Mystery Box

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stonemanaz

Re: Mystery Box

Post by Stonemanaz »

For the $400 mystery box:
Knifejoy Endela Damascus $76 - retails for $110
Para 3 FRN Spy27 $75. - retails for $150
REC PM2 coated 204P $119 - retailed for $180
ITAMAE™ NAKIRI $130 - retails for $242
Total of $400. No Paysan here :(
skitarist

Post by skitarist »

In the $400 box I received an s90v shaman, s90v siren, dlc bow river, and s35vn persistence lw. the total is $391 on the tags, kinda bummed to be honest! I saw some folks got sharpening stones added in, would have been nice to get those to at least make it worth $400... the wording on the description said "at least $400 of seconds" would be in the box.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:17 pm
I prefer shopping for bargains at online retailers and even the secondary market. Not big on surprises, I guess.

I hope most Mystery Box gamblers end up happy!
Same. I'm not much of a risk taker when it comes to knife buying. Plus I already have several examples of most of the primary models Spyderco offers and I don't like going through the process of selling off knives
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Seeing some Mystery Boxes in another forum if anyone is interested… seeing Good, Bad and Ugly

$400 Seconds Mystery box

Yojimbo, Purple G10 Cruwear Black (DLT Exclusive) - $107
Paramilitary 2, OD Green G10 Cts 204p - $119
Siren, Peel-Ply Carbon, S90V (sprint) - $172
(2) Sharpening Stones - ?

——————————
$400 Seconds Mystery box

Paramilitary 2, Red Fat Carbon M4 (SMKW) - $125
Delica 4, Glow In The Dark Zome VG10 - $38
Native Chief Lockback, Black G10, S30V - $95
Penknife Leaf Lightweight, Black FRN CTS BD1 - $27
Gayle Bradley Nightstick G10 CPM-S30V - $115

————————
$250 Seconds Mystery box

Goddard Lightweight Red FRN CPM 4V (sprint) - $73
C171TIBLP Mike Draper Folder Titanium - $158
Clipitool Scissors, Black Aluminum - $16
Red Spyderco Hat - ?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Wow, every single one I’ve seen reported so far has been awful. Really curious to see who got that Paysan in the Instagram post.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

On Reddit someone has a $250 box a Goddard and a knife in the middle with a blue spyder web on the handle. I don’t know what knife this is. I had one in my hands and basket at the seconds sale. It was one of the last knives that didn’t make the cut. Can anyone identify it?
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:31 pm
On Reddit someone has a $250 box a Goddard and a knife in the middle with a blue spyder web on the handle. I don’t know what knife this is. I had one in my hands and basket at the seconds sale. It was one of the last knives that didn’t make the cut. Can anyone identify it?
That's the Mike draper folder.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:31 pm
VashHash is correct - Mike Draper Folder

Last edited by Mushroom on Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nick :bug-red
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

Yeah, I saw that with the Goddard and Draper. Truly terrible box. I’ve yet to see one even close to worth the money.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

I’m nervous about getting my premium box now. What I’ve seen looks very busty.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Hmm… I’ve looked at every post so far and I haven’t seen one that is not worth the money. Might not be what you were hoping for but absolutely worth the money.
Think for yourself
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Candyman wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:20 pm
Hmm… I’ve looked at every post so far and I haven’t seen one that is not worth the money. Might not be what you were hoping for but absolutely worth the money.
I agree. Tons of great knives. That’s the mystery box roulette. I own a bunch of these knives and they are all great.
MRj “Weak things break!”
jclark80

Post by jclark80 »

Here’s my $400 box. My opinion is that it is a very good value but I was hoping for less volume and more quality. Still a fun experience (would definitely do again) and I’ll put these to good use either on my own or as gifts to friends. Thank you Spyderco and thanks everyone for making this such a fun space. Cheers!

* Copper scale Rex 45 PM2
* Urban Damasteel sprint
* G10 Yojumbo S30V
* Bow River
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

The system worked great. The price tags are on the knives and you get at least what the price of the box was. I don’t think you can ask for anything else.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:21 am
The system worked great. The price tags are on the knives and you get at least what the price of the box was. I don’t think you can ask for anything else.
Leaving the tags on the knives was great, shows you got what you paid for. While the kitchen knives are fairly common in the boxes this time and might be an unexpected surprise to some, it fits in the box description.

The only thing I could negatively comment on is the $400 premium box. The description implied a premium high end knife would be included, something that would not be in the basic $250 box. At least that’s how I read it. From what I have seen that does not always seem to hold true, here is the last $400 box I saw, I think any of those knives could also be in a $250 box:

$400 Seconds Mystery box

Para 3 Gray G10 Maxamet - $79
Native Chief Red G10 CPM 4V Black - ?
Paramilitary 2 Teal G10, S90V (MGE) - $110
Nakiri Minarai (I think) - $80

Otherwise beyond that I think Spyderco is doing an amazing job. I got the basic box so the issue will not affect me. Very grateful to have access to these knives. I am excited to see the Fat Carbon M4 knives in some boxes, its a great knife to find in one of your the boxes.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

The sharpening stones were .50 each I bought two. The M4 Chief was around $115. I thought that was odd the M4 Military was $100.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

It probably won't help anyone who's not too happy with their box, and I realise they're factory seconds, but to hopefully make them feel a bit better, imagine if you were buying these in the UK... ?

I'm looking on in near sheer disbelief at the prices of these knives. I couple of posts up someone mentions a Para 3 G-10 Maxamet for $79 (around £63 GBP today).

Only this week, I paid £289 ($364 USD on today's rate) for my Para 3 Maxamet. To give another example, at the same time I also bought a Lil' Temperance 3 G-10 and paid £273 (that's $344 USD today)

If I could get Spyderco knives at the prices mentioned here, I'd have their entire catalogue sitting here!

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Think people are expecting Mystery boxes to be magical boxes. :gift

Basically $400 worth of seconds knives. :eight-ball
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Mystery boxes are like playing russian roulette. You pull the trigger and do not know what will happen.
Spyderco clearly puts allot of great stuff in them. But as in the end all mystery boxes are still are a risk. If buy one hot wired with expectations you will probably be let down. If you go in blind you will probably have a blast and feel happy.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:19 am
Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:21 am
Leaving the tags on the knives was great, shows you got what you paid for. While the kitchen knives are fairly common in the boxes this time and might be an unexpected surprise to some, it fits in the box description.

The only thing I could negatively comment on is the $400 premium box. The description implied a premium high end knife would be included, something that would not be in the basic $250 box. At least that’s how I read it. From what I have seen that does not always seem to hold true, here is the last $400 box I saw, I think any of those knives could also be in a $250 box:

$400 Seconds Mystery box

Para 3 Gray G10 Maxamet - $79
Native Chief Red G10 CPM 4V Black - ?
Paramilitary 2 Teal G10, S90V (MGE) - $110
Nakiri Minarai (I think) - $80

Otherwise beyond that I think Spyderco is doing an amazing job. I got the basic box so the issue will not affect me. Very grateful to have access to these knives. I am excited to see the Fat Carbon M4 knives in some boxes, its a great knife to find in one of your the boxes.
I would agree with that. I would have expected a more premium knives in those boxes. Maybe not a full on Taichung Titanium but almost.
But that is also why I would not be interested in a mystery box.

I think one way or another the difference between what Spyderco will pick for you and general expectations will narrow down. And Spyderco will keep selling mystery boxes.
As much as I am not intestested to buy them, I can see why people would love the thrill.
This is not like most or any one of us here is ever rational about knife buying.