What knife do you actually carry and use the most?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DavidNM

Re: What knife do you actually carry and use the most?

Post by DavidNM »

Lately it has been my Dragonfly. I was carrying my Lil’ Native but it took up too much room in my pocket so the switch to the Dragonfly.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

My most carried is my bugout, my most carried spyderco is my Pacific salt serrated or pm2, manix 2, shaman
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

My older pm2 and Manix 2 are probably used and carried most. They have scars from experiments/learning new skills in sharpening, poor cutting choices and several drops off of my roof. The scratches and dings make me less hesitant to actually use them over my newer knives. They are also perfect for almost every cutting task that I need in my life. The native salt is my travel/public places knife and The Pacific salt I use for gardening or any landscape work.
Just one more knife...
Windward

Post by Windward »

Full serrated atlantic salt in h1 and its not really close
Attachments
PSX_20231212_103948.jpg
Matus

Post by Matus »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:12 am
Urban is in N690Co… AFAIK
And you would be very much correct!
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

It may not be original, but the PM2 platform is my most carried. S90V and Cruwear get the most pocket time and use, but there are others that wiggle their way into the line up as I just recently got an S110V PM2 at the seconds sale. I have large hands and have recently started an exodus for my smaller knives, as I just feel like I'm going to get accidentally injured during use (small knife and handle geometry tends to end up with my fingers cut). Even at work I don't notice side-eye for the PM2 too much, particularly when it has a bright/fun handle color.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

My Delica and Salt 2 Wharnies. All the blade I need 99% of the time packed into a tiny indestructible little package. I'd do just about anything for a Cru-carta and G10-Cruwear version.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:21 am
IMG_3090.jpeg

Working in construction this is what's been in my work pants pocket for the last 2 years. I paid $23 on sale for it. I've searched for a Spyderco to replace it but the Tuff Lite is too near perfect to be replaced by the Salt 2 Wharncliffe, Native, or saber grind Endura. Made in Taiwan, Hollow ground thick blade stock, triad lock, and the whole knife is an ergonomic masterpiece. When I've been in the dirt and dust too long and it starts to feel gritty, I leave it clipped in my pants and let the washing machine clean it. It never rusts. It's basically a non-disposable blade folding utility knife, I treat it maliciously and it seems to almost enjoy it. I think it'd be nice if it was tip up carry but that might create a hotspot. It'd be cool if there was an option for a slightly upgraded steel like Aus10, 154cm, or 14c28n, but the Aus8 is a joy to sharpen after a day of flagrant abuse. I love my Spyderco's but I love the Tuff Lite like a dog I didnt want, everyday I love it a little bit more and now I don't ever want it to leave.
Those are great knives. They really cut and I mean CUT. I have a Mini Tuff Lite, still.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Cruwear Endela. I carry it every day, all my other knives have been collecting dust since the day I got it.
It really is the Goldilocks knife, imo.
IMG_1985.jpeg
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:40 pm
My Delica and Salt 2 Wharnies. I'd do just about anything for a Cru-carta and G10-Cruwear version.
Why not just buy some custom/aftermarket micarta or G-10 scales?

IMG_1987.jpeg
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Manbug Salt. Everyday office carry.

Military on weekends.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Haunted House wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:15 pm
Cruwear Endela. I carry it every day, all my other knives have been collecting dust since the day I got it.

IMG_1985.jpeg
I'm jealous. :')

Not really, but I love that knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

For me the knife that is carried the most, differs to the one I use the most.

The most carried is the UKPK Salt SE in LC200N. This is the knife I carry, when I'm out of the house. It just lives in the pocket of whatever pants I wear at the time for doing daily things. Of course I use it, too.
But in general just not as much as the Manix 2 G10 in CPM-15V. This is the knife I carry in and around the house and in general in my free time. It just so happens, that in this time more cutting is needed.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Spyderco Police 4 FRN K390
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

Like I mentioned I used to carry a Lil’ Native and now I have switched to a Dragonfly since it takes up some much less room. I notice most of the people who replied to this thread carry much larger knives.
How do you have room in your pockets? Between my keys, Space Pen, flashlight and cell phone I have like no more room in my front pockets! How do you all do it?
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Haunted House wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:15 pm

