Where Have all the Calys Gone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mrj

Re: Where Have all the Calys Gone?

Post by Mrj »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:11 pm
Serrated Yojimbo and more Calys?

MRj “Weak things break!”
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:12 pm
Thanx for posting that video link. I think it's something that all knife afi's should watch. Mike Janich, in my opinion, is one of the best knife designers of our time. One of the really important things about Mike is that there is no BS. His concepts re very well thought out, and if he says it, then you can expect that he's done it. He is all about the cut, and not the visual. Also, he's constantly learning and evolving in his thinking, which means later designs have the "edge" of his evolving.

One argument for the constant curved cutting edge is the single point aspect of the edge in a strike. That's a strike with the edge making first contact, like in a Katana were the edge and not the tip is first contact.

We've not made a serrated Yojmbo, mostly because as Michael says, it can hand up in clothing. Though I think a carefully sharpened serration, like Davids thread will go through clothing just fine, in my opinion. I think I'd like to make a serrated Yojimbo, at least as a Sprint for those interested. I would also like to make a Yojimbo with Michael's deep high hollow to a very thin edge. At least as a Sprint. I didn't want to make it at the time because the concept was quite foreign to most knife people, but I think that now it would gain enough traction to be worth a try.

sal
Spoken like a true blade afi. It always makes me smile when you share your wisdom sal. Thank you for how you’ve pushed the envelope in pocket friendly/compact leaf bladed edc folders. Again, can’t wait to see the new introductions into the calypso family
:bug-red-white
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Sal:

Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm humbled and honored.

Back when the first-gen Yojimbo was still in the works, I took a Rescue 93mm and reground it to a Wharncliffe. That "RescueJimbo" had a very aggressive SpyderEdge tooth pattern and, in testing with Pork Man clothed in loose denim, did snag quite a bit. Interestingly, Cold Steel's serrations did not snag very much and cut almost as cleanly as a PlainEdge. Their serration pattern, however, was extremely difficult to sharpen and the tips of the teeth were prone to breaking off.

I'm definitely up for a serrated Wharnie, but I think we'd have to do some modifying of the BTE thickness and the size of the serrations to make it a worthy choice for MBC applications.

Again, thank you for your kindness.

Stay safe,

Mike
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:30 am
Dear Sal:

Back when the first-gen Yojimbo was still in the works, I took a Rescue 93mm and reground it to a Wharncliffe. That "RescueJimbo" had a very aggressive SpyderEdge tooth pattern and, in testing with Pork Man clothed in loose denim, did snag quite a bit. Interestingly, Cold Steel's serrations did not snag very much and cut almost as cleanly as a PlainEdge. Their serration pattern, however, was extremely difficult to sharpen and the tips of the teeth were prone to breaking off.

I'm definitely up for a serrated Wharnie, but I think we'd have to do some modifying of the BTE thickness and the size of the serrations to make it a worthy choice for MBC applications.

Stay safe,

Mike
Mike/Sal,

Any thoughts on using serrations similar to the Taichung Caribbean serrations? They are more wavy, easier to sharpen, and less prone to snagging. Would love to see them on more knives but not sure on manufacturing limitations or other reasons they haven’t been used on other knives. Maybe the new Chaparral?
:bug-red-white Para Military 2, Sage 1, Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue, Delica 4 LW FFG, Delica 4 LW Wharncliffe 20CV (KnifeJoy), Persistence, Resilience, Bow River, Stretch 2 XL SE, UKPK Salt, UKPK Drop Point Red G10 (Heinnie Haynes), Caribbean SE, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Wharncliffe, Endela, Salt 2 (RIP - Galveston Bay), Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (RIP - Gulf of Mexico), Centofante III (sold) :bug-red-white
Tristan_david2001

https://youtu.be/DOgjyncIFQo?si=FiZdpmPM1R-QQXNf
lol this dude knows what’s up
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:12 pm
Thanx for posting that video link. I think it's something that all knife afi's should watch. Mike Janich, in my opinion, is one of the best knife designers of our time. One of the really important things about Mike is that there is no BS. His concepts re very well thought out, and if he says it, then you can expect that he's done it. He is all about the cut, and not the visual. Also, he's constantly learning and evolving in his thinking, which means later designs have the "edge" of his evolving.

One argument for the constant curved cutting edge is the single point aspect of the edge in a strike. That's a strike with the edge making first contact, like in a Katana were the edge and not the tip is first contact.

