The Spyderco CULT CLASSICS Survey

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: The Spyderco CULT CLASSICS Survey

Post by Fireman »

I am in the Mcbee cult. There needs to be a distinction from in house designs and collaborations imho
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:56 am
Based on my observations from this forum, hands down, the Ayoob is the first “Cult Classic” that comes to mind. It is, at least, one of the most vocal cult-like followings for any model I’ve seen.

The ParaMilitary 2 is also too obvious to ignore. The only way a knife could earn that many variations is if there is a large [group] of buyers buying them up!

The Police model, in general, is another one that seems to have a very devoted fanbase. It’s on the larger side of what seems to be a mainstream size for pocket knives but it still has a devout following. It’s Spyderco’s longest produced model for a reason.

The McBee is another current production model that has earned itself a devoted “cult-like” fanbase. It’s a tiny little knife but still quite capable. They’re like Lays chips, it’s hard to have just one! I have a few of them myself because it is such a unique design.

For me personally, I’d consider myself a PPT Perrin cultist. :grin-squint It’s Spyderco’s greatest knife ever! ;)
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

OK when I took the survey I hadn't realized that my favorite knifes were write in. So take any 2 off my 5 cult list and replace with Ayoob PE, and Ayoob SE. More Ayoob :bug-red-white :bug-red-white :bug-red-white . Where's JD, come on JD sing it with me. :squinting-tongue Magna cut Ayoob PE AND SE.I will take 2 of each plz. :smiling-heart-eyes :smiling-heart-eyes :smiling-heart-eyes .
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Feel like for the amount of work this thread deserves to be stickied. Can't wait to see the results
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Even I would get an Ayoob PE Magnacut.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I'm partial to many old Schempp designs. The Kris especially. The original C27 Jess Horn is definitely one.

I think Moki built many of the best cult classic Spyderco models.

ETA: The Jester is a key in-house designed cult classic.
Last edited by Enactive on Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fastidiotus,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

This was eye opening in that I had not come across a number of these older knives. Some fantastic designs!

As for the Ayoob, I’d take one in almost any permutation of steel and handle colour at this point after missing out repeatedly on the CruWear sprint (which I badly wanted, especially in SE).
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I voted with a comment, the Smock has all ready a cult following and is alive and kicking. No offense but I don't understand why the Ayoob would be considered to be a cult classic :winking-tongue
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Spyderco has so many classics, in current production and discontinued, that it’s difficult figure out which models have the biggest following I feel. But I’m gonna guess spyderco’s biggest sellers are models in the delica and military series from my observations
:bug-red-white
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Great idea for a survey! Looking forward to the results.
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ferruginous wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:42 pm
Neat, what a trip down memory lane.

I would like a Tim Zowada, in a modern steel, the most:

C56CF_M.jpg
Yeah I could go for the C-56 Zowada in the "cult classic" category. But I do believe the Terzuola models were earlier than the Ayoob. The Zowada may be the handiest pocket knife I've ever used for many different jobs. It was certainly a cult-classic and had an exclusive following.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Cool idea. Thanks, Bolster!

It was interesting thinking about this, when the knives I chose had flareups in discussion here, on BF or on more recent style social media.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Another great survey, Bolster!

I don't know all the models listed, so in Q1 I just checked off the ones I know well enough to have on my want-list. There are probably models more cult worthy, but the ones I voted for are cult classics for me at least.

As I always feel like I fell down the rabbit hole too late and missed out on all the cult classics, I forgot about the models I already own, that may well be worthy candidates. Like the mentioned Ayoob and Stretch 1. I can get behind both.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Poll closes Tuesday evening...

Attachments
Kitchener Wants You 4.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Closing today, last hours remaining...

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Hi folks -- unfortunately there will be a delay in getting the results to you. I did my usual check for "cheaters" (people who take the survey multiple times, in an effort to push their favorite models up in the rankings) and sadly there are two respondents that have to be removed from the dataset.

What that means is that I can't use the fast-and-easy-to-generate SM graphics. I have to take the data out of SM, clean it, and then load it into a stats program and re-generate the results.

If the two folks (out of 133) who took the survey multiple times are reading this: Your attempt to game the results is unethical, as well as unsuccessful. Not only is your data completely removed from the dataset, but you cost me extra work to re-generate the graphics. Not cool!

To the 131 folks who took the survey just once, thanks for being straight arrows! Give me some time to delete the bad data and regenerate the graphics, and I'll be back with results.
Last edited by Bolster on Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sad you have to put up with subversion trying to do good for everyone . Definitely wrong ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Same **** thing happened with the last survey. Sorry Bolster.

*Edit - Dang
Last edited by JSumm on Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:28 am
If the two folks (out of 133) who took the survey multiple times are reading this: Your attempt to game the results is unethical, as well as unsuccessful.

It was the Russians and the North Koreans creating fake accounts and trying to influence voters. They tried to steal the survey! What were they trying to promote? The Szabo? The Captain? Those monsters!

Sorry, but I didn't vote. None of the choices really excited me. I'm really a fan of the current lineup.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The ‘Cult Classics’ survey achieved 131* responses, which is a good rate of participation, thanks all! The results are surprisingly (to me) “horizontal.” Call it what you want: scatter, variance, spread, diversity; forumites are ranging far and wide, and not nominating the same knives with much similarity or agreement. If you have just 20% of people nominating the same model, that is a very prominent ‘cult classic.’ On the other hand, there are three dozens of models that get a single mention as a ‘cult classic’—those being admired by a very small cult! Another way to say this: there are 131 models found in question 1 that at least one person thought should be considered a cult classic! The “horizontal-ness” of the data underscores how varied are the preferences and perceptions of the knife aficionados here, and how good Spyderco is at satisfying a wide variety of tastes. No wonder the discussions are interesting on the Spyderco forum…there are many different perspectives.

*After 2 ‘cheaters’ who took the survey a combined total of 7 times were removed.