Favorite non spyderco knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cowboyfromhell

Re: Favorite non spyderco knives?

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Picked up micro tech socom elite finally and liked it so much I grabbed a second! These are some tough as nails folders with amazing lock up. Almost Every spyderco I own has blade play right out of the box. These were hard to get for years, they must of made a batch cuz a bunch of vendors have them in stock.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My favorite non-Spyderco folding knife is the Benchmade 913 Stryker. Before I got so far into Spyderco knives I had a lot of other knives in my carry group. After getting into Spyderco knives I only have one other knife in my rotation, the Stryker.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

The Griptilian just jumped to the front of the pack. I ordered a set of scales from Blade Scales and installed them tonight. The installation was surprisingly easy. The scales feel good in hand, look good, and carry well.

It was hard to tell from the vendor's website, but the scales are flat with a small chamfer around the edge. They're not contoured like the factory FRN.
- Richard
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

B 586
IMG_20221208_135112_186.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

CRK. QuietCarry moving up fast!
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Skywalker wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:22 pm
I like old Benchmades and traditional slipjoint patterns with modern materials.
Those older Benchmades look so good. All their designs now look the same since the Bugout (which is a good looking knife) but nothing has grabbed my attention much.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Hinderer (some fixed and some XM-24 folders) and Spartan Blades (fixed)
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have a handy Dozier New York Special that would be perfect if it had a small guard to keep the fingers from running up the blade in adrenaline fueled emergencies. That would make it perfect carried small of back.
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

I was curious what all the fuss was about the Civivi Elementum, so I picked up one with copper scales over Black Friday. I really like it. It is the first non-Spydie I have bought in a long time besides a SAK. It's a great flipper with good action and a reasonable heft to it for a small knife.

It's become my knife for around the house in my pants knife and has spent some time on the couch getting flicked. I wish Spyderco had a comparable knife to it, but they really don't. I have the Sliverax which is both larger and nicer along with a different form factor. But a small flicker just isn't in the Spyder web.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kriezek wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:49 pm
I was curious what all the fuss was about the Civivi Elementum, so I picked up one with copper scales over Black Friday. I really like it. It is the first non-Spydie I have bought in a long time besides a SAK. It's a great flipper with good action and a reasonable heft to it for a small knife.

It's become my knife for around the house in my pants knife and has spent some time on the couch getting flicked. I wish Spyderco had a comparable knife to it, but they really don't. I have the Sliverax which is both larger and nicer along with a different form factor. But a small flicker just isn't in the Spyder web.
If you feel a knife is for "flicking"...there's even cheaper options than Civivi, since you clearly don't value what's important in a knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Skywalker wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:22 pm
Slipjoints: Lionsteel and Viper in M390. Been looking at a Fox gunstock to add as well.
I like the look of the Viper!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

CRK's and SAK's for me.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

IMG_20231210_135839_921.jpg
IMG_20231210_135847_648.jpg
IMG_20231210_135850_588.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

My "production" collection is 95% Spyderco, 3% CRK and one knife from another brand here and there, like the MBK Slayback :open-grin.

I'm looking for a new CRK soon, with inlays so that I can customize it. Otherwise my Inkosi will certainly be the subject of this experience.

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:30 pm
kriezek wrote:

If you feel a knife is for "flicking"...there's even cheaper options than Civivi, since you clearly don't value what's important in a knife.
So polite and friendly :discguised
:unicorn
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

White River knives 😊
vivi

Post by vivi »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:41 am

White River knives 😊
Those the ones you want to make grippier?

I had an lt wright with polished micarta scales. I took some coarse sandpaper to it, just enough to alter the surface finish. It helped with the grip, though it didn't look quite as pretty.
:unicorn
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

kriezek wrote:

My oldest son bought a Civivi Elementum a few BLADE shows back. Only change he made to it was to replace the pocket clip with the more solid option Civivi offers. He works for a commercial landscape company, mostly at resorts & golf courses. Outside of work he'll usually be carrying the Sebenza I got him for graduating college. At work he's been alternating between his Spyderco Para 3 LW & his Civivi Elementum. Both have the fidget factor, but can also handle whatever cutting needs arise. Also they're affordable so he's not afraid to use them, or be too upset if they grew legs.

He also has a Civivi Amirite on the way because he likes Sheepfoot blades & the button locks are even more fidget fun.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:19 am
RugerNurse wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:41 am

White River knives 😊
Those the ones you want to make grippier?
Yea, my one issue is the burlap is a bit smooth. Not bad and got better after I used a scotch bright pad on it some. Ergos are great on these knives though
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

The first knife I ever owned was a SAK given to me back in the early 70s followed shortly thereafter by a Buck 110 for hunting. My real knife collecting began in the 90s when I could finally afford to buy what I wanted and needed. One of the first pocket knives I bought was a Delica in G2. And one of the hunting knives I eventually got was a Bob Dozier Skinner in D2 for hunting. Since then, I have acquired many knives with over 2/3 being Spyderco. I'm not quite to 100 knives - yet.

I have used knives to gut, skin, and quarter deer and antelope. Have used em to cut open boxes and strip wire. Have used em to cut roots, twigs, veggies off plants, and open bags of dirt and mulch. Cut rubber hoses, carpet, tile, and a wide variety different construction materials along with using multi-tools in computer rooms in just about every way imaginable. And the kitchen meats, fruits, cheeses, and veggies have been hacked, cleaved, carved, and slashed asunder. I also have sharpened more knives for myself and my family than I can even begin to recall. So I think I really do know what knives are used for.

I have owned tiny knives, big knives, swords, machetes, hatchets, axes, fixed blades, folding knives, stilettos, but never butterfly or flipper knives. After reading about flipper knives the last few months, I decided to get one.

After 50 years of owning knives, I was surprised by how much fun a flipper is to use and fidget with. The reason I got the Elementum Copper is because I have arthritis and copper helps with that. I already have other copper fidget devices as well as bracelets/rings. Also, moving my fingers around helps keep my dexterity up. So having a copper flipper knife solves 2 problems at once. And to have a little fun whenever I need a knife around the house is just a bonus.

So for those who may say someone else doesn't know what knives are used for without knowing all the facts, may I suggest keeping an open mind. Knives are tools. But how those tools are utilized are up to the user. And an imaginative mind allows more uses than merely slicing and dicing.

For anyone who has not tried a flipper knife, the Civivi Elementum is a pretty decent one to try. If you want a better one, the Spyderco Sliverax is quite nice, but is being discontinued. So get one of those while you can if you are interested in one.

Civivi Elementum Copper

Spyderco Sliverax

Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2