A full size Native slipjoint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CDEP

Re: A full size Native slipjoint?

Post by CDEP »

Even though I can legally carry locking models here in L. A, I would buy an N5 Slippie in a heartbeat. The Native is the most ergo-perfect knife in my hand on the planet, and I'll take anything in that family.

Further, I'd certainly also buy several as gift knives for my non-geek friends. Everyone understands a slippie, and the choil would make it safe for civilians.

Full disclosure: if Sal taped an exacto blade to a pencil and called it the "Native Slim 5000" I'd buy two. That's how much I love the Natives.
Brian
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The Native is my alltime favorite knife. But if there was one thing to change about it for me, it would be the blade stock (or putting a very well thought of hollow grind on it). Put a 2.5mm blade stock on it and the same grind and it will be my grail knife.

I can't wait to be able to thin down my Natives properly with my backstand (belt grinder) !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Flash wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:20 am
Bolster wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:54 am
I think a poll is probably the way to ask this question.

Data point: I would have no interest in a Native slip.
No need for a poll. If you don’t want one then you don’t buy it. ;)

I think this is gauge-interest thread, not a post-production thread.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
cjk

Post by cjk »

I have wondered why the lil' Native was made as a slip joint instead of the Native 5 since it's my perception (maybe incorrectly) that most slipits are targeted at the UK. I'd guess the slipjoint is legal in more places and a shorter blade is legal in more places, so it's a knife that's as legal as possible. It does kinda make the lil' Native kinda like the mini-USA-Sage in that three different "locks" are offered in pretty much the same form factor. I do have my fingers crossed for a full spyderedge lil' Native slipit, preferably with a half stop. I'm a super big fan of my spyderedge lil' Native lockback. I use it a ton.

I would be in on a spyderedge Native 5 slipit, preferably with a half stop. If it were plainedge only, then I would not.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Flash wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:02 am
sal wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:43 pm
Just Talkin' Story

There was some discussion about making a regular size Native as a Slippie back when we were designing the UKPK with the group at British Blades forum. At the time, There was some concern about the appearance of the Native with its wide thick blade and full grip. We finally opted for what became the UKPK, which has been surprisingly well received for a "modern" slip-joint, though it took 20 years. There is a lesson there.

As I remember, we made a Native Slippie and I believe I sent it to Danzo as I owed him a favor. Since we're on the subject, I'd like to see response on the thread. I'll make a Native Slippie prototype. I have received a few "requests" from the Brits on the "Edge Matters" Forum. (A great group FYI), Which I will be forwarding to management planning. I will include the regular size Native Slippie as part of the list. We're making a selling quite a few Slippies at this time. So a time for a Native variation might be now?

Nothing until next summer when the expansion will be finished. But we're planning now for new models to be introduced.

sal
Hi Sal,

As much as I would like a Native slip joint, I feel like a Chaparral slip joint would be even better.
It’s a design that would potentially fill the size gap between The Urban and The UKPK - whilst at the same time bettering both as an EDC option in my humble opinion, especially in countries with draconian knife laws like the U.K.

I’ve heard rumours and rumblings of one possibly being in development but nothing concrete.

Could you confirm or deny anything about the reality of this knife?

Flash
Now, here is an idea worth considering.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

I would like to place my order today please, for an S110V LW Native 5(?) Slipit. I really
like my UKPK, it’s just a little… um… dainty sometimes. Slipits are very easy for me to
use with either of my old and getting older hands.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Flash

Post by Flash »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:24 pm
Flash wrote:
Bolster wrote:

Yes I know, but why come to a thread titled “Native slip joint” just to say you are not interested in a Native slip joint?
It has already been stated here that there is a rising market for such a knife, so your poll with you saying you don’t want one would be mute at this stage.

I’m not interested in many things but don’t feel like I need to make data points or formulate a chart on any of them. If it was a thread about a knife I wasn’t interested in, then I’d simply let it pass me by and go do something else with my time.

