Looking for an EDC/slimmer wallet

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RustyIron

Re: Looking for an EDC/slimmer wallet

Post by RustyIron »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:41 pm
I'm about a month in since switching from a slim leather bifold.

Very nice! When this thread started, I posted my opinion at the time. But since then I've fully adopted the minimalist style wallet. I'm rockin' the Aviator Minimalist and I can't complain about the functionality. I like the vertical operation, as well as the notch at the end. The company sent me out the wrong wallet, and dealing with people half a world away was a challenge. I never got what I wanted, but I got some cash back. After about two years, the elastic gave out. A replacement from the factory was stupidly expensive, so made a replacement out of some generic elastic band. The thing about Aviator is that every little feature you want is going to cost a LOT over the base price. It's worse than buying a new car.

Your Westmade looks pretty nice. It has the notch I like, and it has the cutout for the cash. That looks like a cool feature. The G10 intrigues me. Until reading this post, I was thinking of getting a Ridge. Now I'm not sure. One thing is for certain: I will NEVER go back to a traditional-style wallet.

IMG_3832.jpeg
IMG_3833.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

https://chums.com/collections/wallets/p ... rts-wallet

someone got me one of these last christmas. it's a lot thinner than my old leather wallet.
:unicorn
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:53 am
The thing about Aviator is that every little feature you want is going to cost a LOT over the base price. It's worse than buying a new car.

They are Very proud of their carbon fiber, carbon/wood laminate and, especially, their titanium wallets! I would have liked to have ordered one of those, but I haven't reached that stage in my life where I can justify spending $160+ on a wallet. Especially not $438+.
Maybe be next year. :zany
I found that it's possible to purchase all the pieces separately for a little cheaper than buying a whole wallet. Edit: I was mistaken. The cover plates are not the same as the back plates, and the back plates are not available separately.
I wanted the Slide One wallet because I don't think I need the tray. But they have a closed face, and I also want the thumb slot of the open cover plate. So, with the discount and the way things are priced, I ended up ordering a regular Slide version and an extra acrylic space frame. From my research, that should give me the ability to make a Slide One wallet with an open cover plate and no tray. Edit: It did not work the way I expected. The back plates have slots (for the band) cut into them. And the regular Slide wallet does not have screw holes in the back plate. As opposed to the Slide One back plates which do use screws. I'm thinking that I should have ordered the Slide One wallet with an additional open face cover plate.
That's assuming I receive the correct items. Yours isn't the first that I've read of people not getting the correct wallet. I ordered the green color, we'll see what i end up with.
:grin-sweat

Edit: Added some info that I learned, after receiving the wallet.
Last edited by Buddafucco on Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Thumb slot? I never knew what that was for. Another feature that seemed appealing was the AirTag holder. I thought of copying the Ridge AirTag holder and making something for my Aviator, but it would have added substantial thickness to the wallet. The appeal of such a wallet is in its thinness, so I abandoned the idea.

270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

That looks sleek, Beau.

I was 100% infatuated with Craft and Lore’s Port Wallet. Infatuated. They posted a video on how to saddle stitch using it as the example, so I found some decent leather and made my own. Complete rip-off. Then I found a good deal on a Ridge on eBay. After several months with the Ridge, my son came home from college and wanted it. So I was back to my homemade.

Fast forward to me finding another eBay deal, this time on a legit Port. Leather on it was a little thinner than mine, and it was overall a bit more refined. Carried that one a couple months, then son came home again.

…I’m now carrying a Craft and Lore rip-off, and my son has 2 pretty sweet wallets.