Where Have all the Calys Gone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Where Have all the Calys Gone?

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

An older pic of mine — true Calys only, no Calypsos… OK, here’s some FRN Calypsos and UKPKs too. ;)

The Caly 3.5 VG-10 in black G10 was the first large Spydie I bought in early 2013 (I had picked up a G10 Manbug a few weeks before), and it’s been a crazy ride since then. The Caly series and the Kopas especially are probably my favorite series out of Japan and from that era, and I carry several of them routinely to this day. They all still operate like a charm and cut like a laser. Cheers, Radioactive

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85764
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

^ Now we know the answer to the question: "Where have all the Calys gone?"

Radioactive has them.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:51 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:34 pm
Looking forward to trying out the new full sized, Sal!
What qualifies as a “full sized” knife ?
As I see it 2.5 and 3” blades are still normal size for edc folders and still are big enough to get a full four finger grip. I think you mean large or even xl size?

I think size categorizations are really subjective - no right or wrong here.

To me for example Endura size is "full" or "regular", anything smaller fells, well, "small" to me. The milage of many will vary ;)

Also which parameters are the most important ones for determining size of a folder are really subjective imo:

For me, as long as I can get a good four finger grip on the actual handle, it´s cutting edge length that matters the most:

So a Stretch 1 (discoed, not the "2") with its 81 mm of cutting edge is a "larger" knife than a Manix with 73 mm for me.
It might be even shorter in handle length, but both offer a good four finger grip behind the choil (the Stretch 1 even a tad more space there), but the Stretch 1 also about 10 % more edge.
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

The Delica either not having a choil like the Meadowlark or more handle forward to choke up on the ricasso like the Jumpers leaves no way to get your index finger under your thumb when it's up against the thumb ramp and it drives me crazy. I hope this next time around the Caly's sales are stellar enough to stick around permanently and maybe offer a 3" lw version as well.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm excited about the 3.5 LW, and a Salty one to follow. I'm excited about the 4, then the 4 LW, and maybe even a Salty one of those too. This will be a great lineup.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Gernot, I had a 3.5. The blade fills the whole handle. 🔥 I think you will like that aspect.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I admit I haven't read every word of the thread, but I love the Caly! Screw construction?
So it goes.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

My safe queens

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
vivi wrote:
As I see it 2.5 and 3” blades are still normal size for edc folders and still are big enough to get a full four finger grip. I think you mean large or even xl size?
Wider than my palm when the knife is closed ;)

Only one Calypso folder meets my criteria for full sized ;)
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:19 am
The Delica either not having a choil like the Meadowlark or more handle forward to choke up on the ricasso like the Jumpers leaves no way to get your index finger under your thumb when it's up against the thumb ramp and it drives me crazy. I hope this next time around the Caly's sales are stellar enough to stick around permanently and maybe offer a 3" lw version as well.
That's funny I specifically look for knives that don't force my hand into grips where my thumb and index finger are stacked like that.

Maybe my thumb bones are longer than usual but it stopped feeling good for me to grip knives that way a long time ago.

I used to EDC the UKPK and for a bit the Calypso 3.

I had a ZDP189 Jr I took down to a full convex terminating in something like 6-8 degrees per side.

OG UKPK I took nearly as thin, plus a foliage green back-up to my user.

Caly 3, Caly 3 ZDP, and a back-up of each.

Caly 3.5

Calypso sprint.

The calypso was my favorite (surprise surprise) because I could grip it behind the choil comfortably. While I could try to squeeze my grip in behind the choil of the 3.5, it never felt good to me. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I'll poke around for my old collection photos.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:29 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
vivi wrote:
Wider than my palm when the knife is closed ;)

Only one Calypso folder meets my criteria for full sized ;)
Ok interesting. Was just curious. Thanks to u and wart for piling me with wink emojis
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:39 am
Gernot, I had a 3.5. The blade fills the whole handle. 🔥 I think you will like that aspect.

I can´t wait for the LW - not only, but also cause of the amazing (for a folder WITH choil) edge to handle ratio (even better than on the Stretch 1).

