Mystery Box

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Mystery Box

Post by Mushroom »

LeDe wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:27 pm
None of us, as customers, are entitled to buy these knives.

There is no “risk” in buying one of these mystery boxes. Not financially, at least. The value in the box is guaranteed to equal the price paid. (And they do, a $2 difference is basically irrelevant) I would definitely see some financial “risk” if they charged double the value inside the box with the slim chance of receiving the single jackpot exceeding the amount paid. That would feel like true gambling.

Also, yes, anyone can attend the traditional sale at the SFO. Their personal ability or inability to attend the sale in person, whatever the circumstance may be, is no ones responsibility but their own. It is definitely not Spyderco’s responsibility to make sure anyone who wants to buy a factory second knife can do so. It is commendable that they choose to do that by making some available online though! I very much understand how attending this sale in person can be cost and time prohibitive or even impossible, I just don’t empathize with it.

Spyderco is going out of their way to offer these seconds online. They’re already giving us a very generous opportunity and I do not believe they should be giving out further discounts on top of it all just because it’s a mystery box. I disagree, the value inside the boxes should not exceed the price paid. There’s no reason for them to be offering even more discounts on top of the ones they’re already offering. If the cost of the knives inside anyones mystery box exceeds what they paid, they should consider themselves extremely lucky because they got better pricing than even those who shop at the traditional sale in person.

lede wrote:“Now if they have the stock to organize those online sales, I'd rather be able to choose knives”
We did have the ability to choose knives online. Again, if the selection of knives that was available online was unsatisfactory, the option of shopping in person exists for the future.
LeDe wrote: Saying that they do not need to offload knives as they could just keep selling them in the factory sale. Then saying they have tons of them that keep being carried over is kinda contradictory.
No, it is not contradictory at all. Correlation does not equal causation.

They have a lot of inventory but not of everything. The knives that were listed individually tend to have an appreciable amount of inventory. Enough that listing some online won’t noticeably impact the inventory available for the traditional sale. The “premium” knives being put in these mystery boxes are not abundant, even in person. So few that they’re not worth listing individually. There could be one or two in the entire inventory. Putting them in mystery boxes ensures everyone has an equal opportunity to get something “premium.”
-Nick :bug-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I don’t like unintentional buying, so the mystery boxes have very little appeal to me.

In the hypothetical scenario where I’d buy one, I’d be fully aware that it’s a gamble with some upsides and some downsides.
The upsides being the ability to catch something very rare or something very sought after and at a good price no less.
Another less obvious upside is the chance to discover a new knife. One that maybe didn’t appeal on paper, that I’m unlikely to order as a deliberate purchase, but still manages to convince IRL.
Despite all these upsides, there’s very little risk involved in this gamble; you’re actually guaranteed to win your investment back.

So the only downside is really the risk of getting something you don’t need or want. For me that’s enough to not play, I already have enough stuff I don’t need. But that doesn’t make it a bad deal, and I have very little compassion with anyone that came out disappointed.

Even so it’s probably a good idea for Spyderco to clarify the “rules”. They are doing a good thing here, and it seems unnecessary that they should receive so much sour feedback for their efforts.
They’re obviously listening as so much is improved from the previous online seconds sale, so I suspect even this will be more clearly conveyed next time around.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aimark42 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:49 pm

$250 Seconds Mystery box

* (2) Sharpening Stones
* Stretch 2XL Lightweight, Black FRN, VG10
* Endura Zome Green FRN, VG10
* Paramilitary 2, Brown G-10, CPM-15V

I'm pretty pleased about the PM2 15V.

I am actually not interested in getting a "mystery box" myself, but that one would be great for my personal preferences! (Though I am not sure how I could "handle" 15V)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Danke wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:32 pm
Oh if only there was some way to spend $400 and get a premium knife in return.
Yeah, it would be amazing if that could happen. I can't imagine how though.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Ooh, what if it was first quality too?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I did not think mystery boxes were a mean to sell unsold items.

Spyderco has the largest line-up in any brand I've seen, except maybe stuff like WE, but it's rather new.
I can't imagine listing ALL of them for an online sale, a thing they make mostly for people who can't attend the in person sale.
It would add so much more work.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
KapitalG

Post by KapitalG »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:10 pm
KapitalG wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:39 am
$400 box, 2.5# in UPS notification

Delica 4 zome green
PM2 Tanto s30v dlc
Caribbean
and the....

PROVINCE
Dude!
You got a Province?
SCORE!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

KapitalG wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:36 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:10 pm
KapitalG wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:39 am
$400 box, 2.5# in UPS notification

Delica 4 zome green
PM2 Tanto s30v dlc
Caribbean
and the....

PROVINCE
Dude!
You got a Province?
SCORE!!
Wow. You got the Belle of the Ball imo
Congratulations
It's a helluva nice blade
I'll never understand why it was discontinued
They're a dang fortune on the 2ndary market
Matus

Post by Matus »

Well, I would not be surprised if Spyderco decided against offering Mystery Boxes with the next seconds' sale ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Matus wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:39 pm
Well, I would not be surprised if Spyderco decided against offering Mystery Boxes with the next seconds' sale ...
If they sell, why not. They sold out in minutes this sale, regardless of what people are saying there is demand, they are speaking with their wallets, people like them. They sold so fast even with the price point jump to $250/$400.

If at some point they stop selling well, then at that point Spyderco could stop selling them. But if you can make money on them and clear inventory then go for it.

It’s just the nature of a mystery box, you may or may not get what you want, nothing wrong with being disappointed. If I get a Shaman 15v and a lil native I will be excited. But if I get a vg-10 FRN and a kitchen knife I will be disappointed. There is no way to avoid this in a mystery box sale.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:33 pm
I'm late to the party, but is the point of buying a mystery box, to resell it? Is that the primary reason they're bought?

