Mystery Box

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LeDe

Re: Mystery Box

Post by LeDe »

Roefisher wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:15 am
It probably won't help anyone who's not too happy with their box, and I realise they're factory seconds, but to hopefully make them feel a bit better, imagine if you were buying these in the UK... ?

I'm looking on in near sheer disbelief at the prices of these knives. I couple of posts up someone mentions a Para 3 G-10 Maxamet for $79 (around £63 GBP today).

Only this week, I paid £289 ($364 USD on today's rate) for my Para 3 Maxamet. To give another example, at the same time I also bought a Lil' Temperance 3 G-10 and paid £273 (that's $344 USD today)

If I could get Spyderco knives at the prices mentioned here, I'd have their entire catalogue sitting here!

Mark
And I could not agree more with that.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I agree, LeDe. I didn’t order a mystery box, so my thoughts can be taken with a dump truck of salt, but I think, for many, results have not been in line with expectations. That prospect is actually why I didn’t order. First, I absolutely knew that I would not want anything that would reasonably come in a $250 box.
And second, a $400 box, and use of the word “premium,” makes me think of knives like the Paysan, Drunken, CF Subvert, or others of that titanium/carbon fiber ilk. Indeed, Spyderco seemingly confirmed that idea with the Instagram post of the Paysan going in the box. I most certainly do not think of the PM2, Para 3, or a kitchen knife, etc. as premium. That would be disappointing to me. At $400, knowing that I really want a Paysan or Subvert, I’m just going to pay full price to ensure that I get what I want. And that’s why I don’t buy mystery boxes. Other people enjoy the thrill of the unknown and gambling, so I’m sure it’s worth it to them. I’m just enjoying seeing the results.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mystery box seems like a good investment for someone new to Spyderco knives, but if you've already got 10, 20, 30 etc knives....why in the world would you chance your money on something that you may already have, and has a known defect already as it is?? Seems like a weird mentality to me, but maybe that's just me and I have the weird mentality? :thinking
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
aimark42

Post by aimark42 »

Fine Swine wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:39 am
I’m just enjoying seeing the results.
It is pretty entertaining. I do have a 250 box coming in for me today though, I guess I like gambling.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:02 am
Mystery box seems like a good investment for someone new to Spyderco knives, but if you've already got 10, 20, 30 etc knives....why in the world would you chance your money on something that you may already have, and has a known defect already as it is?? Seems like a weird mentality to me, but maybe that's just me and I have the weird mentality? :thinking
Yea exactly why I don’t do the mystery thing. I know what I have and what I want. Money is a rare commodity these days. But you are weird in good way.😁
MRj “Weak things break!”
Guts

Post by Guts »

Just for more data points, a fellow over on reddit got these in a premium box:
- BHQ Yojumbo in M4 DLC
- BHQ(?) PM2 in REX45 DLC and Copper scales
- Fradon Lock Para 3 in Elmax and CF scales
- 2x Sharpmaker brown rods
- 3x stickers

Would love any of those models personally, particularly the Para 3 in Elmax.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I'm a pretty empathetic guy, but I can't muster the tiniest fraction of an ounce of sympathy for people complaining about these MYSTERY (hello!!!??? :zany ) boxes on the internet. I get the desire to gamble and couldn't care less how other people spend their money.. cool if it pays off for someone and they get a model they want or perceive to be more valuable.. what my brain just can't rationalize is the negative commentary (mostly on other social media, much less so here) directed at Spyderco because people simply don't like the knives they're receiving.. how can they really be upset with anyone but themselves*?

*rhetorical question - i don't actually care to learn what manner of entitled thinking leads to people bashing Spyderco online for sending them heavily discounted knives in a MYSTERY box they agreed to pay for..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:02 am
I agree . It’s called a Mystery Box for a reason and it’s game of chance . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

To give some of the people hope who are waiting on the basic box, saw this on Reddit, and exactly what I would want:

$250 Seconds Mystery box

Shaman G10 Brown 15V - ?
Paramilitary 2 Teal G10, S90V (MGE) (I think) - ?
Phil Wilson Bow River Tan/OD Green G10 8Cr13MoV -
Red Spyderco Hat -
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Maybe all expectations weren't met but all look like good values. Look at ebay for confirmation of that.
Looks like a perfect opportunity to use Vivi's swap page. Ill be looking there for the Wayne Goddard in 4v.
DWH86

Post by DWH86 »

My $400 Mystery Box contained the following.

PM2 M4 Red Fat Carbon Uncoated blade - $113
Nightstick fixed blade(No Sheath) - $115
Native Chief Black G10 S30v - $95
Delica FRN Zome GITD - $48
UK Penknife FRN Black - $27
Double Stuff Sharpener(I think, no pouch, no sticker) - $??

Thoughts.. Value is there based on sticker price even with unknown value of sharpener.
I like to gamble, but main reason I went the mystery box route was because there were no 15v options. Hoped for a Shaman or PM2 in that steel flavor.

