The Spyderco CULT CLASSICS Survey

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: The Spyderco CULT CLASSICS Survey

Post by Bolster »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:47 pm
Can you tell from the results whether recently discussed models like the Ayoob and Manix lockback did any better in the poll than more obscure models like the Oscelot?

Can do:

Big Manix Lockback = 7 votes.
Ocelot = 7 votes.
80mm ("Little") Manix Lockback = 5 votes.
Ayoob = 4 write-ins.

Divide by 131 and multiply by 100 to get percentages.

Do you like the Ocelot an awful lot? :smiling-cheeks

JSumm wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:46 pm
Maybe the PPT Perrin needs it's own thread. Very intrigued by the design footprint. Looks like a stellar EDC knife. I bet there would be a ton of interest. Seems like some new popular models from others have a similar footprint. The time to strike may be now!

Hey if you and/or Mushroom want to lead that parade, I'll march in it! I'd love to purchase a reissued Perrin PPT. I wonder how well it sold originally?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:35 am
riclaw wrote:
Can you tell from the results whether recently discussed models like the Ayoob and Manix lockback did any better in the poll than more obscure models like the Oscelot?

Can do:

Ocelot = 7 votes.
Ayoob = 4 write-ins.

JSumm wrote:
Maybe the PPT Perrin needs it's own thread. Very intrigued by the design footprint. Looks like a stellar EDC knife. I bet there would be a ton of interest. Seems like some new popular models from others have a similar footprint. The time to strike may be now!

Hey if you and/or Mushroom want to lead that parade, I'll march in it! I'd love to purchase a reissued Perrin PPT. I wonder how well it sold originally?
I had the Ocelot, very comfy in hand , but the paw prints were a nuisance keeping clean . Definitely would not use hunting but a nice edc . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:49 am
Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:35 am
riclaw wrote:

Can do:

Ocelot = 7 votes.
Ayoob = 4 write-ins.

JSumm wrote:

I had the Ocelot, very comfy in hand , but the paw prints were a nuisance keeping clean . Definitely would not use hunting but a nice edc . Dan
Yeah I totally agree with you on that one. If they ever did a Sprint Run of the OCELOT without those pesky indented paw prints I would sure be in line to buy one. It was an ideal size to be sure. I liked most of those Wegner designs.

I still think the C-60 Ayoob is the "Ultimate" of all the cult classic Spyderco models.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Bolster, I love the blade shape of the Ocelot and I agree with JD that it's the "ideal size". I'd love to see a sprint run. Paw prints could be molded into the FRN.
- Richard
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Add me to the list of big fans of the Ocelot! I love the design but unfortunately Spyderco no longer owns the rights to any of Tim Wegner’s designs. Limited runs do not seem feasible anymore.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

riclaw wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:28 pm
Bolster, I love the blade shape of the Ocelot and I agree with JD that it's the "ideal size". I'd love to see a sprint run. Paw prints could be molded into the FRN.
Sadly there probably never be another Ocelot . Wenger designs are not possible at Spyderco . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:59 pm
riclaw wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:28 pm
Sadly there probably never be another Ocelot . Wenger designs are not possible at Spyderco . MG2
I haven't even looked into Tim Wegner's "Blade-Tech" company in quite a while. For a time he was producing some of his C-48 and MOUSE models at BladeTech but I haven't seen nor heard of any activity as of late.

I was always fond of the MOUSE model but I sold both of mine about 4 years ago. His C-48 design he did for Spyderco was a great hunter/folder. But again I'm not sure what Mr. Wegner is up to these days.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

My local knife shop has a large Wegner folder made by Blade-Tech.
It’s almost exactly the same size as the large Spyderco Wegner.
It has an open back and seems to be couple ounces lighter too.

I’ve had my eye on it for about 3 or 4 years but have never pulled
The trigger…it’s too much like the Spyder knife. About $150.

The owner sold the shop to enjoy his golden years in retirement.
I’ll probably snag it soon. Great guy, I will miss his awesome store.
c113cf caly3, c134 g.bradley ,c90 cf stretch,
c55 starmate, c66 vesuvius(x2), c39 mini-dyad
c56 zowada, c11cf delica, Spyderco (Wegner) Mouse,
c49 wegner jr, c83 persian, ladybug (x2), C101 Manix2
c05 standard(x2), c65cf Lum Chinese, c48 wegner, jester(x2)
Red&Black

Post by Red&Black »

Hello new to forum and recently spyderco’s. Today I’m carrying BBB shaman. I don’t have many spyderco’s but it’s hard to decide at times which to carry. I’ve enjoyed them more than my Benchmade’s. I don’t think they have been out of their boxes in the last couple of months.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Red&Black:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:43 am
Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:28 am
If the two folks (out of 133) who took the survey multiple times are reading this: Your attempt to game the results is unethical, as well as unsuccessful.

It was the Russians and the North Koreans creating fake accounts and trying to influence voters. They tried to steal the survey! What were they trying to promote? The Szabo? The Captain? Those monsters!

Sorry, but I didn't vote. None of the choices really excited me. I'm really a fan of the current lineup.

No guys, you handled it yourself as usual.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DerRock wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:16 am

Hi, DerRock.
Please don't think I was making fun of you guys. I was laughing at us Americans. If you read our news regularly, you'd notice the pattern that somebody is always upset about something. Here at the Spyderco Forum, about the only thing that people get upset about is when we miss out on a Sprint model or an Exclusive.

🇷🇺🤗🔪🥳🇺🇸
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:24 am
DerRock wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:16 am

Hi, DerRock.
Please don't think I was making fun of you guys. I was laughing at us Americans. If you read our news regularly, you'd notice the pattern that somebody is always upset about something. Here at the Spyderco Forum, about the only thing that people get upset about is when we miss out on a Sprint model or an Exclusive.

🇷🇺🤗🔪🥳🇺🇸
We all love Spyderco here, that's the main thing :bug-red-white :smiling-heart-eyes
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One of the top 5 Spyderco Cult Classics just has to be that ATS-55 era, G-10 Harpy model that they made over 20 years ago. I carried/EDCed one of those ATS-55, G-10 Harpy models for almost 7 years before it got stolen from me >:[ . And my heart has been aching ever since. That was the ultimate companion blade.

There has been a lot of people over the years asking for the return of the G-10 Harpy but so far the Great Spyder Factory has not granted our wish as of yet. But that's one of my top 3 Spyderco CULT CLASSIC models.

Heck I would even be happy with a remake of that first run Carbon Fiber HARPY. But that G-10 Harpy was an excellent hard use blade in SE.