My SE Endura wharnie project.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Striple765Rider

My SE Endura wharnie project.

Post by Striple765Rider »

My project Endura wharnie is coming along!

I got a SE Endura wharncliffe during the big sales a couple weeks back to make into a project knife.

I love wharnie’s but have never had a full SE one even though I know that wharncliffe AND spyderedge combined means one **** of a mean slicer.

I’ve always hated the hideous giant humpback whale look of their wharncliffe Seki models though. After doing some searching I found some really cool looking reprofiled spines though and gave me the idea.

I unfortunately don’t have a belt sander though so I used my angle grinder with a flap disc (basically a bunch of sandpaper on a grinder wheel) mounted in my vise. I went slow and easy and dunked it in water to keep it cool to the touch. I REALLY like the profile now and think it looks badass.

I also acid etched it and semi stonewashed it. Just as it was starting to stone wash a bit I noticed it was doing a little damage to some of the small serration teeth so I stopped. After putting it back together I gave it a good sharpening on the sharpmaker.

I really like the all black look and want to get black hardware to match. I’m still going with my original plan though of putting a nice set of RC bladeworks brown canvas micarta scales on it.

I took one pic of it next to my other sick wharnie with a black blade.

Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Striple765Rider

Re: My SE Endura wharnie project.

Couple pics of the progress.

Right out of the box.

After some reshaping.

Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

Great work and nice project!

How does it look closed?
Striple765Rider

Thank you! I’m happy with it so far. I’m excited to get the brown micarta scales with black hardware on it too. I didn’t even think to post a picture of it closed. It’s still got a pretty wide footprint when closed compared to a standard blade endura surprisingly.

Next to my awesome British racing green ZDP-189 Endura.

-Dave
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like that your mod give it a useful point.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Looks stellar! Been on the fence about picking one of these up but now I might have to.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I like it, nice work! I think it will look great with black hardware and micarta, thanks for sharing!
So it goes.
Striple765Rider

Thank you everyone! I’ll be sure to update this thread when I install the black hardware and scales. The scales could be 2-4 weeks according to his site since they’re made to order. And yes it’s a VERY sharp and pointy tip now for sure!

-Dave
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

You are inspiring me! I might just follow suit
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Looks great! I have been wanting to do this to my Rock Jumper for some time. Even had it all marked up and ready. I may pick that project up some time.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

looks a lot better than the default blade profile IMO.
:unicorn
Bavspeed

Post by Bavspeed »

Awesomeness! Very nice…
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Bavspeed:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

Very nicely done...Seems well worth the effort:>)
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
Striple765Rider

Thank you everybody! I’m super excited to get the black hardware and micarta scales to have it all done and see what it looks like. It’s definitely less bulky in the pocket compared to the ultra wide (from spine to back of scales) factory profile.

-Dave
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That’s an excellent mod! I really like the look.

The Endura Wharnie SE is an excellent knife. I was using mine a few weekends ago to cut rolls of compressed rockwool insulation and it turned an awkward task into something easy.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Dude…Dope!!! 👏👊
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Love it! I’ve always wondered why Spyderco doesn’t provide a grind like this! Great work!

Hamilton
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:35 am
Thank you everybody! I’m super excited to get the black hardware and micarta scales to have it all done and see what it looks like. It’s definitely less bulky in the pocket compared to the ultra wide (from spine to back of scales) factory profile.
Did you get and install this stuff? I’d love to see how it looks! I have the same knife in the mail and a 5x5combatsolutions exotool pryend on the way. I’m gunna mod the blade too, but will be taking off more material.
Striple765Rider

I put the scales on with the black hardware and honestly didn’t like it. It made the action horribly stiff and I just didn’t like the look either. It didn’t comer out like I had in my mind so I just put it back to all black. Plus the clip screws won’t reach the liners with the micarta scales. So I couldn’t put the clip back on either so it was just a huge waste of time and money.

-Dave