Two aspects though remain to be seen and checked, when it comes to the personal preferences I´ve developed over the course of my "knife journey" so far:

1.) I more and more prefer "meat" beneath the index finger - so where the index finger normally sits, the handle (choil) should be rather wide, generally and in relation to the rest (back) of the handle.
Not too keen on TOO deep, recessed choils and/or handles that are thin/less substantial beneath the index finger
Not sure how the 3.5 will be in that regard

2.) I prefer rather straight edges to "curvy" ones (so rather a more or less straight long edge section over a pronounced continuous curve)
Also not sure how the Caly 3.5 does here, but I know that I will try and enjoy the design in any case. Backlock, 3.00 blade stock, rather "low" tip - great!
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well, I will add to the chorus Sal that I am excited for every new, revised, or re-release iteration of the Caly series y'all come up with. Including the pendant knife! Listening to your story at Blade Show a couple of years ago about the makers in Moki has me hoping for a robust and thriving plant in their future. Personally, the Caly 3.5 is about the perfect EDC knife design that can thrive in almost any situation. There will always be a better tool or knife for specific purposes, but for a formal event to shaving off some caulk from an old trim board the Caly 3.5 does it with style while feeling like it is a part of your hand.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

For yet another comparison, here is a Caly 3.5 along with a bunch of different Spydies. If you need some isolated comparisons of any of these, let me know.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:43 am
cabfrank wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:39 am

I can´t wait for the LW - not only, but also cause of the amazing (for a folder WITH choil) edge to handle ratio (even better than on the Stretch 1).

Two aspects though remain to be seen and checked, when it comes to the personal preferences I´ve developed over the course of my "knife journey" so far:

1.) I more and more prefer "meat" beneath the index finger - so where the index finger normally sits, the handle (choil) should be rather wide, generally and in relation to the rest (back) of the handle.
Not too keen on TOO deep, recessed choils and/or handles that are thin/less substantial beneath the index finger
Not sure how the 3.5 will be in that regard

2.) I prefer rather straight edges to "curvy" ones (so rather a more or less straight long edge section over a pronounced continuous curve)
Also not sure how the Caly 3.5 does here, but I know that I will try and enjoy the design in any case. Backlock, 3.00 blade stock, rather "low" tip - great!
I’d say it really depends on what you’re cutting, a lot of belly will slice and cut deeper and straight geometry’s cut with more precise control. A negative angled/low tip leaf blade with a gradual continuous belly seems to be the best compromise in versatility and works great for precise utility and slicing incredibly well too.
And while I don’t really have any knocks against the Calys ergos I agree I prefer a choil not quite as pronounced and deep. Like the original calypso models with slightly stouter profiles and shallower index choils. But I do like the thumb ramps better on the calys. 🤔I find both the calypsos and caly models to have very comfortable choils for very compact size profiles, but the jr. Choil does fit my finger a little better
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I guess I might as well throw this one out there.

vivi

Post by vivi »

TimButterfield wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:17 am
For yet another comparison, here is a Caly 3.5 along with a bunch of different Spydies. If you need some isolated comparisons of any of these, let me know.
good picture, shows how much the chief and caly line have in common.

Gernot, if you prefer more meat around the choil area, the Chief might be your answer.

For anyone not married to the thumb ramp, the chief is a good alternative to trying to track down a c54.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:41 pm
I guess I might as well throw this one out there.

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:19 pm
Does anyone have any pictures of the Caly 3.0 / 3.5 next to some other current production folders?

I am also looking for a summation of the Caly's virtues / vices. It sounds as if it is simple-slicey?

For me, the Caly and the Centofante are two models I need to know more about. Someone please educate me. :)
Well, I have a Caly 3, a 3.5, and a Centofante 3&4 as well as a few current production folders (well, maybe more than a few). What would you like to see compared?
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Military 1
Pacific Salt
Caly 3.5
Delica wharncliffe Salt
Caly 3 hap40
Astute
Kiwi 4
Caly jr. Zdp
Lil' Native