Where Have all the Calys Gone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Where Have all the Calys Gone?

Post by Wartstein »

SaintZvlkx wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:45 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:00 pm
Ya, no.

The choil prevents the knife from being closed accidentally while open and the knife can be closed one-handed without the kind of risk a lockback entails.
Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:10 pm

No offense, but for the zillionst time:

- A backlock can easily be closed one handed in several good, perfectly safe ways.
- For those who care for that (I personally don´t): A backlock can even be closed one handed with fingers all the time out of the blade path no problem, just like a comp.lock or CBBL
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

There's no sense arguing about which is better, Caly 3 or UKPK. I have both and appreciate the virtues of both. I think it's fabulous that Spyderco gives both options. If you like one or the other then buy it and be happy
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I agree it’s fabulous they make both options. I was just responding to the fact they kinda made it sound like the caly design is inherently or objectively improved as a slip joint. Not trying to create an argument
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Tristan_david2001

I know for cost reasons Spyderco primarily does plastic handles nowadays. But I’d love to see some linen micarta handles featured again in the caly/calypso family.
The original c52 & c54 haven’t been topped imo for that reason primarily.
IMG_3675.jpeg
:unknown credit to this photo, I snapped it off Instagram quite awhile ago
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I like the ukpk. It served me well when I had to work in England with their silly laws but now that I'm back stateside, a lock back version would be awesome. Would definitely buy, particularly if they keep the ukpk's thinner stock.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Does anyone have any pictures of the Caly 3.0 / 3.5 next to some other current production folders?

I am also looking for a summation of the Caly's virtues / vices. It sounds as if it is simple-slicey?

For me, the Caly and the Centofante are two models I need to know more about. Someone please educate me. :)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Man all this Caly talk has me really wanting to check the secondary market 🤔
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

❤️ my Caly 3.5 in VG10 - bought her new in 2014 & she has seen a lot of action since that time!
Just a JOY to use and carry....
sal

Post by sal »

Talkin' Story;

As mentioned, the Caly 3 was a mid lock-back version of the UKPK, which was essentially designed by a group of British forumites on the original "British Blades" forum to service the need created by new British knife laws.

The original Calypso jr. didn't do as well as hoped and the larger Calypso didn't fair much better. I tried again with the Caly 3 though we did have a number of problems as the very skilled maker's family in Japan had a series of bad luck health setbacks from which they are just now recovering. (heart attacks, strokes, aneurysms, deaths, etc.) For a long time, we feared they would not recover. It's a multi generation relationship.

The current plan includes; a continuation of the Caly 3 in traditional carbon fiber, a Caly 3.5 (3.5" blade) in both traditional carbon fiber and a light weight version. A Caly 4 (4.0" blade) in carbon fiber. A Caly 2.5 (2.5" blade). And a necklace pendant miniature (non locking) in 4 handle variations. This will increase the size of the "family" and assuming all goes well, we can make variations (requested by you) in different materials.

Several years ago, a Mountain lion snatched a 4 year old boy from between his parents in a park in Texas, the boy's father chased the cat that was dragging the boy, into the forest. When he found them, the cat had his mouth over the boy's face trying to suffocate the boy. The father pounded on the cat with his fists, which he said had no effect. He remembered he had a Caly 3.5 in his pocket,which he opened and stabbed the cat in his side. He said he was surprised by how easily the blade penetrated the cat. At that point the cat ran off. The Dad's a real Hero, he saved his son and the family is safe from a harrowing experience. Local authorities found the cat dead in the forest not far off from the incident.

The Caly series is a particularly favorite design/concept for me as it has a very efficient blade shape for most tasks, mated to a fairly diminutive handle that is quite ergonomic. In the 3.5 and 4.0, the blade appears too large to fit into the handle, so there is a lot of blade in as easily carried package. It's really a combination of two family's working together to do this. Some see it as a gents folder, but the design has proven to handle harder tasks than it appears to be able to do.

It will not likely be a high volume series, even as a light weight due to the limited capacity of the maker, but we are pleased and proud to be able to provide this unusual folder series to you. We are also pleased that the original maker will be crafting them.

sal

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Great info Sal!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Looking forward to trying out the new full sized, Sal!
:unicorn
Tristan_david2001

You’re a legend Sal. While I’m super excited and eager to see the 2.5” and 4” Calys I do hope we could more sprints of the c52 and c52 at some point in the future
Tristan_david2001

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:34 pm
Looking forward to trying out the new full sized, Sal!
What qualifies as a “full sized” knife ?
As I see it 2.5 and 3” blades are still normal size for edc folders and still are big enough to get a full four finger grip. I think you mean large or even xl size?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

A Caly 3 in CF
a Caly 3.5 in CF
a Caly 3.5 LW (woohoo!)
a Caly 4 in CF
a Caly 2.5 and
a mini Caly…in 4 handles…

It’s raining Calys! Thanks Sal!!

With so much Caly goodness I shouldn’t ask, but: Is there a chance the CF could be a little grippier than what’s been on the previous 3 and 3.5? It’s pretty durn slick stuff. For instance, I like the feel of the Watu's CF lamination. Thanks!
Last edited by Bolster on Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m probably just weird but the Caly Pendant Series gets me the most excited! :grin-squint
-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:05 pm
I’m probably just weird but the Caly Pendant Series gets me the most excited! :grin-squint

Well...considering you're a Squarehead fan...

(I like your new avatar. Did you make that?)

Back to Sal's story above, it's just amazing to me that neither the Caly Jr, nor the full size Caly, were hot sellers. Even after all these years, and all these knives, the Caly Jr. is still a top favorite of mine. So lightweight, so capable, so pointy, such a long-lasting edge in ZDP. Sadly, I've never owned a full size Calypso. I think it was available for just one year, and I wasn't paying attention that year, darn it!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Bolster,

History moves at a rapid pace (faster as you get older). Can't catch all of the "blips" as they go by. ;)

sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:09 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:05 pm

Well...considering you're a Squarehead fan...

(I like your new avatar. Did you make that?)

Back to Sal's story above, it's just amazing to me that neither the Caly Jr, nor the full size Caly, were hot sellers. Even after all these years, and all these knives, the Caly Jr. is still a top favorite of mine. So lightweight, so capable, so pointy, such a long-lasting edge in ZDP. Sadly, I've never owned a full size Calypso. I think it was available for just one year, and I wasn't paying attention that year, darn it!
LOL! Yeah that’s one way to tell… I am just weird!

And thank you, I did make this avatar. One of many! :bug-white-red :respect
-Nick :bug-red
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Just when you think you’ve preordered all of the Spyderco knives you could possibly want, this comes along 😂
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Looks like I may be adding another style to my knife club.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2