, I think it was an X6, but it was a concept, not a production car. There is a more commercially usable paint called musou black which also absorbs over 99% of light, but not as much as vantablack.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Reflecting no light, how would I take photos of my vantablack Spyderco seconds when I want to flip them on eBay?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:23 pm
Reflecting no light, how would I take photos of my vantablack Spyderco seconds when I want to flip them on eBay?
asking the important question :rofl

seriously though, if this stuff lacks durability then nevermind. Thought it'd look cool having a deep black spyderco like that but function > fashion.
:unicorn
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:23 pm
Well, you should be able to get a picture of that shiny seconds notch. It should really pop against that backdrop.
Danke

Post by Danke »

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is None: None...more black."
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Spyderco is doing tests with new types off coatings so who knows they can go darker black in the future.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

apollo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:23 am
Spyderco is doing tests with new types off coatings so who knows they can go darker black in the future.
It doesn't get any blacker than vantablack. It absorbs more than 99.9% of visible light. :cheap-sunglasses

apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:08 am
apollo wrote:
It doesn't get any blacker than vantablack. It absorbs more than 99.9% of visible light. :cheap-sunglasses

Haha :zany yeah with darker i ment darker then the current dlc sorry for the lack of detail in my previous post. :smlling-eyes :squinting-tongue
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I’ve always heard that the creator of Vantablack licensed its use exclusively to one guy for artistic purposes, so no one else can even use it. Then, another artist created “Black 2.0” to compete for it and licensed its use to anyone other than that other artist. That’s about the extent of what I know on the subject, but some quick googling would indicate that black 2.0 is now Black 4.0, and it is even darker than Vantablack.
--Jeremy
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I’d like to see Spyderco use Black 4.0 - if it’s really as fragile as vantablack is, perhaps it could be used as a base color with a clear polycarbonate or resin coating…or gorilla glass or whatever Apple put in their older flagship iPhones that was durable enough to be the entire back side of the phone.
--Jeremy
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Mushroom wrote:
apollo wrote:

Black 4.0 is the blackest black paint in the known universe (that’s the slogan anyway). It’s not terribly expensive either.

ETA: It’s blacker than vantablack and musuo black
--Jeremy
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:21 pm
Mushroom wrote:
apollo wrote:

https://media.hswstatic.com/eyJidWNrZXQ ... F2aWYifX0=
Black 4.0 is the blackest black paint in the known universe (that’s the slogan anyway). It’s not terribly expensive either.

ETA: It’s blacker than vantablack and musuo black
Impressive! Wasn't aware of Black 4.0. :cheap-sunglasses I would still have concerns of durability but none the less, it’s still a very cool product.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I don't think I want a knife that's harder to find if I drop it.
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

Can you imagine a polished edge
on a blade that dark. I know it won't happen due to functionality but it sure would look awesome !
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Thorien wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:01 pm
Can you imagine a polished edge
on a blade that dark. I know it won't happen due to functionality but it sure would look awesome !
When the Cheshire Cat smiles and the whole cat becomes invisible except for the smile. That’s your polished edge, the cat’s smile all by itself.