Manix 2 LW deep carry pocket clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gimibala

Manix 2 LW deep carry pocket clip

Post by gimibala »

I called SFO to order a deep carry pocket clip for my new Manix 2 LW Rex 45. I asked them specifically if I can get a DEEP carry wire pocket clip for my Manix 2 LW. The gentleman that I talked with said “of course “.
Today I received the package in the mail and they shipped a standard wire clip. What should I do with it?
I don’t need it, can I return it? I’m just frustrated now so please let me know how should I proceed with this.
Thank you!
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Manix 2 LW deep carry pocket clip

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi there, you’re in a bit of a weird spot here with the Manix 2 wire clips. They use that staggered clip that places the lower rounded contact point right on the shield (“escutcheon”). A standard deep carry Spyderco wire clip will fit of course, but it’s not long enough for that rounded bit to properly land on that same point on the escutcheon. They do make a sufficiently longer clip to do this, but have only used it on the Foundry model by my recollection. Your best bet would be to ask them for a Foundry clip, but they may be out of them since it’s an older disco’d model plus they only come in satin, not black (if that’s what you’re after). Hope that helps, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Go to Northern Tool/Home Depot or Ace and get one of these, it’s a Milwaukee Tools Fastback and switch clips with the Manix 2 lw…they work great and the Fastback is awesome 👊
gimibala

Post by gimibala »

SaltyCaribbbeanDfly, I do have 2 of these Milwaukee Fastback, but why should I put this clip on my Manix 2 LW when I told specifically to the person at SFO that I would like to buy a deep carry pocket clip if they have available. They are directly responsible for the mistake, the person that answered the phone call should pay more attention to the customers.
I will have to call them again after Christmas. If they don’t make deep wire clips for Manix 2 LW they should’ve let me know.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:47 pm
Go to Northern Tool/Home Depot or Ace and get one of these, it’s a Milwaukee Tools Fastback and switch clips with the Manix 2 lw…they work great and the Fastback is awesome 👊
How did I miss this gem of information. Thanks salty. I may be going to Home Depot tomorrow.
MRj “Weak things break!”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

gimibala wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:09 pm
the person that answered the phone call should pay more attention to the customers...
If they don’t make deep wire clips for Manix 2 LW they should’ve let me know.

Yeah... The knife only comes with one style of clip. If you're dead-set on getting a deep carry clip, try Lynch. He makes a nice titanium replacement.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

gimibala wrote:
I told specifically to the person at SFO that I would like to buy a deep carry pocket clip if they have available. They are directly responsible for the mistake
Yes and no. The person was probably just trying to figure out what you were trying to order since you were asking to order something that does not exist.

Why Spyderco can’t just sell parts on a website like a normal company though, I don’t know.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

So glad I don't work customer service anymore. The amount of people who I've had to deal with that make something up in their head that doesn't exist and then are mad at me when I don't have it is something I'll never understand. Saying a prayer for whoever picks up the phone after xmas to deal with this.

Cool to know the fastback clip fits. Going to have to pick a couple up.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

https://i.postimg.cc/fyRkyFM6/80-B1-DC5 ... 8043-A.jpg
That’s a creative tip! If I wasn’t such an OEM nerd, I would definitely take advantage of this idea. :grin-squint
-Nick :bug-red
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

gimibala wrote:
SaltyCaribbbeanDfly, I do have 2 of these Milwaukee Fastback, but why should I put this clip on my Manix 2 LW when I told specifically to the person at SFO that I would like to buy a deep carry pocket clip if they have available. They are directly responsible for the mistake, the person that answered the phone call should pay more attention to the customers.
I will have to call them again after Christmas. If they don’t make deep wire clips for Manix 2 LW they should’ve let me know.
Hey man I get it and I don’t know why you were told that but mistakes happen, so make your call to SFO and try to get an explanation but the bottom line is they don’t exist…your best bet is gonna be the fastback or Etsy…good 🍀
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:02 pm
Hi there, you’re in a bit of a weird spot here with the Manix 2 wire clips. They use that staggered clip that places the lower rounded contact point right on the shield (“escutcheon”). A standard deep carry Spyderco wire clip will fit of course, but it’s not long enough for that rounded bit to properly land on that same point on the escutcheon. They do make a sufficiently longer clip to do this, but have only used it on the Foundry model by my recollection. ...

You´re completely sure on this?

To be clear: I really dislike deep carry clips (wire or not) so I have no actual idea:

Just can recall that the deep carry wire clip on my Kapara was pretty long (actually I was looking for a NON deep carry alternative, but then sold the knife) and also the one on the Spydiechef looks to be - they might fit the Manix LW AND hit that smooth contact point - ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

gimibala wrote:
Wow. Your misunderstanding of the availability of such a clip caused this and yet it's the CS reps mistake?
Give it a rest
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I thought the clip that came with this knife was already a deep carry wire clip?? I'm confused.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

You were right salty. I forgot I had one of those knives. Works great.
Last edited by Mrj on Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:54 am
I thought the clip that came with this knife was already a deep carry wire clip?? I'm confused.
The manix 2 lw comes with a wire clip, but it isn't folded over to make it deep carry. As far as I know it's the only Spyderco wire clip in production that uses this style.

I got curious and put my kapara clip on my manix. It's not quite long enough for the contract patch to be on the smooth section of scale. Needs to be 1/8-1/4" longer.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:25 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The manix 2 lw comes with a wire clip, but it isn't folded over to make it deep carry. ....

Very luckily for me... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I'll second the LynchNW clip if you're willing to pay a little more.

MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:39 am
Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:25 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The manix 2 lw comes with a wire clip, but it isn't folded over to make it deep carry. ....

Very luckily for me... ;)
I generally prefer shallow carry as well, particularly on a big knife like the manix, it's nice to have something hanging out to grab. I would prefer an hourglass clip on medium to larger knives though.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Skywalker wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:35 am
I'll second the LynchNW clip if you're willing to pay a little more.

^ That looks really good, Sky.
Thanks for the photo.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Mrj wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:22 am
You were right salty. I forgot I had one of those knives. Works great.
Heck yeah 👊