IMG_1985.jpeg
It really is a great knife. I’ve been favoring it over the pm2 lately
Just one more knife...
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

DavidNM wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:40 am
I notice most of the people who replied to this thread carry much larger knives.
How do you have room in your pockets? Between my keys, Space Pen, flashlight and cell phone I have like no more room in my front pockets! How do you all do it?
It helps to live in San Francisco where you can wear a coat 350 days a year. A light cotton coat will carry a lot of stuff. I do carry a Police 4 in my front pocket (501 jeans) with my keys. If you clip it to the edge of the pocket you can easily get your hand past it because it has a very hand friendly geometry (handle design).

Some knives have large footprints that block your hand. I find a G10 Para3 is harder to share pocket space with than the FRN Para3.

Even a large handle knife like Cold Steel's Recon 1 can have a geometry (shape) that is hand friendly. I carry one clipped inside my left hand pocket. It disappears thanks to the extra left hand carry clip they give you. Cold Steel does some good designs.

If you don't use the pocket clip, you are just filling up your pocket in an inefficient manner. Of course, sometimes you don't want a knife showing. :ninja
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Not my most used but my most carried for sure

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

At this point, and to nobody’s surprise, I think it’s a clean sweep for the DF2 k390 wharncliffe. It wins in both categories.

It lives in the back pocket of my jeans so it’s with me almost all day every day.

At work it’s a perfect companion for unsheathing cable, removing insulation, cutting cable ties and all kinds of detail/precision work. Because of its convenient size I can do all of the above even in a very restricted space. It also works great for more mundane tasks like opening packages or removing pallet straps.

After work it stays in my pocket and takes care of smaller tasks like opening plastic bags, boxes etc.
If I need more knife it’s typically associated with outdoor activities or more involved work/projects around the house. In both cases I’ll usually change to a suitable attire and a knife to match (though very often there’s already a very suitable knife clipped to the pants of my choice).

The DF2 has been my EDC go-to for a long time, but for outdoor and harder work the answer will vary quite a bit depending on the time frame we look at. If I narrow it down to the last year, I’d say the Native 5 salt is the most used AND carried in the outdoor category, while it’s probably a tie between the TRL Endela and TRL Endura for a “hard work” knife.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

DavidNM wrote:
Like I mentioned I used to carry a Lil’ Native and now I have switched to a Dragonfly since it takes up some much less room.
I have to agree. It’s not that it’s so much larger, but it carries awkwardly compared to a DF2. It’s a little chubby for its size and with the harder edges it feels a bit bulky in the pocket. I’m beyond happy with my DF2, but might still give the LW a try just to satisfy my curiosity.
DavidNM wrote:
I notice most of the people who replied to this thread carry much larger knives.
For the most part I both like and carry small to mid sized knives, but sometimes a larger knife still makes sense.
In both cases I tend to carry in my right back pocket. It solves the organization conundrum for me.
When I carry my DF2 it goes clipless in the bottom of my RBP, while the larger knives that carry on my spare time when appropriate, I carry clipped inside my RBP.

While I do use my knives a fair bit, I both use and depend on my phone even more, so every time I’ve tried to carry something else than my phone RFP I just find it very unnatural. The knife is just as accessible and easy to deploy and put back in pocket when I carry in my back pocket, so that’s what I’ve settled on.

I’ve ditched my keys completely. They are an ergonomic disaster. Some need to carry their keys, but for quite a few I think it’s just an old habit that refuses to die.

So for me the remaining pocket space is assigned to:
LFP; AAA flashlight in the bottom and a slim leather wallet riding on top. Occasionally a pen or mechanical pencil clipped to the rear corner.
LBP; ear plugs
Coin/watch pocket; SAK Cadet.

I really dislike pocket bulk, but I can carry all of this in a pair of rather slim fitting jeans and hardly notice. And it doesn’t show/print either. My phone is the most noticeable item and isn’t even a very large one by today’s standards.

All of this, minus the watch (and phone used for the photo)

…fits without noticeable bulk into this: