A full size Native slipjoint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CDEP

Re: A full size Native slipjoint?

Post by CDEP »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:29 pm
What type of clip would be preferred?

sal
Hi Sal:

For me, the hourglass clip is the best functioning clip on the planet, and it works perfectly on the Native 5. I'd still buy a few with the wire, though. It's a close second.

Note that a few of the people I'd gift this knife to would likely take the clip off and carry in pocket. A pocket clip can be interpreted as open carry by some LEOs here in Los Angeles. I usually attach a lanyard and drop my carry knives into the pockets when out in public.

And thanks for, well, everything you do for us.
Brian
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:29 pm
What type of clip would be preferred?

sal

I'm enjoying the standard hourglass pocket clip on my Lil' Native slipjoint, after a few days carry from new, so if I had to choose one I'd say to with that on the full-sized Native slippie too.

But I also like the wire pocket clip on the UKPK so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Although having said that, I think for the full-sized Native, which will be a fair sized beefy knife, the standard hourglass would be a better choice from the two options.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

I would prefer a wire clip also, though I prefer the deep carry wire clip of the Chap to the shallow carry wire clip of the Manix. Of course, if possible, having both wire clips would allow folks to change how deep it carries.
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

I'd prefer a wire clip. The hourglass clip on the Lil Native Slipit is one of the factors why I don't own one.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Low carry wire clip please.
I personally would prefer the lanyard hole to be omitted too, but just a preference.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I’ve actually taken the clip off my native 5 as I don’t like the way it sits compared to my UKPK. So yeah, Low-sitting wire clip please.

Possibly getting ahead of things here but my preference would be for G10 and PB washers too …for the walk.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Clip type depends on spring strength & half stop for me. I want to close it one handed.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:58 am
Clip type depends on spring strength & half stop for me. I want to close it one handed.
Very good point and good possibility clip type may have an impact operating one handed . I don’t think a wire clip has been used on a Native . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

I like the way the wire type mount works but I’ll be putting a Lynch NW Clip on it either way.
As for the lanyard hole, any where that doesn’t interfere with a deep carry clip position.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:51 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Very good point and good possibility clip type may have an impact operating one handed . I don’t think a wire clip has been used on a Native . Dan
gen 3

:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:27 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:51 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
gen 3

Thank you Vivi ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Flash

Post by Flash »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:14 am
Flash wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:49 am
Bolster wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:24 pm
Flash wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:20 am

No need for a poll. If you don’t want one then you don’t buy it. ;)

I think this is gauge-interest thread, not a post-production thread.
Yes I know, but why come to a thread titled “Native slip joint” just to say you are not interested in a Native slip joint?
It has already been stated here that there is a rising market for such a knife, so your poll with you saying you don’t want one would be mute at this stage.

I’m not interested in many things but don’t feel like I need to make data points or formulate a chart on any of them. If it was a thread about a knife I wasn’t interested in, then I’d simply let it pass me by and go do something else with my time.

Again, if you don’t want one (when it’s released), then you don’t have to buy it. No irrelevant data points necessary, just a small amount of common sense.
Sorry but I see that mentality as being counterproductive. This isn't an echo chamber and it never will be. We all have valid thoughts and opinions we can share. Whether they conform with the majority consensus or not, doesn't matter.

Telling people not post in a thread, unless they agree with thread, is promoting ignorance. Spyderco is watching this thread to gauge actual interest in the proposed model. For all we know, there could more people who have no interest in this particular model than people who do have interest. Which could ultimately end up backfiring on Spyderco if they go through the time and investment to create it. The input of those who express no interest, is just as valuable as those who do express interest.

Personally, I have no interest in a Native 5 slipjoint. :bug-red :respect

Spyderco makes knives for people who want them, thats how they make their money. They don’t make money from people who don’t want them. It’s basic economics.

Coming into a thread that’s trying to gauge interest and declaring that they “have no interest” is something of a false negative. It just means you as an individual won’t be buying that particular model upon its release, much like the vast majority of the 8 billion people on the planet that won’t be.

Spyderco already clearly knows what the knife market wants. There’s apparently a high demand for well made 3” slipjoints at the moment. Modifying an existing design to facilitate a different mechanism is cheaper than creating a model from the ground up. You could see it as money in the bank already.

Some person bludgeoning their way into a well-meaning thread with the attitude of Don’t make it because I don’t want it is as delusional as it is counterproductive.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

^^^^LOL!

FORUM: "a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."

