Regular or DyeMore Rit for FRN/FRCP?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chumango

Regular or DyeMore Rit for FRN/FRCP?

Post by Chumango »

I am going to do my first handle dye project. I know folks here use both the regular and the DyeMore types of Rit dye. As I understand it the regular takes longer to color, but I've also heard that the DyeMore is more likely to bleed color afterward, getting color on hands and clothing. Have you observed color bleed if you use the DyeMore variety?

If it matters, I am thinking of using a red dye on a white handle. Final color TBD, might end up a fancy blue or blue green.
TimButterfield

Re: Regular or DyeMore Rit for FRN/FRCP?

Post by TimButterfield »

I'm considering an attempt also, but was wondering on another RIT variation. In addition to the good question above, does liquid vs powder affect anything?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have mostly used the regular dye. Seems like it bleeds a bit the first day or two. I usually wash it up afterwards to mitigate that. After that I have had zero issues with color bleed. Zero. I have dropped a knife and scratched/dinged the handles up. A deep scratch will reveal the original color. But it is easy to dye again.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Windward

Post by Windward »

Ive had really good luck with dyemore. Havent had any long term, but but put the ones ive done through some really hard use, and havent had any issues losing color or bleeding. Seemed to set in enough too where scratches havent really been showing the old color... there are less color options, but with rits color mixing guide on their website, havent had any issue doing every color ive wanted. I do usually add a splash of vinegar too. Not sure it makes a difference but i always add acid when dying fly tying materials, so figured it wouldnt hurt here either.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DyeMore is the way to go.
I don't know anything about this "bleeding" that you've heard about.
All mine have always come out fine.
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

I used dyemore liquid on my Caribbean scales and it has been perfect. I’ve had no bleeding or anything from mine. I have no experience with the plain RIT so I have no input on it. I doing think you’d want to use the powder. The liquid is just so much easier to use and isn’t expensive so it’s not like it would save you anything. I paid $7 for a bottle of the dyemore at a local craft store.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Used Tropical Teal DyeMore on a set of white g10 rat 2 scales from way of knife. Gave the knife to my sister over a year ago and haven't heard any complaints about it transferring color to clothing or anything in her purse. I rinsed in cold tap water after the soak in the dye and dried them off on the kitchen hand towels with no issues.