We've not made a serrated Yojmbo, mostly because as Michael says, it can hand up in clothing. Though I think a carefully sharpened serration, like Davids thread will go through clothing just fine, in my opinion. I think I'd like to make a serrated Yojimbo, at least as a Sprint for those interested. I would also like to make a Yojimbo with Michael's deep high hollow to a very thin edge. At least as a Sprint. I didn't want to make it at the time because the concept was quite foreign to most knife people, but I think that now it would gain enough traction to be worth a try.

sal
Please Sal, do this !!! It might be the ultimate cutting blade IMO. Not only suited for self defence but also an awesome slicer. A thin bte(and thinner blade stock) deep hollow ground Yojimbo !!! Man, I would be in heaven.
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:30 am
Dear Sal:

Stay safe,

Mike
What about a plain edge thinner bte(and thinner blade stock) Yojimbo , mr. Janich ? This would be the ultimate cutting blade in my book. Not only suited for MBC but also an awesome slicer and edc. Please ! A sprint maybe ?! 🙏
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For several years now I've wondered why the C-52 Caly Jr. never made it back to the main line up. I've also often wondered why the Caly Jr. got deleted from the main line up to begin with. Oh I'm sure there were business reasons as is usually the case when a model is discontinued.

But I personally can't ever remember a time when the Caly Jr. wasn't loved and coveted. It was actually one of the very few small Spyderco folders that I EDCed at one time. The entire Calypso Series were another sterling example of Spyderco's great IN HOUSE designs.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:26 am
What about a plain edge thinner bte(and thinner blade stock) Yojimbo , mr. Janich ? This would be the ultimate cutting blade in my book. Not only suited for MBC but also an awesome slicer and edc. Please ! A sprint maybe ?! 🙏
The Yojimbo 2 and YoJumbo are already pretty thin BTE by virtue of their deep hollow grinds. Thinner blade stock wouldn't change that much and would probably require a different lock, since thin stock and Compression Locks do not go together well engineering-wise. Blade steels that support a more acute apex really allow Yos to shine...

Stay safe,

Mike
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:13 am
elena86 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:26 am
The Yojimbo 2 and YoJumbo are already pretty thin BTE by virtue of their deep hollow grinds. Thinner blade stock wouldn't change that much and would probably require a different lock, since thin stock and Compression Locks do not go together well engineering-wise. Blade steels that support a more acute apex really allow Yos to shine...

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks and apologize for derailing the thread but for a moment I envisioned a “high performance” Yojimbo and I was extatic 😀
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

TimButterfield wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:23 pm
I don't have a Centofante, but have some others. Here are some comparison images. Top to bottom or back to front: Stretch 2 XL, Endura 4, Para 3, Delica 4, Caly 3.5, Native 5 Salt.
That Caly 3.5 looks like it has a fantastic carry profile!
toomanyquestions

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:23 pm
Here are some comparison pix.
Thank you -- very helpful pictures. ...There should be a thread of such pictures to help inquisitive buyers.
toomanyquestions

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:52 am
https://youtu.be/DOgjyncIFQo?si=FiZdpmPM1R-QQXNf
lol this dude knows what’s up
Reminds me of "Ask A Ninja" from years ago. ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

here's my old zdp189 caly jr i converted to full convex. it was very thin, well below 10dps at the apex prior to eventually being given a microbevel to avoid chipping out when whittling knotty hard woods.

put the factory profile to shame.
:unicorn
Tristan_david2001

Sweet pic vivi. The factory profile is one of the thinnest factory folding knife blades I’ve felt out by the edge, and it cuts incredibly well from my experience. I imagine that must have been an insanely great slicer when brought down that thin though!
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:15 pm
TimButterfield wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:23 pm
I don't have a Centofante, but have some others. Here are some comparison images. Top to bottom or back to front: Stretch 2 XL, Endura 4, Para 3, Delica 4, Caly 3.5, Native 5 Salt.
That Caly 3.5 looks like it has a fantastic carry profile!
It is very easy to carry with the deep clip and the rounded off handle end where the clip is. If you notice the others in that list, there is a bit of a point at the end of some handles and none of the other clips are deep carry like the Caly. I prefer this, but then not all wire clips are deep carry either. It's nice this one is. Then again, while the choil and thumb ramp are good for the grip, I prefer the texture of the G10/CF Chap, to the pure gloss finish of the Caly CF. On the plus side, that aspect does make it easier to slide in/out of the pocket.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:24 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Thank you -- very helpful pictures. ...There should be a thread of such pictures to help inquisitive buyers.
Happy to help. A comparison picture thread would turn into a useless quagmire with so many models to compare. More efficient to ask for specific comparisons than wading through page after page only to discover the one you have and the one you want have never appeared together.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:24 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
There is an “Official Knife Comparison Pic Thread” in the Photo Gallery Sub-forum.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69106
-Nick :bug-red
toomanyquestions

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:43 pm
Happy to help. A comparison picture thread would turn into a useless quagmire with so many models to compare....wading through page after page only to discover the one you have and the one you want have never appeared together.
I hadn't thought of it that way.....
toomanyquestions

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:12 pm
There is an “Official Knife Comparison Pic Thread” in the Photo Gallery Sub-forum.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69106
I will look into it.