CPM-S90V knife sharpening

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Grendal87

CPM-S90V knife sharpening

Post by Grendal87 »

My wife got me last year a custom knife made of CPM-S90V steel with a 25° angle. Well its now as dull as a spoon after a year of use in the trap shed. I got a lansky deluxe and have spent a solid week trying to sharpen it to no avail. Can't cut paper still.

Is there anything better then the lansky deluxe aluminium oxide kit that will restore my blade to a razor sharp edge and not take a month?
VashHash

Re: CPM-S90V knife sharpening

Post by VashHash »

I use DMT diamond stones. If you free hand they are really good. Also you could try the spyderco sharpmaker with diamond stones. I'm not sure how dull your knife is but you can also color the edge with a marker to make sure you're actually hitting the apex.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Diamond abrasives will work best with S90V. As mentioned, perhaps a Sharpmaker with diamond stones would work well for you, otherwise bench stones are best if your free hand sharpening skills are good. The sharpie trick is worth trying, and I recommend getting a 10x loupe to visually check what is going on with the edge, it will teach you a lot.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Grendal87

Post by Grendal87 »

VashHash wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:24 pm
I use DMT diamond stones. If you free hand they are really good. Also you could try the spyderco sharpmaker with diamond stones. I'm not sure how dull your knife is but you can also color the edge with a marker to make sure you're actually hitting the apex.
Dull enough I'm struggling to skin anything out in the trap shed. I dont typically free hand. Don't have the patience. I been using the marker trick and just watched it slowly get closer to the edge. It's baby hairs away and dont seem like its going any further.
Grendal87

Post by Grendal87 »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:19 pm
Diamond abrasives will work best with S90V. As mentioned, perhaps a Sharpmaker with diamond stones would work well for you, otherwise bench stones are best if your free hand sharpening skills are good. The sharpie trick is worth trying, and I recommend getting a 10x loupe to visually check what is going on with the edge, it will teach you a lot.
Huh never thought of a 10x loupe. I'll have to try that. Thank you.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

S90V is definitely not the easiest to sharpen when it's dull. I damaged a S90V knife before and it took a very long time to fix with a coarse diamond stone. It may take a while to see progress with ceramics.