The Spyderco CULT CLASSICS Survey

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

The Spyderco CULT CLASSICS Survey

Post by Bolster »

Which are the Spyderco ‘cult classics’? You’ve got your list, and I’ve got mine, but let’s find out what the whole forum thinks! The list of discontinued models was too long to make an in-forum survey so, with the help of several forumites (whom I thank) we created a ‘Cult Classics’ survey. Its URL is below. My main concern is that I have overlooked some models…hopefully not many…you’ll let me know if I have.

The way the survey works is like this:

Question #1 asks you to choose up to 5 'cult classics’ from over 170 discontinued, long-out-of-production Spyderco folders. This is a tough task, as there are so many wonderful knives on that list—it represents a rich history, and something for us Spyderco fans to celebrate! The list for question #1 comes from stitching together SpydieWiki’s various lists of Spyderco folder models, with currently featured models found on the Spyderco website removed. The resulting list should represent most of the long-ago discontinued folding models. Note that if you tick more than five check boxes, or less than one, you'll get an error that says: "This question requires an answer,” and the survey won’t complete. Also note: The original lists had collaboration models listed two ways--name first and model first. You may have to hunt for the collab model you're looking for either way.

Recently discontinued models appear in question #2. You can choose one from that list.

Question #3 asks about discontinued versions of still-in-production knives. This was a trickly list to put together and I got a lot of help from one of our beloved forumites who has remarkable in-depth knowledge of many models (thanks again, man!). You can also choose one from that list.

Question #4 is a write-in, in case I omitted or overlooked a model that you think should be recognized as a ‘cult classic.’

Question #5 is a write in, for anything else you care to say.

Feel free to interpret ‘Cult Classic’ however you please. Most people have an idea of what that means, but the phrase is open to individual interpretation as well.

I’ve noticed that the hosting website is a bit slow, so give the survey time to load and digest your answers.

Let’s give this poll a week to run. It’ll be fun to see which models rise to the top of a ‘Cult Classics’ list. I’ll report results in this thread.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/M2CULT2Y
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: The Spyderco CULT CLASSICS Survey

Post by apollo »

Great survey Bolster i am curious how the results will be!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

This effectively worked to make me regret selling many of these! Looking forward to the results.
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Nice survey :)
Interested to see the outcome
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Based on my observations from this forum, hands down, the Ayoob is the first “Cult Classic” that comes to mind. It is, at least, one of the most vocal cult-like followings for any model I’ve seen.

The ParaMilitary 2 is also too obvious to ignore. The only way a knife could earn that many variations is if there is a large [group] of buyers buying them up!

The Police model, in general, is another one that seems to have a very devoted fanbase. It’s on the larger side of what seems to be a mainstream size for pocket knives but it still has a devout following. It’s Spyderco’s longest produced model for a reason.

The McBee is another current production model that has earned itself a devoted “cult-like” fanbase. It’s a tiny little knife but still quite capable. They’re like Lays chips, it’s hard to have just one! I have a few of them myself because it is such a unique design.

For me personally, I’d consider myself a PPT Perrin cultist. :grin-squint It’s Spyderco’s greatest knife ever! ;)
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

That's very cool, thanks for doing this, Bolster!! :clinking-mugs

No time yet to actually participate (of course I will later) but immediately checked if "my" number one cult classic" Stretch 1 is listed - and it is, so all is fine. ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I’m confused the “currently in production” question list has a ton of disco’d items?
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks folks! The data are already rolling in.

I should underscore that if a knife is featured on the Spyderco website as in current production (even if out of stock), it isn't in the survey. (Unless I made a mistake, that is!) Note question 3 is about previous versions of in-production models. It might be interesting in a future survey to consider which are the 'cult classics' of current, in-production models. In the meantime, we can guess about the current models based on the number of sprints, exclusives, and variations.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Merriam-Webster has several definitions for cult. When I think of cult outside of religious tones, I think of this definition:

"a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion."

But MW also has another definition that is worthy of consideration:

"great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (such as a film or book)."

The first of these definitions would suggest several knives as potential cult-classics because there are Spydie fans that are devoted users of said knives and they are a small group. For instance, I really like the Stretch 1 design, and while I know that there are a few others that do, it is not as popular as some other knives out there. So to me, it fits the first definition very well. Others may prefer a different cult classic and I think that one purpose of this survey is to find the most popular cult classics.

While I did not state this in the survey, I would suggest that the current model (including various sprints/exclusives) of the PM2 fits the second definition of a cult classic. No other production Spyderco knife has as many offerings for customization as the PM2. And PM2 devotees love to dress up their knives with different scales, clips, screws, lanyard hole plugs and/or lanyards, along with various blade adjustments from rehoning an edge to 14 degrees to anodizing to patina. That is some serious devotion.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
brj

Post by brj »

Voted. Nice job on survey options
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Southard #1
MRj “Weak things break!”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A Cult Classic to me is something not popular but highly rewarding; a sleeper when current, and long since forgotten.

For Question 3, a well-designed differentiator, I chose the Lil’ Temp1.

For Question 1, I checked D’Allara Rescue, Dyad, JD Smith, Schempp Kris, and Worker.

I have each to remind me how great they are.

ETA: HEY, BOLSTER! Meant to say Lil’ Temp2, the one with the trailing point, for Question 3. It’s cultier than than the LT1.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

Neat, what a trip down memory lane.

I would like a Tim Zowada, in a modern steel, the most:
C56CF_M.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Bolster.

Looking forward to the results.

sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great idea Bolster ! I voted , interested in results . Dan
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
R100

Post by R100 »

Great idea Bolster. Made me regret once again not getting a Starmate and a Ulize while I still could. Surprised not to see the Ayoob in the list but that's what Q4 was there for I guess. I'll be interested to see the results.

Dan
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

You’re awesome Bolster…this survey is gonna help me blow my budget…AGAIN!!! 🤣
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Thanks Bolster!
That was a tough one to fill out! I feel like most of them are Cult Classics. Possibly all of them. Sooo many great knives come out of the Spyderco factories!
Not sure if I did it right, as there were several that I suspect might be more popular, but I kept picking and unpicking until I ended up with 5 that I would purchase today if they were re-released identical to how they were in their glory days. Old steel and all. :grin-smiling-eyes
•• Beau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Hi guys, I'm sorry about the Ayoob. Here's how it didn't appear on the lists, if interested:

It's still featured (but OOS) on the Spyderco website, so it didn't technically qualify for Question 1.
It's not marked 'SOLD OUT' and AFAIK it hasn't been discontinued; as such it didn't qualify for Question 2.
It's an older model, but the sprint isn't "Ayoob 2," so it didn't technically qualify for Question 3, either.

I guess you could say the Ayoob kind of fell through the cracks with the methodology I used. However the Ayoob is making a good showing in Question #4! It's a knife that has such a strong cult following that it's still (sort of) available by popular demand!

By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, the Ayoob shall not be forgotten!

PS: Good response, so far n=58!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I was a late bloomer to "knife collecting" then dove in. There was no catching up on discontinued knives and I missed out on a lot of excellent knives. Such is life.

Maybe one of my choices will make it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/