Why is 1095 steel popular amongst knife makers?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
VandymanG

Why is 1095 steel popular amongst knife makers?

Post by VandymanG »

I don’t get steels like 1095. Why are so many hunting, camping, hiking knives made from this steel? It’s not tough and it doesn’t have good edge retention so I just don’t get it.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
vivi

Re: Why is 1095 steel popular amongst knife makers?

Post by vivi »

cheap, easy to work with and it has a good reputation. not my favorite carbon steel either but it's easy to see why it's popular.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Not every knife steel has to be Magnacut or M390, and there are different steels for different applications and most of those applications are manufacturing, not knife making. The fact that we are seeing high edge retention steels is great, but it may not be by design...they may not have been intended for knife blades at all. We are lucky that there are a few manufacturers that make knives in high edge retention steels and the economy can absorb them.

People buying Spyderco knives are willing to invest the time to learn about the steels and then open their wallets. I do not think even 25% of the mass market is "educated" with regard to different steels and what they are missing out on.

I am sure that knife makers have a different opinion but the reason why they use some steels are is they are cheap and widely available. There are a lot of cheap steels out there, 1095 is just one of them. Some makers like Randall use O1 and after thinking long and hard about it, I cancelled 3 to 5 knives that I had ordered back a few years because I just was not that into the steels they use.

Don't forget, Cold Steel disappointed many when it dropped CTS-XHP due to availability. At least that is what they claimed was the reason.

I am not going to look up or try to calculate the price difference between Magnacut and 1095 knives, but I am sure there are differences in base cost plus machining. The makers have to be able to find buyers. Spyderco is unique in that they have worked with so many different types of steel. Most bladesmiths/manufacturers do not want to deal with the headaches.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

1095 does have name recognition. They have been making knives with it since WW2 and generations have grown up with it including me. When I was a kid knives I could afford had carbon steel ( most often 1095) and Stainless or "surgical stainless" ( usually one of the 440 steels and sometimes 420). The carbon steels were easier to sharpen on the old "arkansas" stones so many of us gravitated towards that. I recall some really lousy quality "stainless" knives that had obvious voids and inclusions and that didn't help things either.

I never had a stainless steel knife I liked and respected until my first Spyderco which was stamped "G2" ( Gin 1 stainless steel). It was all 1095 before that for me from the late 60's until the early 90's.

I still have probably 50 or more 1095 knives sitting around in boxes all these years later and I still carry old slip joints around in 1095. Super easy to sharpen and they cut really well with the very thin blades . Try picking up an old inexpensive Imperial Jackmaster USA carbon steel barlow or Green box Remington Barlow knife , give it a quick sharpening and use it. It just might surprise you. There are plenty of NOS or similar condition knives on Ebay for $12-15 including shipping.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

VandymanG wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:15 am
I don’t get steels like 1095. Why are so many hunting, camping, hiking knives made from this steel? It’s not tough and it doesn’t have good edge retention so I just don’t get it.

The bottom line here is because it has a long history of working.

1095 has a variety of uses in knives, all depends on the heat treatment, design and geometry.

Just like every other steel out there that you can make knife blades out of.

1095 isn't my favorite steel either, but it does indeed have a long history and is still very popular with the bladesmiths who forge their blades.

There is no best steel, or worst steel in general.

They all have their uses and those all depend on heat treatment, blade design, blade geometry, edge geometry, and most importantly intended use.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The popular carbon steel 1095 is not only popular with custom knife makers but I could name you at least 4 to 6 manufacturers that use it and use it a lot. Take the TOPS knife company for instance practically 90% of everything they've ever made was with 1095.

I've owned a couple of knives recently with 1095 and it does have some positive features to it. First off it sharpens up nicely and it's not hard to sharpen like many of these highly advanced stainless steels are. I've also noticed in the past 3 years that several striking tools like axes, hatchets and hawks are commonly made with 1095. And I've never heard anyone complain much about it.

