Newby Spiderco owner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DocRobbs

Newby Spiderco owner

Post by DocRobbs »

I got an early Christmas present of an Endura lightweight 4. I had never really thought of having a Spiderco before but I really like the wayit feels and fits in my hand. My BIL said it's been his EDC for a couple of years and his favorite so that was what he got me. First impressions are I like it, it cuts cardboard like butter (a frequent use). I'm still getting use to the mid back lock. I have an old Buck 110 that's seen a lot of use but the back lock is at the end. Almost all of my other knives and EDC's are liner or frame lock.

My big questions are more related to keeping it sharp. Under magnification it looks like it has a steeper edge angle with a micro bevel. Does anyone know what the factory uses to sharpen it. It seems like a pretty good setup to continue.

I've been pouring over the info here and elsewhere, like a kid with with his new toy. Thanks to all!

DocRobbs
sal

Re: Newby Spiderco owner

Post by sal »

Hi DocRobbs,

Welcome to our forum.

Lotsa bright folks hang around here. Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DocRobbs wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:26 pm
I got an early Christmas present of an Endura lightweight 4. I had never really thought of having a Spiderco before but I really like the wayit feels and fits in my hand. My BIL said it's been his EDC for a couple of years and his favorite so that was what he got me. First impressions are I like it, it cuts cardboard like butter (a frequent use). I'm still getting use to the mid back lock. I have an old Buck 110 that's seen a lot of use but the back lock is at the end. Almost all of my other knives and EDC's are liner or frame lock.

My big questions are more related to keeping it sharp. Under magnification it looks like it has a steeper edge angle with a micro bevel. Does anyone know what the factory uses to sharpen it. It seems like a pretty good setup to continue.

I've been pouring over the info here and elsewhere, like a kid with with his new toy. Thanks to all!

DocRobbs

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

Incidentally your first Spyderco is also my all time favorite one - of ALL folders EVER, not "just" Spyderco!

Which version do you have? The plain jane VG10 ? Which would be a great one to have btw - VG10 is good stuff, pretty rust proof and a joy to sharpen!

Concerning sharpening: Not sure about the factory angle - I don´t care about such things in detail, but I think it should be between 15 and 20 degrees per side.

As always: If you don´t have sharpening gear you like already (but from your post I assume you have and also experience?) I´d definitely get a Sharpmaker as your "next Spyderco", and with VG10 I personally would go with the 15 degrees per side setting. Works fine for me and as soon as you have the edge at that angle you can always opt for a quick 20 degree microbevel occasionally if need should be.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

The easiest way to keep it sharp would be the Spyderco sharpmaker, using the 20 degree setting.

Most every Spyderco comes ground thinner than that, so it makes it simple to hone the edge that way.

Regarding the lock, the lockback can feel a little less intuitive to use one handed at first VS a liner lock, at least to me it did. Here's a video that shows some of the ways you can close them one handed. Do be careful trying any of these for the first time!

https://streamlala.com/fgYEE/
:unicorn
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Welcome DocRobbs! An Endura was my first Spyderco knife and it impressed me so much that I have mostly used Spyderco since then. 12 years later that same Endura is still working great with really minimal maintenance. I have only used the sharpmaker and it does its job well.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Btw: Should you already have replied and these posts do not show up (yet): See here ;) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88927#p1496705
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Welcome to the forum!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Welcome to SpydieWorld!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the Forum. The Endura is a mighty fine knife. It is in my top 2 favorites, depending. It carries slim and has a blade that is long enough to do something with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

DocRobbs wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:26 pm

DocRobbs
Welcome. Just as a side note, the name is Spyderco not Spiderco. You allready received very good advices from the others, I can only encourage you to purchase the Spyderco Sharpmaker and follow the tutorial.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

vivi said it all :open-grin.

Welcome to this forum, where it feels like Christmas time in family, all the time.
Maybe with the occasionnal verbal jousting, but always in good spirit
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
DocRobbs

Post by DocRobbs »

Thanks for all the responses. Yup mine is the plain jane black with VG10. I knew the spelling but it must have escaped as I typed. Spelling is not my forte.

I've not got the knack of sharpening by hand and my early attempts seem to make things worse so I started looking into angle guided units. All mine are homemade and I've been reasonably ok but not great. I'd love to try a Tsprof, Wicked Edge or other but they are all out of my budget. My first attempt was with a magnet holder/clamp kind of an EdgePro type but right now I've got one cobbled together with parts from china. I did good with cheap knives but on better steels not so much. My clamping system needs work and I need a better collection of stones.

I appreciate the Spyderco sharpmaker recommendation as I really hadn't looked into it. I always worry about my ability to rely on me to maintain an angle.

In spite of using knives most of my life I'm really just getting into this. Both knives and sharpening. There's so much to learn.

Also love the kind words for my Lord and Savior!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Welcome to the Forum ! Endura is iconic , great knife . I would try Vivi recommendation and drop lower later if not happy with results . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

Welcome to the forum! The Endura is a great model and my favorite of the back locks. It’s little brother the Delica was my first Spyderco. I’d also highly recommended the sharpmaker for keeping it razor sharp.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Yes, welcome to the Spyderco Forums, DocRobbs.

My first three Spyderco’s were two of the smaller Delica’s and a Sharpmaker—thirty years ago. Now after purchasing a couple hundred more Spyderco’s and the latest version of the Sharpmaker I find that the Sharpmaker does a great job on any knife; It’s the only one I use.

Before I gift friends a Spyderco I’ll at least “dust off” the edge with the Sharpmaker. For the people who don’t normally carry I’ll hand them the knife and I’ll include a Band-Aid with it. Most will laugh at the Band-Aid and they get it. Others have tried the edge and found that the Band-Aid comes in handy afterwards.;)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Welcome to the forum. Good first Spyderco with the Endura. Sharpmaker is the easiest way to maintain. I always recommend seeking out a leather 'strop block' with some kind of polishing compound for weekly touch up maintenance in between sharpening (knivesplus sells some good ones) but the sharpmaker does a pretty good job on it's own. Stropping helps straighten out the microscopic steel 'hairs' at the apex of the edge. When a knife gets dull from use, these hairs usually fold over, leather stropping with diamond paste or polishing compound can quickly straighten these hairs or teeth if you prefer back to razor sharp without the need to remove more steel from the edge by sharpening. Eventually the more you strop you will start to round or convex the edge and sharpening will be required to get that nice crisp apex back.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

Welcome to the best Spyderco Forum on the internet!