I'm so picky about knives I can't imagine forking over $400 for unknown knives to add to my collection.
Any internet feeding frenzy like this you can bet that most of the buyers are just scammers.

I'm picky about what I buy too, Odds are real low of me being happy with a random pick of knives so I don't go for mystery boxes. I'm really surprised that the value of included items based on the stickers on the items doesn't add up to well over the mystery box price. I don't understand people complaining about not receiving premium items, I've seen a lot of premium items posted in these messages. Considering the number of models produced by Spyderco a person can't expect to receive the one or two models that they personally think are premium.
Kaparaman

Post by Kaparaman »

bdblue wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:10 pm
Bolster wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:33 pm
I'm late to the party, but is the point of buying a mystery box, to resell it? Is that the primary reason they're bought?

I'm so picky about knives I can't imagine forking over $400 for unknown knives to add to my collection.
Any internet feeding frenzy like this you can bet that most of the buyers are just scammers.

I suggest you look up the definition of scammers before you throw that word around.
Kapara: S30V <3<3<3, 20CV
Shaman: Cruwear, 4V, S90V CF, 15V
Manix 2: 4V, M390, M390 DLC, 15V
PM2: Cruwear, S110V, 15V
Dodo: M4
Yojumbo: M4
Mule: 15V, T15
I forget the rest: ?, ?, ?....
Dream knife: Kapara S90V marble carbon fiber
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

Spyderco makes a lot more knives I don't like than knives I do like, so buying a mystery box was never even a consideration for me. I do think it was a bit misleading on Spyderco's part to say the $400 boxes would contain a premium knife when the majority of the $400 boxes I've seen posted do not contain what I'd consider a premium knife. Mystery boxes are always a gamble, but the Instagram post made them seem like the risk could pay off big time, and I'm just not seeing it.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Subverto wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:50 am
Spyderco makes a lot more knives I don't like than knives I do like, so buying a mystery box was never even a consideration for me. I do think it was a bit misleading on Spyderco's part to say the $400 boxes would contain a premium knife when the majority of the $400 boxes I've seen posted do not contain what I'd consider a premium knife. Mystery boxes are always a gamble, but the Instagram post made them seem like the risk could pay off big time, and I'm just not seeing it.
The problem is the Mystery Box people that got the lucky Mystery Box knives aren’t here complaining. So the good to bad is skewed ;)

But I’m with you on the Spyderco makes more I don’t want than ones I do like,(which is more size than anything) so Mystery Boxes aren’t my go.

And the complaints I’ve read all over social media about the $247 in a $250 Mystery box….. :astonished To carry on about $3 on a probably $200 saving is just weird.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
phaust

Post by phaust »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:48 am
Subverto wrote:
The problem is the Mystery Box people that got the lucky Mystery Box knives aren’t here complaining. So the good to bad is skewed ;)

But I’m with you on the Spyderco makes more I don’t want than ones I do like,(which is more size than anything) so Mystery Boxes aren’t my go.

And the complaints I’ve read all over social media about the $247 in a $250 Mystery box….. :astonished To carry on about $3 on a probably $200 saving is just weird.
To be fair the point of grouped items and mystery box type sales is to get rid of a bunch of stuff no one is buying. Usually the tradeoff for the customer is you get more than face value in exchange for not being able to pick what you get. At just face value you might as well buy only/exactly what you want and nothing else.

Agreed most people are probably silently satisfied though
standy99

Post by standy99 »

phaust wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:07 am
standy99 wrote:
Subverto wrote:

To be fair the point of grouped items and mystery box type sales is to get rid of a bunch of stuff no one is buying. Usually the tradeoff for the customer is you get more than face value in exchange for not being able to pick what you get. At just face value you might as well buy only/exactly what you want and nothing else.

So are you saying they should have put $300 worth of seconds in a $250 Mystery box ??
Because to me $250 of seconds is already a good buy. I always thought a $250 mystery box would have $250 worth of mystery seconds Spyderco’s.
(Just a question no ill intent ;) )

Funny as last seconds online sale I missed the pick through of the good stuff and was happy there were a few Mules left so it was a win for me.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I think it would’ve been nice if Spyderco had exceeded the price of the mystery boxes even if just by a little for perception. That being said almost every second is worth more than the price sold for. Some are worth twice as much or more. Stop complaining just sell them and make money.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

phaust wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:07 am
standy99 wrote:
Subverto wrote:

That is not the point of these mystery boxes from Spyderco. They’re literally putting high demand products in these boxes, not just knives that aren’t selling. The point of these boxes is to offer everyone shopping online the most fair and equal opportunity of getting something “premium.”

The retail value of these mystery boxes is remarkably higher than the face value cost of the box itself. I truly see it as an entitlement problem to expect even more discounts on top of the unmatchable seconds prices simply because they’re part of a “mystery box.” Absolutely not. If you want more of a selection and more time to shop, make the sacrifices and investments necessary to shop in person like thousands of people already do.

Try it. Pick a mystery box that someone posted and then go compare the retail cost to the face value cost of the mystery box. What you’ll find is the retail value inside these mystery boxes is greatly exceeding the face value cost. The “seconds value” being two to three dollars short in these boxes is nothing.

The only response I have for anyone upset about that $3 is - Okay, then go shop in person instead. :bug-white-red :respect
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Both are $250 boxes:
IMG_5370.jpeg
IMG_5371.jpeg
It’s a mystery box, you can see why one person might love their box while the other might be disappointed. They are the same price but I know which box I would much rather have. It’s a gamble if you are prepared to win you need to be ready for the other side.

I get my box today, hope I am in the 15v group.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For what it’s worth, the seconds value inside BOTH of those boxes exceeds $250…