Unless of course you are a steel snob like many of us here at Spyderville are. But all in all it's pretty dependable and relatively easy to work with.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:46 am
Not every knife steel has to be Magnacut or M390, and there are different steels for different applications and most of those applications are manufacturing, not knife making. The fact that we are seeing high edge retention steels is great, but it may not be by design...they may not have been intended for knife blades at all. We are lucky that there are a few manufacturers that make knives in high edge retention steels and the economy can absorb them.

People buying Spyderco knives are willing to invest the time to learn about the steels and then open their wallets. I do not think even 25% of the mass market is "educated" with regard to different steels and what they are missing out on.

I am sure that knife makers have a different opinion but the reason why they use some steels are is they are cheap and widely available. There are a lot of cheap steels out there, 1095 is just one of them. Some makers like Randall use O1 and after thinking long and hard about it, I cancelled 3 to 5 knives that I had ordered back a few years because I just was not that into the steels they use.

Don't forget, Cold Steel disappointed many when it dropped CTS-XHP due to availability. At least that is what they claimed was the reason.

I am not going to look up or try to calculate the price difference between Magnacut and 1095 knives, but I am sure there are differences in base cost plus machining. The makers have to be able to find buyers. Spyderco is unique in that they have worked with so many different types of steel. Most bladesmiths/manufacturers do not want to deal with the headaches.

I dunno, I would put my Randall Model #14 in Stainless (Or O1 for that matter) up against any other knife designed for hard field use of like size.

I wouldn't sneeze at Randalls, don't under estimate them. ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

O1 has some of the best sharpening response of any steel I've sharpened. It'll rust just by existing but it's a dream to sharpen.
:unicorn
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:06 pm
The popular carbon steel 1095 is not only popular with custom knife makers but I could name you at least 4 to 6 manufacturers that use it and use it a lot. Take the TOPS knife company for instance practically 90% of everything they've ever made was with 1095.

I've owned a couple of knives recently with 1095 and it does have some positive features to it. First off it sharpens up nicely and it's not hard to sharpen like many of these highly advanced stainless steels are. I've also noticed in the past 3 years that several striking tools like axes, hatchets and hawks are commonly made with 1095. And I've never heard anyone complain much about it.

Unless of course you are a steel snob like many of us here at Spyderville are. But all in all it's pretty dependable and relatively easy to work with.
I’m guilty. But I wasn’t until I discovered this forum. Well except that I didn’t knowingly have any 1095 knives or axes. Unless case knives are made out of 1095, I was given my grandfathers. But yeah I’m very much a steel snob now and I’m liking it.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:14 pm

I still have probably 50 or more 1095 knives sitting around in boxes all these years later and I still carry old slip joints around in 1095. Super easy to sharpen and they cut really well with the very thin blades . Try picking up an old inexpensive Imperial Jackmaster USA carbon steel barlow or Green box Remington Barlow knife , give it a quick sharpening and use it. It just might surprise you. There are plenty of NOS or similar condition knives on Ebay for $12-15 including shipping.
Oh wow, I read everything I can find posted by you. Thank you! I will look into the suggestions above. I just started wondering about 1095 because I bought a Boker Micro Tracker and it is very thick. I’m so use to the thin slicey knives that it confused me a lot about 1095 popularity.
Greg

VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:41 pm
O1 has some of the best sharpening response of any steel I've sharpened. It'll rust just by existing but it's a dream to sharpen.
I have a bearded axe that use to be a roofing axe. I had a lot of fun hand sanding that axe. Did it all with sandpaper. I’ll search my photos later and post them.
Greg

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:07 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:46 am

I dunno, I would put my Randall Model #14 in Stainless (Or O1 for that matter) up against any other knife designed for hard field use of like size.

I wouldn't sneeze at Randalls, don't under estimate them. ;)
I like the designs, the patterns for Randall knives, not the steels.

