A Tip For Cleaning Sharpmaker Stones

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

A Tip For Cleaning Sharpmaker Stones

Post by Catamount123 »

For those of you who haven’t found out, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work fantastic for cleaning Sharpmaker stones. I had been using Barkeeper’s Friend, but these are cheap, and way easier and more convenient. Just take a piece wet it a little, then go to town and throw it away. They are wonders for all kinds of other difficult cleaning tasks too. If nothing else works try one.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Superflex

Re: A Tip For Cleaning Sharpmaker Stones

Post by Superflex »

A Paper Mate White Pearl pencil eraser does just as good and 1/10 the price of a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and last 100x longer
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

White polymer erasers work well too, with the added advantage of being reusable.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'll have to try that out. I use barkeepers friend too, and while it works well it isn't the most convenient process.
:unicorn
THG

Post by THG »

You can use a regular pencil eraser too
vivi

Post by vivi »

I tried it out. Better than soap and hot water and a rag, but worse than barkeepers friend and a green scouring pad.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Comet and a scouring pad works well
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

In order of ease of use and sloppiness I've used old school rubber erasers or newer polymer erasers for a quick job of cleaning up the TriAngles or Benchstones. I've used Walmart branded magic erasers. (cheaper than national brands) And for the best cleaning job, once or twice a year, Comet or Ajax cleanser.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I keep it simple and use warm water with a toothbrush. Removes majority of debris.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

**** I’ll have to try that out! Thanks! I’ve always been happy with barkeepers friend and a green pad or sometimes I just rub the barkeepers friend with my fingers.
I know with my Edge Pro diamond matrix they recommend just using rubbing alcohol and a rag until they’re really dirty and then using the silicone carbide grit and water on a glass plate
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:08 pm
I tried it out. Better than soap and hot water and a rag, but worse than barkeepers friend and a green scouring pad.
I have used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with Bar Keeper's Friend and had great results that way. And I do agree with you that scrubbing the stone with BKF does a really thorough job of giving the stones a really good and even abrasion property. I've often wondered if using most types of hard rubber erasers may leave small bits of the eraser material impregnated in the stone thus reducing it's abrasion properties.

I've just had excellent results overall with the use of Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser over the years on the ceramic material in the Spyderco stones. However if these erasers work well for you guys then more power to you all. Oh by the way I've also got a regimen of soaking the stones with DAWN 4X dish soap before I clean them
with BKF and it seems to really help with the process.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I'll have to give this a shot. After playing around with way too much aus8 I tried a normal eraser on my medium grit stone without much luck. I was getting to the point that I was going to set the stone in water to saturate it and spray the top of the stone with an iron remover. Then pray it didn't absorb the smell from the sodium thioglycolate.
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:08 pm
I'll have to try that out. I use barkeepers friend too, and while it works well it isn't the most convenient process.
It's not ideal either from perspective that BKF has an abrasive in it. You don't want to use anything abrasive to clean the stone as it will possibly dull the abrasives of the stone. Eraser compounds, especially the polymer kind are likely to be quite low in abrasive.
Guts

Post by Guts »

I use them for water stones, resin bonded diamond stones, and diamond plates. Work well for those too. Although on the Spyderco ceramics I've found they don't work super well if the stones have been really loaded up for awhile. Like someone else mentioned, pencil eraser works really well too on the spyderco ceramics, at least when I tried it, but I only use it if I feel like the magic eraser didn't do a good job.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:20 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:08 pm
It's not ideal either from perspective that BKF has an abrasive in it. You don't want to use anything abrasive to clean the stone as it will possibly dull the abrasives of the stone. Eraser compounds, especially the polymer kind are likely to be quite low in abrasive.
No,

It's glass oxide, max hardness would be ~800 Hv, very gentle.

The the spyderco ceramic by comparison is 1800 Hv

Regardless it's not working abrasively.

BKF works as a chelating agent, That's why it's so effective at removing the metal particles that are clogged in the ceramic.

So, It's not abrasively removing the ceramic to remove the embedded metal particles.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
vivi

Post by vivi »

BKF is the only method I've found that gets sharpmaker stones looking new again. Other methods come close for me but metallic streaks are still visible. If there are metal particles visible, the stones performance is at less than 100%. So BKF is 100% essential for my sharpening because otherwise the stones won't function as well.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Interestingly, I just looked around for some official wordage on the cleaning process, as I'm sure I've read Spyderco themselves say: all of our stones are machine washable (may only apply to larger benchstones) and, "To clean: wash with fresh water and scrub metal particles from the stones with a plastic scouring pad and abrasive powered cleanser." Searching this exact phrase will yield many results, as this is what was recommended as recently as within the last few years when I've been newly acquiring these products.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -Medium/82

Now the wording no longer mentions "abrasive" and just says "can be easily cleaned with household cleanser, a scouring pad, and water"

I imagine this must be "legal bracing" in their wording, and I'm still going to use BKF on my stones, but I thought it was at least interesting to note. The going theme around here seems to be that the original M/F triangles last about 10 years with doting care and love, but I really don't mind if I have to replace them at a measly 9 years instead, if that tradeoff means I get to feel the awesome sharpening response they display after some BKF.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think sal said the white ones last even longer than that.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:08 pm
Someone suggested the Magic Erasers awhile back. I tried it and went back to using BKF and a scouring pad
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’ve used Bar Keepers Friend for years as well. It worked so well or me the first time I tried it that I’ve never bothered trying anything else.
-Nick :bug-red