SNK Manix 2 LW is coming!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: SNK Manix 2 LW is coming!!!

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:30 am
...so after some thought I figured if I have two pieces at all, the second one should really be different to my beloved REX 45 LW...

Hm. Personally, I would consider REX45 and 4V quite different steels, but I suppose that's a judgment call.

As said above already: I am not a steel expert at all, I am honestly certain you and many here know a lot more than I do in that regard.

But I was actually saying that compared to REX 45 BD1N would feel more different than 4V.
And that´s definitely true in my use:

As far as I can tell REX 45 and 4V have roughly the same edge holding and are both really tough in my use.
Still not too hard to sharpen.

BD1N on the other hand is not only "not too hard to sharpen" but a dream in in how extremely easy and quick it sharpens up.
It also has decent edge holding, but nothing like 4V and REX 45.

So looking at it through my layman "coarse matrix": A BD1N Manix 2 LW will be "more different" to my REX 45 Manix than a 4V Manix.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:47 pm
Anyway: In my personal use REX 45 appears to be really tough (I have only one knife in that steel though, the Manix 2 LW)
That's my oldest or second-oldest Spyderco. Without a doubt it's been with me on more adventures than any other. There's nothing to NOT like about that knife. I only have one M4 blade, in the Manix 2 Fattie. I think the REX45 is superior, but it might just be that I'm prejudiced against the knife. It's not for me.

Sometimes I think we place too much weight on Larrin's charts in regards to our own expectations. Is he using off-the-shelf Spyderco knives? If not, then we're comparing apples and oranges. Larrin is heat treating according to whatever protocols he's chosen. Sal might be doing something completely different. Does anyone here know?

I think a perfect example is 15V. Forgive me if I have the facts wrong, but didn't other manufactures make some blades in 15V and it wasn't all that great? Then Shawn decided that he was going to make it work, and he did. Sal put it into production, and they hit a home run.

Am I mistaken?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:42 pm
Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:30 am
...so after some thought I figured if I have two pieces at all, the second one should really be different to my beloved REX 45 LW...

Hm. Personally, I would consider REX45 and 4V quite different steels, but I suppose that's a judgment call.
Deformation resistance and impact toughness are different.

4V will be tougher but Rex 45 will resist deformation better.

There can be circumstances where a end user would interpret one as being "tougher" than the other when performing a demanding task and looking at the edge and seeing no damage on one and damage on the other depending on what's being done on what and what the geometry is.
Shawn, any thoughts on Spyderco's latest Cruwear runs? Like the PM2 Crucarta? It seems to hold up extremely well to abuse at the edge. Sorry, I know off-topic, but for how it sharpens up to what it resist, I've been impressed.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Just got an update , USPS says Friday which may be optimistic, I am thinking more like Saturday . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:22 pm
Just got an update , USPS says Friday which may be optimistic, I am thinking more like Saturday . Dan
Me too!! 🫣
John 🎅
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Expecting lots of pictures. Best looking Manix LW to date in my opinion.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

USPS says tomorrow. Looking forward to get it.
Bruce
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:31 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Expecting lots of pictures. Best looking Manix LW to date in my opinion.
Me take pictures ? Ha ha ha ! I will take a special one for you buddy . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:59 pm
As said above already: I am not a steel expert at all, I am honestly certain you and many here know a lot more than I do in that regard.

Hardly!! My sig line blatantly admits I'm a clueless know-nothing.

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:59 pm
A BD1N Manix 2 LW will be "more different" to my REX 45 Manix than a 4V Manix.

Ach, jetzt verstehe ich. Stimmt.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Same here but I figured more like
Tues/Wednesday next week
MRj “Weak things break!”
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:43 pm

Shawn, any thoughts on Spyderco's latest Cruwear runs? Like the PM2 Crucarta? It seems to hold up extremely well to abuse at the edge. Sorry, I know off-topic, but for how it sharpens up to what it resist, I've been impressed.
Yeah, measured 64rc, did pretty good in the rope cut testing.

I like Rex 45 more, the edge is stronger, that extra hardness is pretty wild, it measured 67rc. You'll have to let your wife test them and see what she thinks.

I gave a Rex 45 military to a none knife person, He said it was the best edge holding he ever had and it wasn't broken in half either despite all the farm chores he does. The edge actually held up much better upon observation then you would imagine for a steel that has lower impact toughness.

Just goes to show strength is an important factor.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Interesting, I thought these would all show up Christmas morning. :winking-tongue

I'll show myself out
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:19 pm
I like Rex 45 more, the edge is stronger, that extra hardness is pretty wild, it measured 67rc. You'll have to let your wife test them and see what she thinks.
Haha will do! I need to get some Rex45 for her. She is currently testing some Seki K390 in the "lab" under carefully controlled conditions.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:00 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:19 pm
Haha will do! I need to get some Rex45 for her. She is currently testing some Seki K390 in the "lab" under carefully controlled conditions.
REX45 definitely is my favorite steel so far, at least in PE!

... isn't there another Manix LW exclusive coming right now featuring REX45 (unfortunately (concerning my preferences) with DLC coating though)??
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:03 am
... isn't there another Manix LW exclusive coming right now featuring REX45 (unfortunately (concerning my preferences) with DLC coating though)??
Currently available. Satin Blade.
https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-manix ... 1pwh2.html
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Some DLC bladed versions still available, also :cowboy >
https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-manix ... whbk2.html
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:03 am
Currently available. Satin Blade.
https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-manix ... 1pwh2.html

Thanks!

If I hadn´t my burnt orange REX 45 LW already, I´d 100 % try to get this GP variant, despite it would not be easy from Europe.
AND: I´d definitely opt for the satin, not the coated blade.
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Got mine today. One is perfect, one is off center. I don’t want to bother sending it back. It’s not hitting the scales(close but no contact) and I figure that will be my user. First time I’ve gotten an spyderco off centered enough to bother me. Any tips on adjusting the centering on it without taking it apart?
Thanks,
Bruce
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dullmaker wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:13 pm
Got mine today. One is perfect, one is off center. I don’t want to bother sending it back. It’s not hitting the scales(close but no contact) and I figure that will be my user. First time I’ve gotten an spyderco off centered enough to bother me. Any tips on adjusting the centering on it without taking it apart?
Thanks,
Bruce
No tips, sorry, but why does it bother you when the blade is not hitting the scales ?!
Not really relevant then, right?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

New update SaNK left Birmingham at 4:10 PM and assume heading for hub in Champaign . It will be close for delivery on Friday , my guess Saturday is a done deal . MG2
Henry David Thoreau