I prefer your Spyderco design in 4V over an O1 Randall. I'd rather pay $650+ for a 4V "Randall," than $550 for an O1 Randall.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Know idea about Randall knives. Going to have to look them up now.
Greg

VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Thanks everyone. Knew I could count on you all to help me understand. I love how you all responded and helped me learn more. Love the learning aspect of the Spyderco forum and the members.
Greg

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

VandymanG wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:29 pm
Thanks everyone. Knew I could count on you all to help me understand. I love how you all responded and helped me learn more. Love the learning aspect of the Spyderco forum and the members.
Steve Kelly Bany Skinner Custom in 1095 . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thank you! I will look into the suggestions above.
Thanks. Let me know if you are having trouble finding something to your liking. I can see if I have one to send.

Joe
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have only one 1095 knife, my Esee Laser Strike.

I was really underwhelmed with its edge retention at first, especially since they claim that the Randall heat treat of this steel would get out the best of it.
After some sharpenings (getting rid of the factory edge) and a crude reprofiling to a more acute edge angle (it came really obtuse) the edge retention got noticeably better, but still is far from something to write home about.

Now what some folks, especially "oldtimers", claim is that basic carbon steels give you a toughness most other steels can´t.
Obviously, looking at modern metallurgy, this is not true.
Still I have to say: Before I got dedicated no spin throwing knives my Laser Strike was my main thrower for quite a while - and the blade held up really well to that extreme abuse, for which it definitely was not designed - and the steel not heat treated for.
No real damage, just slight chips and rolls, tip completely intact, despite hitting rocks, hard wood, and so on with much force.
Sure partly that will be due to the actually rather "non slicey", but brutally robust built of the Laser Strike (spear point, sabre grind), but also speaks for what 1095 can take.

/ And yes, I agree with Vivi: 1095 sharpens up very quickly and easily! And I am sure this could be done on the often mentioned "river rock" in a pinch.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

VandymanG wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:22 pm
Know idea about Randall knives. Going to have to look them up now.
Let me know if you have questions about Randall knives . I have been using mine since early 80’s in 01 and 440C . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:54 pm
VandymanG wrote:

The bottom line here is because it has a long history of working.
This is probably my favorite answer. When I first got into knives, it was appealing to me to get a knife that was made from steel that has been working, and working well, since WWII. It resharpens well, which is a favorite characteristic of mine to have in a steel, and while it is considered to have low edge retention (not arguing there) I have never needed it to be better, and when it sharpens so easily, it is a non issue for many people. It also isn't considered better than average toughness, if you look at Larrin Thomas's charts for example, but it can be used for full on broad swords, so it's tough enough for me. In addition, geometry is the biggest factor in cutting performance, so with the right geometry it can cut very well, and maintain a pretty good edge if it is thin enough.

It is also favored by many makers because it is inexpensive, easy to machine and finish, and very well understood. For bladesmiths forgability is good too.

The only things that I don't like about 1095 are one, it is a little harder to heat treat than some other steels like 1084 and 80crV2. It requires a fast quenching oil, which obviously can be had, it is just a bit more finicky. And two, is that the original spec for 1095 has too much variance in it's recipe, so legitimate grades of 1095 can be quite different from each other and your heat treat will come out different with each one. Some suppliers have helped alleviate this, such as Alpha Knife Supply and New Jersey Steel Baron, by holding there particular blend of 1095 to tighter tolerances, but once you pick a supplier you tend to want to stick with it because it will be different than another supplier's.

So me, I like 1095, maybe not as much as 80crV2 or 52100 for example, but in general it is just dandy for what I prefer.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:46 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:54 pm
VandymanG wrote:
....., but it can be used for full on broad swords, so it's tough enough for me. .....

Really? They do that? Honest question, I thought for a sword they´d rather go with 1065...

That and as in my previous post said already: In my use 1095 has been plenty tough too.
I´ll put the pic from my previous post down here again: You can see that the tip of that Laser strike has no coating on it at all anymore, while the rest of the blade does.
This comes from a lot of throwing (where obviously the tip gets the most "use") - and the blade held up really well to that extrem (mis)- use.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)