Again, if you don’t want one (when it’s released), then you don’t have to buy it. No irrelevant data points necessary, just a small amount of common sense.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

^ I mean I agree somewhat but spyderco doesn’t have unlimited resource to make every knife request they receive on a forum. That’s why not just creating a pro native slipit echo chamber, and get a sense of how many people want this request compared to the amount of people who don’t care about it is somewhat effective at spyderco finding out if the costs of it are worthwhile..
:bug-red-white
James Y

Post by James Y »

In any thread requesting a new knife (or a new version of a preexisting knife), you're going to get both pro and con viewpoints. That's simply the nature of a forum. In the same way that a "con" can bypass a thread about a particular subject, a "pro" can simply avoid reading the posts that don't agree with their viewpoint. It's not as if this is a sensitive subject.

The fact is, in such threads, both pro and con viewpoints are relevant. It gives the company an indication of what is desired or not, and more importantly, WHY. And it seems that more are pro-Native slipjoint than against it.

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Flash wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:49 am
Bolster wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:24 pm
Flash wrote:
Bolster wrote:

Yes I know, but why come to a thread titled “Native slip joint” just to say you are not interested in a Native slip joint?
It has already been stated here that there is a rising market for such a knife, so your poll with you saying you don’t want one would be mute at this stage.

I’m not interested in many things but don’t feel like I need to make data points or formulate a chart on any of them. If it was a thread about a knife I wasn’t interested in, then I’d simply let it pass me by and go do something else with my time.

Again, if you don’t want one (when it’s released), then you don’t have to buy it. No irrelevant data points necessary, just a small amount of common sense.
Sorry but I see that mentality as being counterproductive. This isn't an echo chamber and it never will be. We all have valid thoughts and opinions we can share. Whether they conform with the majority consensus or not, doesn't matter.

Telling people not post in a thread, unless they agree with thread, is promoting ignorance. Spyderco is watching this thread to gauge actual interest in the proposed model. For all we know, there could more people who have no interest in this particular model than people who do have interest. Which could ultimately end up backfiring on Spyderco if they go through the time and investment to create it. The input of those who express no interest, is just as valuable as those who do express interest.

Personally, I have no interest in a Native 5 slipjoint. :bug-red :respect
-Nick :bug-red
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Judging by Sal’s comments about the increasing success of Spyderco slip joints against the usual mild antipathy towards them on this forum, I can’t imagine a poll here would be particularly useful, but you never know.

There’s no need for anyone to get tetchy, though …. 🤣
sal

Post by sal »

What type of clip would be preferred?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Double tap

sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hi Sal , if I had a choice I would prefer to go wire over hourglass. My thoughts would be to help keep weight . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'm on the fence about a full size Native slipjoint. I like the idea of it. But I know I rarely carry the slipjoints I already have. I'd also prefer a wire clip though.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Flash wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:02 am
The Urban and The UKPK - whilst at the same time bettering both as an EDC option in my humble opinion, especially in countries with draconian knife laws like the U.K.
Flash
Draconian laws are certainly a good reason to carry a slip-joint! I will continue to thank heaven I live in a place w/o such laws.

The presence of a dual purpose choil is great innovation; it would be interesting to see a blade designed with tang piece that would slyly lie under the forward portion of one's grip (am fairly sure this has been done before, by someone).
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Other than legal environment dictating …. Why would someone want a slip joint over a backlock?

I’m not a Native fan (do collect the chief) but question is universal to all the models.

I adore the Delica. If I could have one in a slip joint, not certain what I gain by doing so beyond fun of expanding the collection.

I think if slip joint is the mojo - models would be made that way and we would be asking for backlock, liner lock, etc variants. No?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
James Y

Post by James Y »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:37 pm
Other than legal environment dictating …. Why would someone want a slip joint over a backlock?

I’m not a Native fan (do collect the chief) but question is universal to all the models.

I adore the Delica. If I could have one in a slip joint, not certain what I gain by doing so beyond fun of expanding the collection.

I think if slip joint is the mojo - models would be made that way and we would be asking for backlock, liner lock, etc variants. No?

CG

Outside of knife laws in certain areas, there may be some people who simply prefer a non-locking knife. And in other cases, perhaps due to hand issues (arthritis, injuries, etc.), who might find slip joints easier than dealing with blade locks.

Jim
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:39 pm
Hi Sal , if I had a choice I would prefer to go wire over hourglass.
x2 on the wire clip, but if it we're to ease cost of prototyping and production I wouldn't be mad about the standard clip.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Personally, I have found that I like slip joints in a dedicated pocket knife, especially Spyderco UKPK one hand opening knives. It is simple to take the knife out, cut, close, and put back in the pocket, faster than this can be written.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050