I would have no interest in a Native slipjoint, but only because the handle is just not right for my hand. Otherwise, and probably for most people, it's a great idea. I hope it happens!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Flash wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:41 am
Mushroom wrote:
Flash wrote:
Bolster wrote:

Yes I know, but why come to a thread titled “Native slip joint” just to say you are not interested in a Native slip joint?
It has already been stated here that there is a rising market for such a knife, so your poll with you saying you don’t want one would be mute at this stage.

I’m not interested in many things but don’t feel like I need to make data points or formulate a chart on any of them. If it was a thread about a knife I wasn’t interested in, then I’d simply let it pass me by and go do something else with my time.

Again, if you don’t want one (when it’s released), then you don’t have to buy it. No irrelevant data points necessary, just a small amount of common sense.
Sorry but I see that mentality as being counterproductive. This isn't an echo chamber and it never will be. We all have valid thoughts and opinions we can share. Whether they conform with the majority consensus or not, doesn't matter.

Telling people not post in a thread, unless they agree with thread, is promoting ignorance. Spyderco is watching this thread to gauge actual interest in the proposed model. For all we know, there could more people who have no interest in this particular model than people who do have interest. Which could ultimately end up backfiring on Spyderco if they go through the time and investment to create it. The input of those who express no interest, is just as valuable as those who do express interest.

Spyderco makes knives for people who want them, thats how they make their money. They don’t make money from people who don’t want them. It’s basic economics.

Coming into a thread that’s trying to gauge interest and declaring that they “have no interest” is something of a false negative. It just means you as an individual won’t be buying that particular model upon its release, much like the vast majority of the 8 billion people on the planet that won’t be.

Spyderco already clearly knows what the knife market wants. There’s apparently a high demand for well made 3” slipjoints at the moment. Modifying an existing design to facilitate a different mechanism is cheaper than creating a model from the ground up. You could see it as money in the bank already.

Some person bludgeoning their way into a well-meaning thread with the attitude of Don’t make it because I don’t want it is as delusional as it is counterproductive.
What about all those wharncliffes they made that not enough people wanted to justify keeping them in production?

Will the same “high demand” for slipjoints be there in two to three years (probably longer from what we’re told though) when this knife can actually make it into production? Or will this be another wharncliffe situation where the demand is greatly overestimated and their catalog becomes oversaturated with slipjoints that very few people are actually buying?

Denigrate what I’m saying anyway you want, it won’t stop me from participating in the discussion. It’s actually motivating to participate further. Expressing disinterest in a proposed model is not advocating for it to never be made. To that regard it should not prevent anyone from expressing their own interest in any proposed model either.
-Nick :bug-red
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

............. EDIT .............

Mark
Last edited by Roefisher on Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I bought my first Native on the weekend, I’ve waited until now because I wanted to get one in hand before buying. I was concerned that its scales would be too blocky but for me they are very comfortable. After comparing it to my ‘lil Native slippy I can see there may be a market for a sturdier, full size Slipjoint.
I would like to see one in G10 if possible as I really like the look and feel of the ‘lil Native. And it allows for colour variations later. (Please ;) )
I’m happy with either model of clip but would prefer the deeper option if a wire clip was decided on.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Flash wrote:
...Coming into a thread that’s trying to gauge interest and declaring that they “have no interest” is something of a false negative...

^ I appreciate your abundant passion, but that's very odd reasoning.

What you are proposing is half of a plebiscite--you only get to vote yes. "If you're not in agreement with me, then you do not get to speak." In the tradition of armchair autocrats everywhere.

As far as the idea goes, if it helps Spyderco remain successful and in business, I'm intellectually on board--even though it's of no interest to me. If sufficient people want such a knife, a poll would certainly be more informative than an "enthusiast-shoutdown" like this cancel-culture thread has turned into.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
sal

Post by sal »

I'll always take all of the information I can. It's all valuable and I appreciate your taking the time to share.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Flash wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Flash wrote:
Bolster wrote:

I'm not interested, either, as I said earlier. Some others have said the same. However, we all affirm the right for Spyderco to make the knife for those who are interested. The purpose of such discussions is precisely that, to see who is and who is not interested. This is the kind of community that we have. We are tolerant of other people's likes and dislikes, interests and non interests.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Slippies are category in which Spyderco has barely dipped their toe. Wisely chosen models could broaden that niche for them.....of which the Native is only one of many styles they may wish to consider. Personally, I really do like my UKPK and would rather Spyderco did a model further removed from the leaf blade style of the Native and UKPK. Maybe something like a quality slip joint Melon or sampler knife with a shirt pocket clip.