My only real disappointment was the Nightstick. Had no interest in a fixed blade and even more so, one that doesn't have a sheath. Not sure what I'll do with it. Also have a Wicked Edge so sharpener is of little use.

Overall, I'd probably do it again because as said, I like to gamble :winking-tongue
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Guts wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:44 am
Just for more data points, a fellow over on reddit got these in a premium box:
- BHQ Yojumbo in M4 DLC
- BHQ(?) PM2 in REX45 DLC and Copper scales
- Fradon Lock Para 3 in Elmax and CF scales
- 2x Sharpmaker brown rods
- 3x stickers

Would love any of those models personally, particularly the Para 3 in Elmax.
Speaking from firsthand experience and observations, those copper scales Rex45 seconds knives have absolutely horrific actions. For the past three years they’ve been picked over at the seconds sales and buyers don’t want them die to their defects. While receiving one might appear on paper to be a great score, I have my doubts as to the usability of the knife. The examples I’ve seen sitting in the cardboard crates have had loose blade wobble, terrible lock stick, tight actions that won’t drop shut or flick open, and wildly off center blades.

I’m not saying that all seconds are this bad but only that I’d be super disappointed if I received a seconds knife that was thrown in the box to get it off the books - given some of the defects I’ve seen in person.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:59 am
I'm a pretty empathetic guy, but I can't muster the tiniest fraction of an ounce of sympathy for people complaining about these MYSTERY (hello!!!??? :zany ) boxes on the internet. I get the desire to gamble and couldn't care less how other people spend their money.. cool if it pays off for someone and they get a model they want or perceive to be more valuable.. what my brain just can't rationalize is the negative commentary (mostly on other social media, much less so here) directed at Spyderco because people simply don't like the knives they're receiving.. how can they really be upset with anyone but themselves*?

*rhetorical question - i don't actually care to learn what manner of entitled thinking leads to people bashing Spyderco online for sending them heavily discounted knives in a MYSTERY box they agreed to pay for..
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I can't imagine buying a "Mystery Box" and expecting to get just what I want, much less being disappointed with what I do get. When you go to the in-person sale, you can pick and choose. When you shop on line, you get what they send. When you buy a mystery box online, you're just gambling. At least Spyderco left the price stickers on to show you you got your money's worth.
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

Roefisher wrote:
It probably won't help anyone who's not too happy with their box, and I realise they're factory seconds, but to hopefully make them feel a bit better, imagine if you were buying these in the UK... ?

I'm looking on in near sheer disbelief at the prices of these knives. I couple of posts up someone mentions a Para 3 G-10 Maxamet for $79 (around £63 GBP today).

Only this week, I paid £289 ($364 USD on today's rate) for my Para 3 Maxamet. To give another example, at the same time I also bought a Lil' Temperance 3 G-10 and paid £273 (that's $344 USD today)

If I could get Spyderco knives at the prices mentioned here, I'd have their entire catalogue sitting here!

Mark
Totally agree with this, prices in the UK are very high! I'd love to be able to get almost perfect seconds at these prices if I could.
aimark42

Post by aimark42 »

Spyderco advertised this sale on Instagram showing a Drunken being put into a box. There should be some rare or 'chase' boxes that are undeniably great to make it exciting. Most people won't get that, but it would justify the risk/gamble.

Thus far we've not seen anyone 'win'. If there was a crazy box or two posted then people would feel much better about buying a mystery box. Because they had the chance of getting that box even though they didn't personally get that one.

It doesn't have to be financially valuable. What about throwing in a hat/poster/coin signed by Sal in random boxes, something I couldn't buy and would be rare/special. It would justify the fact that I didn't get to choose what I bought because I could pull a special thing that people who went to Golden couldn't get.

Maybe, I play too much Magic the Gathering, but they have perfected the 'chase', and have people buy rather expensive cardboard and still feel good about it.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Thorien wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:24 am
Roefisher wrote:

Mark
Totally agree with this, prices in the UK are very high! I'd love to be able to get almost perfect seconds at these prices if I could.
I try to see the positives.
There is a fair chance I would actually sprend MORE money on knives if I had access to those prices.
Plus I'll have to live with even more knives that I could not love as much as they deserve.
Actually... are we the lucky ones?
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

I like your way of thinking, yes we probably are ;)
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

We're lucky all the way to the bank, fellas.

Here in the UK buying a knife has become, well, internationally no way - with knife "laws" and seizures but even buying from shops locally - where, let's face it, you're getting your pants pulled down with the price rather like Ned Beatty in Deliverance.

One thing it does do, to try to find a positive, is make you **** sure you want a knife before going through the circus and insult of getting it to your home.

I'd say in a couple of years, or less, here in the UK we'll have no chance of getting a knife in the post, rather like a gun... so get what you fancy now, while you can.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

Mystery boxes have always been a way to clear out unwanted inventory. It’s only a select few that get better items. Tons of companies do this. I do think it was great for them to do this. I still rather spend $400 on ones I want.