Has anybody been testing H2 yet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Has anybody been testing H2 yet?

Post by James Y »

I ask out of curiosity. Because when it was announced that H1 would be discontinued and replaced with H2, it seemed to have touched off a minor "acquire as many available H1 knives while I still can" panic. Okay, "panic" may be an exaggeration, but the fear seemed to be that H2 was somehow going to be different or inferior to H1.

So, if anyone has any H2 models: Have you noticed any perceptible differences between it and H1 in terms of corrosion resistance, edge holding, sharpening, toughness, etc.?

Jim
SchoonerBum

Re: Has anybody been testing H2 yet?

Post by SchoonerBum »

I haven’t done any remotely scientific testing but I’ve carried an H2 Atlantic Salt every day at work for the past year or so. I haven’t noticed any difference between H1 and H2 but I would love to hear if anyone has.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hi James ! Salty commented this week that he has not seen a difference between the two steels . I respect his observations. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

It's virtually the same chemistry, I mean just barely/slightly different. Why would anyone expect it to behave different in a meaningful way? I personally can't see any reason to hoard H1 over H2, in most people's use I'd expect zero measurable benefits.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks, guys!

I figured that the only noticeable difference between H1 and H2 is the number that's stamped on the blade after the H.

Jim
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I use both H1 and H2 knives at work quite a bit. Zero noticeable difference (in SE anyway).
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:19 am
I use both H1 and H2 knives at work quite a bit. Zero noticeable difference (in SE anyway).
Good to know... a Stretch XL SE in H2 as a hard use companion for my VG10 (ffg) SE variant is pretty much a must for me eventually... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've had the Salt Hawkbill SE in H2 for some time now and I've seen no discernable difference between it and my H1 Salts.

I too am looking forward to the Stretch 2 XL in H2 SE. That high hollow grind in the release pics looks pretty irresistable.